Help! - Calf Pain!

Options
I've recently started the 30 Day shred and after every workout i get a pain in my lower leg, it feels like it's on the bone but my mum says its just in my muscle! It's rather uncomfortable but not painful.

However today was my first day back at the gym (since December tut tut) and I went on the treadmill and all of a sudden my calf muscle locked up!

I've written this just after the gym and my calves still hurt, does anyone know whats happened

is it because I haven't been wearing trainers during the shred?!

Please Help

PS! do i put ice on them or sit in a warm bath?!

Replies

• JanePerkins
    JanePerkins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was reading a runner's guide for walking to running in 13 weeks they said to ice injuries.. I'm trying.. so far running 2 min then walking 2min for about 36 min at the gym.. hope you feel better soon!
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started P90X/Insanity Hybrid program Monday and I have had the same issue...I woke up in pain and had to take asprin and I tried heating them for a bit. Today was Cardio Recovery DVD which actually seemed to help some but they hurt when I walk for sure.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Do the runner's stretch...get down on your hands and feet, stretched out. Keep one leg straight and bend the other like you're at the starting line, sort of. Hold it for like ten seconds at a time and then switch. Go back and forth or do both straight at the same time (if you've done yoga, gross, it's like downward dog). My husband HAS to do this a number of times before he can even think about starting his workout or his calves are way too stiff!
  • harrietk94
    harrietk94 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do the runner's stretch...get down on your hands and feet, stretched out. Keep one leg straight and bend the other like you're at the starting line, sort of. Hold it for like ten seconds at a time and then switch. Go back and forth or do both straight at the same time (if you've done yoga, gross, it's like downward dog). My husband HAS to do this a number of times before he can even think about starting his workout or his calves are way too stiff!

that's helped so much thank you!
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ice it, if it keeps going on and becomes an issue, it may be worth a visit to a Physio to get their input. The pain and the cramp may not neccesarily be related. Was the pain at the front of the leg or the back?
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Is the pain in the back or the front? If it really feels like it's the bone, and it's closer to the front or inside of the lower leg, then it's likely shin splints...which would definitely be caused by doing the 30 DS without sneakers. There is a lot of jumping involved, and if you're doing that in barefeet or shoes without enough cushioning, it's no wonder you have pain! If it is just the back of your calf, then it's likely just soreness from working the muscles. I just did 2 days of the shred and I was hurting pretty bad all over..but especially my calves and quads. Just make sure you stretch really well after your workout. I stretch multiple times a day when I'm that sore to try to loosen things up. I also make my boyfriend massage my aching muscles hahaha.
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Could it be shin splints? I had them years ago. The pain would be in the front of your lower leg and feels like the bone itself is hurting (it is actually in the muscle though). If that's it, stretching will help as well as ice. Also, if you have steps in your house you could try standing on the bottom step with your forefoot and doing toe raises making sure to drop your heel below the level of the step. This should both stretch and strengthen those muscles if you think shin splints might be the issue. Hope this helps and that I didn't totally misunderstand your dilemma!
  • chantellryksen
    chantellryksen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get them as well, sometimes one other times both, my doctor told me there is 2 reasons for me getting it 1 a major reason is the shortness of mineral salts so I have to top up on that and I could have restless leg syndrome but for this I need tests, since I have been taking mineral salts no8 and 9 it has become better, I even get cramps while sleeping it wakes me and I need to jump out of bed and stand on my toes to stretch the muscle and relax it. I must say I have been getting them since i was about 9 or 10, i have gotten use to it.
  • harrietk94
    Options
    Ice it, if it keeps going on and becomes an issue, it may be worth a visit to a Physio to get their input. The pain and the cramp may not neccesarily be related. Was the pain at the front of the leg or the back?

its at the back of the leg but its also in the inner sides of my leg!
  • harrietk94
    Options
    Is the pain in the back or the front? If it really feels like it's the bone, and it's closer to the front or inside of the lower leg, then it's likely shin splints...which would definitely be caused by doing the 30 DS without sneakers. There is a lot of jumping involved, and if you're doing that in barefeet or shoes without enough cushioning, it's no wonder you have pain! If it is just the back of your calf, then it's likely just soreness from working the muscles. I just did 2 days of the shred and I was hurting pretty bad all over..but especially my calves and quads. Just make sure you stretch really well after your workout. I stretch multiple times a day when I'm that sore to try to loosen things up. I also make my boyfriend massage my aching muscles hahaha.

it's closer to the front and inside of my leg, by the sounds of it, it does sound like shin splints!
    I did the shred today in my trainers today and it helped so much, silly me! I also added in more stretches :)

thank you so much for your help :)
  • harrietk94
    Options
    Could it be shin splints? I had them years ago. The pain would be in the front of your lower leg and feels like the bone itself is hurting (it is actually in the muscle though). If that's it, stretching will help as well as ice. Also, if you have steps in your house you could try standing on the bottom step with your forefoot and doing toe raises making sure to drop your heel below the level of the step. This should both stretch and strengthen those muscles if you think shin splints might be the issue. Hope this helps and that I didn't totally misunderstand your dilemma!

i think you got it spot on! yes it feels like its my bone! But thank you for reassuring me its not :) and thanks for the advice it really helped :)
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    The more stretching the better! I've quickly learned your shins and calves are very closely related.... if the latter isn't stretched it, it isn't provided enough support for the first.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The more stretching the better! I've quickly learned your shins and calves are very closely related.... if the latter isn't stretched it, it isn't provided enough support for the first.

This is spot on.