Sudden loss of energy and motivation?

Options
I have been doing 30 day shred and using MFP for about a month now. I am on level 2 of 30day shred and soon to move to level three. However lately I have found that I have less energy and almost no motivation to work out anymore. I still work out 6 days a week but when I do my body feels heavy and I just can't get into it. I have tried muting the dvd and putting my favorite station on pandora and that seemed to help for the first week but now I am back at zero motivation. I am eating right so I can't really blame it on the food. Could it be that I am just getting bored of my workout? I used to work out twice a day for a while but i stopped. I would do the 30day shred in the morning and a quick 10 minute kickboxing at night. Any advice/support would help.

Replies

• kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you taking vitamins? Getting enough iron? Maybe you've overextended yourself? Sounds like a lot of hard work. Are you eating enough calories? It would not be surprising that you feel sluggish if you are not getting enough calories and/or vitamins.
  • jmjatlanta
    Options
    You are probably encountering a common problem. I ran into the same wall a while back. Here was my fix:

1) Change the workout routine. I love being in the gym 5 days / week. Cardio each day. I was doing upper body on Monday and Thursday, lower body on Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday was reserved for extra cardio. I did the same thing on Monday as I did on Thursday. Tuesday and Friday's routine were the same too.

I then changed to a split routine, whereby I work smaller areas of the body. I still do cardio each day, but different kinds. Monday is chest and back. Tuesday is shoulders and triceps, Wednesday remains extra cardio, Thursday is legs, and Friday is triceps, biceps, and forearms. Plus, I'm on a 2 week plan. Week 1 has different exercises for all body parts compared to week 2. Week 3 is a repeat of week 1, and so on.

I was very resistant to change. I kept my first routine for 2 years, and was not too motivated to stay regular at the gym. Now I'm at the gym 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day, although the 2nd visit is cardio, or to concentrate on a particular area I want to focus on.

2) Rest. The workout routine helped with this, as I am in and out of the gym in 1 hour instead of 1 1/2. Plus I get the added benefit of working more muscles in a week. Plus the muscles have more time to recover before getting hit again. Resting muscles is very important. At least 72 hours before working the same muscle, and at least 8 hours of sleep each night.

3) Diet. Make sure you're eating clean and getting the vitamins you need. This was a difficult one for me, and took a long time to get to the point it is now. It is still not dialed in completely, nor do I think it will be any time soon. I'm constantly trying to change it up to see what it does.

The above worked for me. As usual, your mileage may vary. Get off the same routine. Mix it up, and enjoy.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You might be overtraining.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    It is very possible that you are getting bored with the routine, especially if you are doing it daily. Also, you need to allow your body to rest. I'm doing 30DS and I was ready to totally give it up for something different, but I changed it up a bit as I need variety. JM recommends that you do 30DS in this order: 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest, 2 days 30DS, 1 day rest. I'm not doing it like that, but I am doing 30DS for 5 days, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest/yoga. After that 2 day break away from the same routine, I welcome 30DS back.

Also, make sure that you are getting enough rest, taking vitamins, eating healthy, and drinking enough water.
  • PattyCakez
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I think it might be a little bit of everything that you all suggested. I am not taking any vitamins because they make me SSOOO HUNGRY. I do get anemic easily but I don't feel like I am but i will go pick up some iron supplement. I try to eat as healthy and clean as possible but it is hard because I have 3 toddlers and my husband is not on a diet with me and well he doesn't help much with the motivation. I think I will try mixing up my workout routine. I work out at home so do you guys have any good dance/cardio workouts you can recommend? I drink 8-10 cups of water a day.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I think it might be a little bit of everything that you all suggested. I am not taking any vitamins because they make me SSOOO HUNGRY. I do get anemic easily but I don't feel like I am but i will go pick up some iron supplement. I try to eat as healthy and clean as possible but it is hard because I have 3 toddlers and my husband is not on a diet with me and well he doesn't help much with the motivation. I think I will try mixing up my workout routine. I work out at home so do you guys have any good dance/cardio workouts you can recommend? I drink 8-10 cups of water a day.

Bellydancing is fun and gives you quite a workout. You usually can check them out at your local library.

By the way, if you are too tired, then you may want to see a doctor and make sure that it isn't anything else; especially if you are anemic. My daughter is anemic and we found out the hard way when her hemoglobin got down to 3.2 and she ended up having to get a blood transfusion of 4 pints. Always listen to your body. Hope this helps.
  • PattyCakez
    Options
    You're right. Anemia is a scary thing. Im waiting for my health insurance to go through but I was planning on getting some weight loss advice/help from a doctor.