down almost 9 pounds in three weeks, then two weeks with no

Options
F, 5' 4" Starting weight: 192.4 Current weight 183.2

I'm confused. I've been tracking calories for about a month now (yes, I use a scale, no I'm not doing keto or any of that jazz, just old fashioned cutting calories and portion control). I generally average between 1100 and 1400 calories a day, trying to stay between 1200 and 1300.

My workouts since the begining of the year are as follows:

Monday: 45 minute run on a track (or outside) or 45 minutes on an elliptical trainer
Tuesday: 30 minute strength training workout, 45 minutes on an elliptical
Wednesday: 45 minute run on a track (or outside) or 45 minutes on an elliptical, followed by a 30 min minimum Workout DVD (for reference, last night did Kempo X)
Thursday: 30 minute strength training, 45 on an elliptical
Friday: 30 minutes strength training, 45 on an elliptical
Saturday: Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown, minimum of 45 on an elliptical
Sunday: Rest

I know strength training is vauge: Currently I'm Squatting 90, pressing 55, and Shoulder pressing 20 pound dumbells. I do shoulders and arms together, legs and abs together and chest and back together.

I've been tracking my calories pretty strictly and even on the days where I exceed my 1200 calorie goal I am still *well* under what MFP says my goal should be with exercise -- but I haven't seen the scales move in two week. At week one I was thinking "Psh, ain't no thing. water weight." but now I'm not so sure -- especially after the dramatic weight loss in the first three weeks.

It appears that I'm doing everything right, so why am I stuck?

Replies

• Ms_Cindyrella
    Ms_Cindyrella Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't get discourage and never give up. Everyone is different. My daughter tells me don't give up if your scale does not show a loss, its inches that count, because muscles weight more than fat. Hang in there
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm just a random person on a message board so take this with a grain of salt ;-) but with a daily goal of 1200 and doing all that exercise, I feel like you should consider eating back some of those exercise calories. I took a look at your food diary (hope you don't mind, since you're looking for suggestions) - when you eat 1100 and burn off 1050 through exercise that day, you're leaving only 50 calories for your body to perform basic daily functions. When you eat 1000 and burn 800, your body only has 200 to fuel your heart, brain, and other organs. That's very very little for your body to try and stay healthy and get stronger in conjunction with all the effort you're putting into your exercise. Some people find that if they don't give their body extra fuel for their workouts, they hit a plateau in weightloss. I can't say for sure if that's what's happening to you, I'm no expert, however I can tell you that I have eaten my exercise calories this entire time and have never experienced a plateau for longer than a week (which is not even long enough to call a plateau). That's just my personal experience, so again take it for what it's worth. :-) If you're nervous about eating those exercise calories b/c you're not sure if they're accurate (if you're using gym machine estimates or MFP estimates, etc), consider purchasing a heartrate monitor with a chest strap that will help estimate your workout calories so you can feel confident when you eat those extras. You are working really hard, make sure your body is getting what it needs to keep up with your efforts. :-)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    most of your early loss was probably water weight being dumped...and the shock to your system. its very difficult to lose 3 pounds of fat per week. your body is adjusting. however, you probably aren't eating enough. your goal should be to NET at least 1200 calories a day. that means that you should eat 1200 + exercise calories. for now, try just eating back half of your exercise calories. if you don't want to eat that much, exercise less...because you might not be giving your muscles enough time to recover.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm just a random person on a message board so take this with a grain of salt ;-) but with a daily goal of 1200 and doing all that exercise, I feel like you should consider eating back some of those exercise calories. I took a look at your food diary (hope you don't mind, since you're looking for suggestions) - when you eat 1100 and burn off 1050 through exercise that day, you're leaving only 50 calories for your body to perform basic daily functions. When you eat 1000 and burn 800, your body only has 200 to fuel your heart, brain, and other organs. That's very very little for your body to try and stay healthy and get stronger in conjunction with all the effort you're putting into your exercise. Some people find that if they don't give their body extra fuel for their workouts, they hit a plateau in weightloss. I can't say for sure if that's what's happening to you, I'm no expert, however I can tell you that I have eaten my exercise calories this entire time and have never experienced a plateau for longer than a week (which is not even long enough to call a plateau). That's just my personal experience, so again take it for what it's worth. :-) If you're nervous about eating those exercise calories b/c you're not sure if they're accurate (if you're using gym machine estimates or MFP estimates, etc), consider purchasing a heartrate monitor with a chest strap that will help estimate your workout calories so you can feel confident when you eat those extras. You are working really hard, make sure your body is getting what it needs to keep up with your efforts. :-)

Agreed!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    In my own personal experience... I've had it happen where I was toning for the first 3 months or so but not really seeing much on the scale even though my clothes were getting smaller. Then after 3 months the weight started to fall off rapidly.
    It happens differently for everyone though, so hang in there.
  • AlaskanPhoenix
    Options

That is a whole lot of what I was going to say! You are working out A LOT, and not taking in very many calories. This may be putting your body into "starvation" mode. Try throwing some more calories in there.

Think of your metabolism like a wood burning stove; You put your kindling (calories) in there to get it going and fire it up, but if you want it to burn hotter, you have to give it more.

A while ago at my gym I also saw a fitness tip for breaking plateaus. Try mixing up your diet. Go super low carb or super low fat for a few days--while still maintaining your calories-- to "shock" your metabolism.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am really not trying to be negative, but I don't see how you can do all those exercises and not pass out because of your lack of food. Also, a side note, how are you able to run for 45 minutes without stopping (again w/o the energy from food) - have you been running for a while? What's your secret? How many miles are you running in that time?
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    did you do any measuring at the same time? are your clothes fitting any better? i haven't lost hardly anything pound wise but am losing a lot of inches. Also you can try calorie staggering some days i eat more calories and some days less. Some days i exercise more and some times less. I do anything i can to keep shocking my body. Don't get too discouraged it's a Marathon not a Sprint. You didn't gain it all in one week it's not going to come off in one week. You can add me if you want to see what i'm talking about.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I am really not trying to be negative, but I don't see how you can do all those exercises and not pass out because of your lack of food. Also, a side note, how are you able to run for 45 minutes without stopping (again w/o the energy from food) - have you been running for a while? What's your secret? How many miles are you running in that time?

um, I can run for 45 minutes at a time in the middle of a 24 hour fast. I can also bike for over an hour at a pretty good pace 22 hours into a 24 hour fast. I have done sprint interval training in the middle of a 24 hour fast. I've done all of these things without coming close to passing out. maybe some of us just have super powers...or, maybe, its really possible to do this (so long as you are fully hydrated and have convinced your mind that you can).
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I actually lost 10 lbs the first week. then gained back 3 lbs and stayed there for two weeks befor I figured it out and am loosing again.

I was eating 1200ish calories and working out about 3 days a week. I needed to eat more. Now on days I dont really move at all, I eat 1250 and on days I work out, I eat 1250+ atleast 1/2 of what I burned working out. I also make sure I eat 5 times a day so I don't throw myself into "Starvation Mode" as they call it.

I tried upping it to a base of 1500 calories but that was too much.

Just that little increase in calories (50 more) plus eating 1/2 or more of my work out calories back, helped.

People will give you a ton of advice on here but quite frankly, you need to experiment. Eat more food, more often for a week. If that doesnt work cut it down by 50 or 100 calories per week till you see the scale move.

Everyone will probably say your not eating enough and thats true. Eat more and drink your water.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

um, I can run for 45 minutes at a time in the middle of a 24 hour fast. I can also bike for over an hour at a pretty good pace 22 hours into a 24 hour fast. I have done sprint interval training in the middle of a 24 hour fast. I've done all of these things without coming close to passing out. maybe some of us just have super powers...or, maybe, its really possible to do this (so long as you are fully hydrated and have convinced your mind that you can).

I think they were referring to the consistently low calories in relation to exercise calories burned. I'm totally not an expert in this field, but I'm guessing that might be different than a 24 hour fast if you normally eat higher than that. OP is consistently low in relation to exercise (eating 1000-1400 total and then burning like 600-1100 for a very low net at the end of the day).
  • AshleyBKeen
    Options
    I do have a HRM, which I try to use most days. I have to admit, I am nervous about eating those extra calories back -- the last time I lost a significant amount of weight (about 20 pounds) I was using the calorie tracker on Spark People which didn't make the exercise adjustments on a daily basis. Weight loss has always been tough for me, and I'm kind of nervous about breaking out of my routine.

On the "running" - I'm not a very fast runner and I don't often run for 45 minutes solid unless I'm on an elliptical (where I usually keep a pretty brisk pace on a "weight loss" or "total body" program). I will usually jog about a mile (and I have a pretty short stride) then intermittenly walk briskly and jog. In an average 45 minutes of track or outdoor jogging I usually only go a little over two miles --- and according to my HRM burn somewhere between 300 and 400 kcal. I am trying to work on building up my running stamina. I ran a bit last August-September, but I got lazy between October and December and no kidding gained 15 pounds in that short time. During a brief time last August I was pretty regularly running 3 miles in 45 minutes on a treadmill. Honestly, I don't really feel tired or without energy. The only time I ever feel drained is right after a workout -- and then I generally feel fine again after a shower.

Also, don't feel bad, you're not the first to say that to me. I don't know why but my metabolism is just unbelievably slow. Always has been.

"Go super low carb or super low fat for a few days--while still maintaining your calories-- to "shock" your metabolism. "

I think I'm going to try doing the shakeology cleanse next Tues/Wed/Thurs to see if that can kick it.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Excellent advice!
  • jmjatlanta
    Options
    Plateaus are normal, and unfortunately very discouraging. I agree with the previous posters about increasing your intake, if only briefly. Think of it this way:

You're at weight level 10, trying to get to 9. You keep doing the same things, but can't break 10. Take a step backwards for 1 week and you may end up at 11, 10, or 9. If you end up at 11, you know how to get back to 10. If you end up at 9, problem solved. If you end up still stuck at 10, go back to what you were doing, then try to step back a different way.

The step backwards could be in the area of increasing diet or decreasing exercise (quantity in the day or number of days per week). You pick. But you may wish to pick just 1.

The cost of this experiment is time. The rewards are you know a bit more about what changes in routine do to you physically. I'd say that knowledge is worth the cost.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    CMMrsFloyd - Thank you. This is what I was trying to say. Utilizing 200-500 calories a day sound outright dangerous to me. Being able to exercise like that is setting your body up (and mind) for failure!
  • dclamb
    Options
    This past January I celebrated my 4-year anniversary of overcoming a severe 13-year eating disorder (I was eating 300 calories per day, doing 4 hours of cardio & weight training at least 5 days per week). If I could share what I learned through all that from one of the best eating disorder clinics in the country, as well as from an amazing personal trainer, and a fabulous nutritionist, is that when you work out you simply must eat an adequate amount of calories for the energy you are putting out. If not, your body goes into starvation mode and essentially eats itself, including muscle, which thereby decreases your metabolism (so essentially you're working against yourself, kind of like treading water). I realize we have two completely different experiences, but the same concept applies to all humans trying to lose weight. Eat those meals, space them out 2-3 hours apart, bust out the tape measure, since muscle weighs more than fat, and you'll be just fine. Good luck :)
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    F, 5' 4" Starting weight: 192.4 Current weight 183.2

I'm confused. I've been tracking calories for about a month now (yes, I use a scale, no I'm not doing keto or any of that jazz, just old fashioned cutting calories and portion control). I generally average between 1100 and 1400 calories a day, trying to stay between 1200 and 1300.

My workouts since the begining of the year are as follows:

Monday: 45 minute run on a track (or outside) or 45 minutes on an elliptical trainer
    Tuesday: 30 minute strength training workout, 45 minutes on an elliptical
    Wednesday: 45 minute run on a track (or outside) or 45 minutes on an elliptical, followed by a 30 min minimum Workout DVD (for reference, last night did Kempo X)
    Thursday: 30 minute strength training, 45 on an elliptical
    Friday: 30 minutes strength training, 45 on an elliptical
    Saturday: Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown, minimum of 45 on an elliptical
    Sunday: Rest

I know strength training is vauge: Currently I'm Squatting 90, pressing 55, and Shoulder pressing 20 pound dumbells. I do shoulders and arms together, legs and abs together and chest and back together.

I've been tracking my calories pretty strictly and even on the days where I exceed my 1200 calorie goal I am still *well* under what MFP says my goal should be with exercise -- but I haven't seen the scales move in two week. At week one I was thinking "Psh, ain't no thing. water weight." but now I'm not so sure -- especially after the dramatic weight loss in the first three weeks.

It appears that I'm doing everything right, so why am I stuck?

Patience!!! The slower the better, as 3 doctors told me. I am lucky to lose a pound a week. I was on a plateau for 2 months. It takes time, a lot of time. How long did it take ypu to gain the weight?
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Ditto :)
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like your entire workouts consist mostly of elliptical or running?? Mix it up! That would be my advice ;) I do mixture of p90x, 30 day shred, elliptical, bike, zumba, walking. I don't want to say you hit a plateau yet, since it's only been a few weeks, but i dunno. Good job on the 9 pounds. Stick with it and i'm sure more will come off. :)
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Ditto :)

I agree!! Don't eat back all your calories for sure, but you should never be eating only 1100 calories whether you work out in a day or not