this BMR thing...

Options
Hanni
Hanni Posts: 158 Member
I am confused. I read the newbie posts again and I still have my question about the BMR.

I am sorry I am sure this has been asked millions of times but to save me having to search for the answer, maybe some of th MFP experts can help :flowerforyou:

Q: I understand that BMR is the minimum calories I should eat per day. Does this mean that even if I want to lose weight, I should not go below my BMR rate? I calculated my BMR on here and it said:

Your estimated BMR is: 1,492 calories/day

But when I asked MFP for a weightloss of 1.5 lbs per week it only gives me 1200 calories.

So my question is, what should I be eating? Should I manually change my goal to my BMR rate of 1492 calories per day, or should I stick to my current 1200 cals / day? :ohwell:

This is so confusing. :frown:

Please could someone explain this to me once and for all?

Thanks so much x

PS: I am already struggling to eat 1200 calories per day, so I am not trying to get more calories out of this than I should. I am just worried I dont eat enough and thats why I have such a hard time losing the weight.

Replies

• chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do hope that in the next couple of hours the experts will answer you ... :happy: I think this is what they will say but a lot better explained than me!!!
    The site gives people 1200 which is the min ...stick with your 1400 odd, undereat and the weight won't come off because your body will hold onto it thinking you are in starvation mode. Feed your body to give it the energy to burn the weight off.
    I stuck with the 1200 originally but I am small and didn't have much to lose anyway. Since I achieved my goal I am actually finding it harder to maintain .....
    Godd luck :drinker:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I want to know this to Because My BMR is 1562 I dont understand this either MFp wants me to eat 1250
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I want to know this to Because My BMR is 1562 I dont understand this either MFp wants me to eat 1250

1562 is what you need to eat to stay the way you are

1250 is what you need to eat to lose weight
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options

NICELY SAID:laugh:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate. The base number of calories your body needs to carry on basic function period.
    Maintenance calories is your BMR + calories you use doing daily activites- walking, showering brushing teeth.

MFP calculates your deficit by taking your maintenance calories - your deficit. You can just stick to eating around your BMR and no or a few exercise calories.

You can stay at 1200 calories if it is close to your BMR (like within 100 or so). Or you can stay there for a short period of time ( a couple weeks).
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    What Dave said is wrong. Sorry if I confused you Shanta

If you eat 1562 you will still lose weight. If your BMR is 1562 your Maintenance is probably around 1874 is you are sedentary. That would leave you with a 300 calorie deficit which would have you losing around .5 pounds per week without exercise.

so
    1874 to stay the way your are
    1562 to lose 0.5 pounds
    1250 to lose 1.5 pounds

Barring any metabolic issues/or other health problems etc.

Hope this helps

NICELY SAID:laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OK I'll give you the break down.

BMR is one of the 3 factors that play into your maintenance calories or (in technical terms) your active metabolic rate.

BMR is the energy required for your organs and nerves to function.

the other two are thermogenisys and activity calories (like exercise, walking around, using the tv remote, breathing...etc). Add those three together and you have your maintenance calories.

BMR is NOT, I repeat, is NOT. What you need to eat to stay the same weight.

For most people BMR is somewhere between 60 and 75 % of your total maintenance calories.

Generally it is safe to eat below your BMR if you are Obese because even though it takes more calories then what you are eating to run your body, you have fat stores to make up the difference.

Once you drop our of the obese stage, you should raise the amount of calories you eat, usually to somewhere equal to or above your BMR. People who are at their maintenance weight or close to it should not eat lower then their BMR.

Mind you this is NET calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    thats all true

I was under the impression that MFP adds the three #'s together to give the starting number of calories

my bad
  • Hanni
    Options
    OK I'll give you the break down.

BMR is one of the 3 factors that play into your maintenance calories or (in technical terms) your active metabolic rate.

BMR is the energy required for your organs and nerves to function.

the other two are thermogenisys and activity calories (like exercise, walking around, using the tv remote, breathing...etc). Add those three together and you have your maintenance calories.

BMR is NOT, I repeat, is NOT. What you need to eat to stay the same weight.

For most people BMR is somewhere between 60 and 75 % of your total maintenance calories.

Generally it is safe to eat below your BMR if you are Obese because even though it takes more calories then what you are eating to run your body, you have fat stores to make up the difference.

Once you drop our of the obese stage, you should raise the amount of calories you eat, usually to somewhere equal to or above your BMR. People who are at their maintenance weight or close to it should not eat lower then their BMR.

Mind you this is NET calories.

Hi and thanks for all this info! I am now 170 lbs and want to get to 140 lbs (I am 5ft 4 inches / 163cm).
    Should I be eating my BMR then or am I still OK to go under and eat 1200 (and add exercise calories whenever i earn some) ?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    IMHO at 170, a 5'4" woman of 25 should be right at or maybe slightly above your BMR calories. Your BMI is 29, and while BMI is a flawed calculation, it's accurate enough to estimate what part of the journey you are on in the wide sense. Obviously I'm not a Registered Dietician, so take my advice for what it's worth, but if you eat a nutritious diet, exercise regularly, and eat at a moderate caloric deficit, you WILL lose weight in a healthy way!

Best luck to you.
  • Hanni
    Options
    SHBoss

thanks so much for all your advise. I have upped my calorie intake to 1380 now which according to MFP is the amount for the recommended 1 lb per week loss. I have also lowered my fat and upped my fibre goal.

And thanks again for answering my question. I am aware these questions are asked a million times over and its so nice that people on here still take the time to answer.

:flowerforyou: