Starting Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Options
Just purchased the DVD, Hand Weights and a Mat. Ive seen some pretty great result pictures from doing this. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Replies

• heathermarie311
    Options
    I was at target and i had the dvd in hand and thought to my self... Heather are you really going to use this dvd, i set it down and walked away, but not all i keep thinking about is the dvd lol might have to go back and buy it
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tonight :)
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Great! I love this DVD. Pointer
    1. You may want to do a few more minutes of a warm up before you start the video, her warm-up is short, something like a brisk 10 min walk would be great if possible
    2. Do a much longer cool down then the video has
    3. I started with 3lb weights
    4. Not sure if you are planning 30 days straight, but I did the video 3 days a week and other forms of cardio 3 days a week (mostly running but also elliptical, swimming, biking). 2 weeks per level. One day rest
    5. Use your own music once you get the hang of the moves

Have fun!
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I keep saying "Meh, I'll start tomorrow". It's just super intimidating for me, because I KNOW I'm not going to make it all the way through that DVD without stopping.
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 9 and my tummy is noticeably smaller.

ETA: I shred 5 days with two days off and go to the gym for an hour 6 days a week.
  • 4colamom
    Options
    I'm starting today.
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Day 5 for me. It's hard, but I already feel better. Drink a ton of water. And if you plan to do the whole 30 days straight through, do it. Don't try to talk yourself out of it because you feel sore. I was miserable the morning after I started, but did Day 2 that night. 5 days in and I'm hardly sore at all. I won't say it gets easy, but it gets better.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to the routine, if you are like me, you will want to drown out Jillian's voice as much as you can, so have your own music ready! :-) I would eat some fruit before you work out for some sugar and have some water to sip at, too. Push yourself to work up to harder modifications when you can and keep moving when you can- when she is rambling between different moves, if you can- start doing the next one! Supplement other cardio at LEAST 3 days a week. I did cardio 5 days a week for at least an hour and strength train 3 days a week. I did the shred every day for 30 days (Jan 2nd - Jan 31st) and got the following results:

Measures:

Neck 13 --> 12
    Waist 34 --> 27
    Hips 39 --> 36
    Navel 35.5 --> 34
    Chest 36 --> 35
    Quad 22 --> 21.5
    Calf 14.75 --> 13.5
    Bicep 13.5 --> 12.5
    Shoulders 43.5 --> 42
    Weight: 167 --> 160.8

I took before and after pics and there is a huge difference...but too shy to post here for everybody! If you want to see I can PM them to you! Good luck and have fun!
  • bjlovesjb
    bjlovesjb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pointers, but i did it for 30 days straight and saw great results! I would recommend it to anyone!
  • heathermarie311
    Options
    So i am thniking that might go buy it then. i hate feeling out of place when working out tho.
  • kt31
    kt31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's really not bad it's broken down into 3 levels, so just start on level 1 with warm up & cool down it's only 22 mins so it flys by but is effective ;)
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I got the video and started last night! It was a HUMBLING experience to say the least... But I made it through...and you can also!

I did mine in my basement (it's carpeted) but over concrete... My knees hurt both last night and today. I'm stopping at Walmart to get a mini trampoline for the jumping work (a suggestion I picked up on MFP). I have 5 pound hand weights and they KILLED me so be cognizant that it's a real workout!

Seriously, I truly believe that if I can do this, anyone can! I have 92 pounds to lose and minute 3 I was huffing and puffling. LOL But I will do better tonight!
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    i started mine in february...

as in i started it yesterday
  • MrsJayDubya
    MrsJayDubya Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had it for years and have never opened it. I plan to start this weekend. Good Luck!! I enjoy the pointers listed so far!!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i started mine in february...

as in i started it yesterday

Ok, this really cracked me up! :laugh:
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    lol thanks yep this is day 5 yep yep and of course flow is here to ruin uit ahhh
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I keep saying "Meh, I'll start tomorrow". It's just super intimidating for me, because I KNOW I'm not going to make it all the way through that DVD without stopping.

Honestly I thought that too, but hey I made it through my first workout. I am a pretty strong woman but I started with 3 lb weights also and you can feel it TRUST ME!!! Good luck and anyone feel free to add me I am on day 3 so far today
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    Great! I love this DVD. Pointer
    1. You may want to do a few more minutes of a warm up before you start the video, her warm-up is short, something like a brisk 10 min walk would be great if possible
    2. Do a much longer cool down then the video has
    3. I started with 3lb weights
    4. Not sure if you are planning 30 days straight, but I did the video 3 days a week and other forms of cardio 3 days a week (mostly running but also elliptical, swimming, biking). 2 weeks per level. One day rest
    5. Use your own music once you get the hang of the moves

Have fun!

You gave real good pointers. I started it last Saturday but again could do only for 4 days in that week. Felt like my muscles were tearing out of my body :(

With your note, I got confidence that I better go with "Slow and Steady" way than rushing and leaving out of pain.
    Thank you so much!!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Day 17 here. For those just starting out, really watch your form, especially on squats and lunges. I hurt my knee on day 3 and I am JUST now able to do the jumping jacks again. BUT You will get results!!! I am down 12lbs and not sure how many inches. Weigh in is tomorrow so I will measure then! :)
  • C1aire80
    C1aire80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    im on day 19. I do it every day and although I class myself as really unfit I can now do most of level 2. I would say stick with it and dont stress if you cant do it all. its amazing how fast you progress if you do it every day! good luck with it and feel free to add me if you like.