60 carb, 20 fat, 20 protein

Options
are these healthy percentages for weight loss? also it is okay to increase fiber to 20g a day? in addition i also reduced my sodium from 2500 to 1500 bc i felt that it was bloating me up.

Replies

• Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Reading the posts on this site, you will see most people tweak the percentages until they find what works for them.

I use 30g of Fiber as my goal, and I usually am right around 30, if not a little over.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the 60/20/20 ratios are typically for "elite athletes" who are training so hard that they are nonstop energy burning machines.

I've gotten myself into excellent shape with P90X and I'm nervous about dropping from 50/30/20 to 40/40/20 on Sunday.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    no one needs a lot of sodium. it can progressively lead to cellulite and is bad for you in so many ways. i should lower mine too...but i love salt!
  • cassieohlaa
    Options
    so i changed it to 55 carb, 20 protein, and 25 fat...

is this better for weight loss?
  • rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    Options
    That is not enough for you. Please remember that our bodies need fat, carbs, and protein to burn calories. Your carb intake should be between 150-250 per day depending on your total caloric intake. Protein can go up to about 100 d day, and fats should be about 30 to 40. A person that eats a 2000 calorie diet normally eats up to 60 grams a day. Try to eat half that. Fiber is also your friend. Don't be scared to increase your daily intake. A normal intake for a woman is 25 a day, and 30 for a man. I eat about 50 grams per day somedays. Your body does not digest fiber, and a fiber protein combo will help you feel full and give you energy.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    You should try 40 protein, 40 carb, 20 fat. You are eating way too much carb, not nearly enough protein.
  • FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    40 carb, 40 protein, 20 fat would be better (as singfree said)......60 carbs is too much (unless you're a training machine) and ideally you want a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein (or EVEN better would be a 1:1 ratio as it is when you're eating 40 C, 40 P, 20 F)....having the protein with the carbs set up like that will prevent big increases in insulin spikes when you eat!....oh - and i guess i should say that each meal should me set up with these ratios - so don't go eat a giant bowl of pasta for one meal (all carb) and then a giant pile of chicken at the next (all protein) and then hope for your ratios to add up at the end - it doesn't work that way and it defeats the purpose of the ratios......good luck! :flowerforyou: