SOS! Im clearly doing this whole thing wrong... 2months, no

Options
Status: 32 female, 5'8, 157lbs current - gained about 15lbs last year (in 2 months) when my doc put me on Prozac. I have since changed prescriptions; but havent been able to lose the weight
I was between 140-145 for most of my adult life, so I know my body is good at that weight and I just want to get back to it.
Getting married in August and VERY dedicated to losing 20lbs by then
Training for a full Marathon in May
Been on MFP consistently for 2 months
Havent lost a SINGLE pound OR inches in 2 months and I am really losing my mind.:explode:
Was on 1200 calories per day; but many have suggested to increase my net, so I recently raised my total between 15-1700.*
Run 3-4x per week (between 3-5miles) with one long run on the weekend (up to 10 right now)
Also do Pilates and workout DVD's (currently 30DS) 2-3x per week
I drink a TON of water & no more soda
Allow myself one real cheat day.
I am trying to make this weight-loss a LIFESTYLE change; so I havent really cut anything that I love out of my diet (ie. alcohol - although significantly decreased) because I dont want to feel like I am depriving myself - everything now is in moderation though

Im frustrated for many reasons - obviously, because Im not accomplishing my goals OR seeing any progress
But....
1. I went from not working out at all, to working out 4-5x a week - nothing
2. My eating habits have changed 180 degrees, - nothing
3. I see my fellow MFP friends all losing; and while I am thrilled for them, I cant for the life of my figure out what I am doing wrong... I feel like Im doing the same things but with NO results

I have taken & absorded all advice given to me thru friends, MFP, research - I am not a patient person by nature, and I can feel myself slipping.... i CANT - my wedding is my motivation. BUT... geez, I really want to start seeing progress & whatever Im doing wrong, I WANT to change it.
Any & ALL advice is appreciated.
My diary is open
:heart: Thanks!

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Well first let me say that you are one of my favorite people and I KNOW you have success coming to you! :flowerforyou:

I had a very annoying, horrible plateau from about mid-summer through December.. well actually I gained weight but I still worked out hard and logged *as best I could*.. for me, what changed was increasing my calories and decreasing carbs a bit.. I get most of my carbs from veggies and fruits.. I've done interval training which is something I learned in a book re: my metabolism.. I've incorporated early morning workouts which in the past I always swore off. Maybe you could trial one of these and rule out as you go along. I know I found myself so frustrated because I thought I was doing everything right, but a few tiny tweeks and I'm down 10 # in January alone. Don't give up. You will have success, Taylor! :love:
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You will get there!!! I was thinking a couple things, low carb definitely works, I have switched to quinoa pasta, which is actually really good; if I have rice it's brown, or I make quinoa with low sodium chicken or veg broth... As kerri said, interval training really works, it helps to burn the fat/calories...also do you do any weights, or pushups/pullups to build muscle? The more muscle you have the more calories you burn...good luck, don't get discouraged! Where are you doing your marathon? I did Dublin and Honolulu for the Arthritis Foundation...
  • amandarae1980
    amandarae1980 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It took my body close to two months to respond to the changes I was making, too. It is incredibly frustrating! It sounds like you're doing everything right, so I would say stick with it. The only suggestion I could possibly make would be to see if your body has a negative reaction to carbs -- maybe just cut back a bit or stop eating them after 3 PM. I think some people are more sensitive to them than others.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Ok...I took the time and looked at your food diary all the way back to the beginning of December. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. You haven't been 100% consistent with filling in the whole day....(I understand the holidays, but there were quite a few not filled in otherwise) and if it was complete, then you had a VERY low day.

2. About 95% of the days where it looked like it was complete, you did not even net 1200 calories, let alone your goal. So you actually are NOT hitting the 1500-1700 goal like you said...actually I think there is only one or two days recently where you were even in that range.

3. Your macros (carbs, protein, and fat) are set to the MFP default (not bad, but could use some tweaking)

So, based on my observations....(ha ha I sound so smart, but take it with a grain of salt...lol)

First, you need to find the number that works for you. MFP isn't always the best way to come up with your calorie needs for fat loss. The optimal and sustainable way to lose weight is to deduct about 20% off of your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). To get a good estimate of that, you take your BMR and multiply by an activity factor.

(Activity Factor)
    Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e. marathon, contest etc.)

MFP says that your BMR is 1471which is a huge approximation--so keep in mind that this # and the numbers below are approximate...

So, if YOU (the OP) are:
    sedentary, your TDEE is 1756 - 20% = (351 cal deficit) is 1399 net calories/day goal
    lightly active, your TDEE is 2022 - 20% = (404 cal deficit) is 1618 net calories/day goal <----your goal now, no?
    moderately active, your TDEE is 2280 - 20% = (456 cal deficit) is 1824 net calories/day goal
    very active, your TDEE is 2537 - 20% = (507 cal deficit) is 2030 net calories/day goal
    extremely active, your TDEE is 2794 - 20% = (559 cal deficit) is 2235 net calories/day goal

I think most people fall in the sedentary or lightly active category NOT counting exercise. And if you are going to use MFP the way it is set up (log exercise and eat back the calories), then I recommend picking one of those two (UNLESS your job is very physical). IF---you DON'T want to log exercise/eat back calories---pick the activity factor that suits you and don't log exercise.

So, it sounds like maybe you are on the right track.. But how consistent are you with you food logging and actually meeting your calorie goal?

Here is what I would do:
    1. Be more consistent. Log all foods everyday. Even cheat days.
    2. Weigh/measure if at all possible. Check labels. Be as accurate as possible.
    3. Consider a HRM (if you plan on eating exercise calories) so you have a better idea of what your calorie burn is.
    4. Change your settings so that you are getting AT LEAST 1g protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, AT LEAST 0.35-0.45g fat per total body weight, and the rest of your calories however you want (staying within your calorie goal). TRY to get as close or over the protein everyday!! This will help you preserve your lean body mass (muscle, connective tissue, bone, etc.) while dieting.
    5. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! At a 20% (but remember--optimal and sustainable) deficit, you may only lose 1/2 to 1 pound per week. This loss can also be masked by water retention (good to track sodium) and can be even smaller if you are inaccurate and inconsistent.

Give it 100% and do your absolute best and you will do well. Slow and steady wins the race.

I am definitely no expert.....just my 2 cents.....there are other opinions, I'm sure. :flowerforyou:
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ok...I took the time and looked at your food diary all the way back to the beginning of December. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. You haven't been 100% consistent with filling in the whole day....(I understand the holidays, but there were quite a few not filled in otherwise) and if it was complete, then you had a VERY low day.

2. About 95% of the days where it looked like it was complete, you did not even net 1200 calories, let alone your goal. So you actually are NOT hitting the 1500-1700 goal like you said...actually I think there is only one or two days recently where you were even in that range.

3. Your macros (carbs, protein, and fat) are set to the MFP default (not bad, but could use some tweaking)

So, based on my observations....(ha ha I sound so smart, but take it with a grain of salt...lol)

First, you need to find the number that works for you. MFP isn't always the best way to come up with your calorie needs for fat loss. The optimal and sustainable way to lose weight is to deduct about 20% off of your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). To get a good estimate of that, you take your BMR and multiply by an activity factor.

(Activity Factor)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e. marathon, contest etc.)

MFP says that your BMR is 1471which is a huge approximation--so keep in mind that this # and the numbers below are approximate...

So, if YOU (the OP) are:
    sedentary, your TDEE is 1756 - 20% = (351 cal deficit) is 1399 net calories/day goal
    lightly active, your TDEE is 2022 - 20% = (404 cal deficit) is 1618 net calories/day goal <----your goal now, no?
    moderately active, your TDEE is 2280 - 20% = (456 cal deficit) is 1824 net calories/day goal
    very active, your TDEE is 2537 - 20% = (507 cal deficit) is 2030 net calories/day goal
    extremely active, your TDEE is 2794 - 20% = (559 cal deficit) is 2235 net calories/day goal

I think most people fall in the sedentary or lightly active category NOT counting exercise. And if you are going to use MFP the way it is set up (log exercise and eat back the calories), then I recommend picking one of those two (UNLESS your job is very physical). IF---you DON'T want to log exercise/eat back calories---pick the activity factor that suits you and don't log exercise.

So, it sounds like maybe you are on the right track.. But how consistent are you with you food logging and actually meeting your calorie goal?

Here is what I would do:
    3. Consider a HRM (if you plan on eating exercise calories) so you have a better idea of what your calorie burn is.
    4. Change your settings so that you are getting AT LEAST 1g protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, AT LEAST 0.35-0.45g fat per total body weight, and the rest of your calories however you want (staying within your calorie goal). TRY to get as close or over the protein everyday!! This will help you preserve your lean body mass (muscle, connective tissue, bone, etc.) while dieting.
    5. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! At a 20% (but remember--optimal and sustainable) deficit, you may only lose 1/2 to 1 pound per week. This loss can also be masked by water retention (good to track sodium) and can be even smaller if you are inaccurate and inconsistent.

Give it 100% and do your absolute best and you will do well. Slow and steady wins the race.

I am definitely no expert.....just my 2 cents.....there are other opinions, I'm sure. :flowerforyou:

Great response, lady! Helped me, too. Sometimes it helps to hear stuff we already 'know' said back to us again. You are awesome for doing this for OP, and I am sure it helped others like me, too!!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Great response Carrie!!! When I started lifting I moved my calories up and feel so much better...may lose weight slower, but hopefully it stays gone!
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Great advice above!
    I looked at your journal too. In January i would say almost 1/2 your days you either didn't finish filling out or you just didn't eat enough. You had days as low as 300 and as high as 2000. If you really only eat very little one day or for a few days it would make since that when you have a higher day your body holds onto it because it thinks your going to starve again. With your ups and downs it makes since that your maintaining weight.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • PoochPottery
    Options

(Activity Factor)

So, if YOU (the OP) are:

Here is what I would do:

THIS!! :flowerforyou:
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    What worked for me when I hit a plateau was to shift my carb/protein ratio. I currently aim for over 100g of protein a day, and under 100g of carbs. I kept my calories the same (1500ish), but as soon as I cut down on carbs I dropped a bunch of weight.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Carrie is my weight-loss GURU! :)

Thank you SOOO much!
    I think the idea of upping my protein, less carbs will help.
    The conclusion I am coming to is that I might THINK I know what Im doing - but I still have a LOT to learn.
    :love: MUAW to everyone!
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    What worked for me when I hit a plateau was to shift my carb/protein ratio. I currently aim for over 100g of protein a day, and under 100g of carbs. I kept my calories the same (1500ish), but as soon as I cut down on carbs I dropped a bunch of weight.

excellent idea~ gonna implement! thx
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice already - and I'll add one thing. A lot of times when we start new exercise programs (going from nothing to something or switching what we do), muscles will retain water. Once you get more used to the workout, usually there is a good weight drop. This could be your weight being stagnant or even gaining weight. I always gain a few pounds after starting to workout, and it takes sometimes a few weeks for me to drop them again, and then actually lose more weight. It could partly just be that your body takes a while to adjust.