Zumba Fitness anyone?

Options
I ordered the Zumba Fitness collection today and I'm so excited to try it out.......however I'm very overweight and I really hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. I keep hearing how much fun it is and how you can do it no matter how big/small you are and no matter what kind of shape you are in. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any advice for a couch potato looking to get active again?

Replies

• red_chicklet
    Options
    I tried it last summer and I have no coordination what so ever! But it is fun :) I hope to try it again soon
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of fun as long as you don't watch the video and expect to dance like the dancers. No way, Jose. They are pros! And very good. I'm not a bad dancers and some of the moves they do have taken me over a year and a half to learn. But I just stick with it and have tons of fun.

Nothing wrong with shakin' your booty and sweatin'!
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I take zumba classes and do zumba on the wii. It takes a little getting used to, the main thing is to keep moving!! The more you do it, the easier it becomes! It's a very good cardio workout! GOOD LUCK!
  • rach198823
    Options
    I just did it last night actually first time. I am a person with no rhythm what so ever and my co ordination is shocking I admit I was awful at it. But I had fun and its good to laugh at yourself sometimes hopefully go again next week xx
  • npeters519
    npeters519 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I have DVD's and the Wii game and I go to classes whenever I can!

I am not svelte dancer type either. My advice is to just get up, keep moving even if you aren't doing it "right" move in time with the music and you'll be burning those calories off! The best part about Zumba is that it's fun! No one cares if you dont' get it right in class, and no one's going to see if you get it wrong at home.

Have fun!!!
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just remember to go at your own pace. It can be so fun that you forget how much your doing and you will pay for it the next day. Its been a few months since i did any Zumba. I have recently gotten into DDR (Dance, Dance Revolution). Having a blast with that. Keep at it and it does get easier.
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    omjeepers i am jealous! i go to the classes and want the vids so bad. i big heart zumba. don't worry about busting the moves right even in the class we have older ppl and ppl that have a hard time keeping up with the moves and we all still have fun!! while working our tails off! yay for you!!!!
  • Stinkybug
    Stinkybug Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have just started using it at home as well. I can't really keep up with the instructors yet and I am not coordinated at all but I do have a lot of fun trying : ) I had to buy a mat to put over the carpet because I can't move my feet fast enough on the carpet (my shoes grab). Give it a try, I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You can do it! If you need to modify the moves to make it work for you! Every little bit counts! Stick with it and have fun!
  • beaglenutty
    beaglenutty Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I have it for the wii and I do it at home:) Im too afraid to do a class at the gym lolIts so much fun!
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA...because I love to dance, however, I usually go to class. In class, there are short periods of "between music" time where they ask you to "march in place" to keep your heart rate up. Some participants move their fanny off, and I am still getting to that point LOL. Main thing is that I sweat. I actually did the Cardio party at home. In the DVD's they move fast. Just take your time and move at your pace. My goal is to get to the level they are moving...and it continues to be fun! That is the main thing. Hope that helped :)

13985887.png
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have zero sense of natural rhythm, so I'd never want to take a class for zumba. But I have it for Wii, and LOVE it! It's a killer cardio workout, burns a ton of calories, and is so fun that you don't realize that you're exercising! You'll love it!
  • gretchjackson
    gretchjackson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've never done the videos but am ADDICTED to Zumba! Once you get the idea from the DVDs, I suggest finding a local class. There is nothing like it, no matter how big or small. Our instructor gives modifications for the less fit. It's like a one hour dance-a-thon and you burn SO MANY CALORIES. Good luck. Hope you love it!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi , i love zumba - i am very overweight, not as much as i was but i started zumba when i was alot bigger. Yes i'm not going to lie to you its very knackering but very enjoyable. I would say anybody can do it, don't give up on the first go though - some of the moves are tricky but once u get the hang of it its great. I go to 3 classes a week, Good luck xx
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    Don't give up after one try! Keep at it. It totally sucks the first time if you aren't coordinated like myself but you do get the hang of it and it becomes fun.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the first set of Zumba Fitness dvd's off of Amazon.com. I as well keep hearing how much fun it is, I even have a friend who is a Zumba instructor. She just got married and went on a honeymoon, her bikini pics are freakin out of this world, she is seriously ripped. Don't expect to dance as good as they do, not now, perhaps never. But just focus on the movements. I researched a lot of zumba videos before I bought some. I saw old women, like 82+ old dancing in these classes. That is the best thing about Zumba. You take it at your pace. If you can't keep up, find a pace that works and just go with it. It's about moving, just keep moving. I am doing it in my basement with my mom. Its so much fun to have something to do with her! Just make sure you do it on tile. Doing Zumba on carpet can tear your knees up as there is a lot of shuffling and twisting. HAVE FUN WITH IT! You can do it!!!
    And add me if you want :) Looking for some support for my weight loss goals as well as making some new friends with common goals!
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As an instructor I will tell you, there's no "right" way to do ZUMBA. All you need to do is focus on having fun. The steps will come with time. Just feel the music, and smile a lot :)

I love Zumba! I have DVD's and the Wii game and I go to classes whenever I can!

I am not svelte dancer type either. My advice is to just get up, keep moving even if you aren't doing it "right" move in time with the music and you'll be burning those calories off! The best part about Zumba is that it's fun! No one cares if you dont' get it right in class, and no one's going to see if you get it wrong at home.

Have fun!!!
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I loved Zumba so much that I signed up to become an instructor - after only my 2nd class! I will be a licensed Zumba Instructor as of Feb. 25th!

If you try not to take yourself too seriously and do it for the joy of just DOING it, it's amazingly fun! Too many people try to do the moves "perfectly" or look like a dancer. I used to BE a dancer, and I admit that even I look goofy as heck sometimes!

Best of luck to you - and I'll be surprised if you don't enjoy yourself!
  • Venus2011
    Options
    I have just finished my 4th month of Zumba class and love it. Never did it with Wii. If you can move your arms and feet, you are dancing. I have the dvd's but have not done Zumba at home. I do other exercises when at home, just to shake things up a bit. Enjoy and remember to have FUN!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
  • Angie0rtiz
    Options
    I borrowed one from a friend once and didnt really like it because it was to fast and hard to keep up. I have also taken a few classes with a another friend of mine at her gym, and I really like it. I get FitTv on demand and they have Zumba too. Its really fun! *Suggestion- if it looks to hard to move, just try in the way your body can hadle it.* It fun though I ope it works for you. If it make you feel any better Im like 100lbs over weight n I really enjoyed it!