lemon water

Options
does anyone know if lemon water helps with weight loss? Also are you supposed to take early in the morning?

Replies

• myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can boost your metabolism, but I have clue if there's any truth to it :)

I've been drinking it in the morning (2 glasses) and any time I go out to eat. I haven't noticed a change in my weightloss since I started it a couple weeks ago. but it's better than plain water so it makes drink more :)
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    When I remember to take time to drink water...I usually have lemon or lime in it. I like doing that mostly because it seems to cut my sweet tooth!
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can boost your metabolism, but I have clue if there's any truth to it :)

I've been drinking it in the morning (2 glasses) and any time I go out to eat. I haven't noticed a change in my weightloss since I started it a couple weeks ago. but it's better than plain water so it makes drink more :)

it doesnt "boost" anyones metabolism
    if you are not sure, dont misinform other people.. please
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I've never seen any scientific evidence to suggest that lemon water helps you lose weight. It doesn't pass the common sense test for me either. How could a lemon possibly increase your metabolism? Decrease your appetite? Or do anything else that might help with weight loss?

I think the only thing a lemon in water does is flavor the water and add a few calories to your drink.
  • kford12
    kford12 Posts: 112
    Options

I don't think you're misinforming anyone by saying this, as it is just speculation, not a statement of fact.

I've heard (again, speculation) that it is good for flushing through your system in the morning. I think though that it is partly tied to the fact that you are supposed to have it in hot water and that also flushes your system out. So, it is healthy, but I don't think it aids in weight loss per se......unfortunately!! :o)
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options

She's not trying to misinform people. She plainly said that she didn't know if there was in truth in it...:noway:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Seeing as she said she's not sure...I'd say she's not "misinforming" anyone.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I read to drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning and at bedtime. I did this the first week using MFP and lost 4 lbs. I ran out of lemons and never picked them up at the store and I haven't lost weight since. I don't know if it is a fluke but I will see, I have been drinking the warm lemon water all this week. It suppose to optimize digestion and revitalize your liver.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    When I drank lemon water I did lose weight more easily. When I ran out, I didn't lose as fast. So I started drinking it again. For ME personally, drinking it helps keep me 'regular'. Which is good, my body isn't holding onto waste.

Besides getting some extra vitamin C and adding flavor to boring water, what can it hurt? 1 lemon contains 47g of juice which is 12 calories. You don't put in more than a few wedges, so calorie wise, it would be small.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 oz bottle I fill with water and the juice of one lemon. I don't do it every day, but I am always down the day after when I do. Not always down the day after I don't.

With that reminder, I need to go squeeze a lemon!
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lemon as well as other citrus can help with digestion and settle an "upset stomach" ... it is recommended to use for morning sickness when you are pregnant and is often used after meals like the famous Italian lemoncello after dinner drink! I have never heard of it helping with weightloss and I wouldn't bank on a wedge of anything being the magic link to losing weight =/

I like lemon in my water because well it tastes good!
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it, but didn't noticed any sort of a weight loss boost. But, it did taste better and was a break from just regular old water.

That being said. Make sure to drink it with a straw. It's bad for tooth enamel.
  • jolynyk
    jolynyk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine linked me to this blog post/video about why people should drink lemon water on an empty stomach in the morning:

http://www.joyoushealth.ca/2010/03/02/lemon-water-how-much-why/

I'm not sure how much of what she says is rooted in actual science, but I figure drinking some lemon with your water can't hurt, right?
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Seeing as she said she's not sure...I'd say she's not "misinforming" anyone.

Exactly. That's kind of the point of a member-led message board. To kick around ideas, suggestions, share successes, stalls, and frustrations.

And i heard that warm or hot water in the morning boosts metabolism. The lemon can't hurt, right?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't we all be drinking it if it really helped us in losing weight?
    It's a better option to something like soda, as long as this lemon water contains no sugar
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    SKEPTICS: PLEASE READ.

My pharmacist told me to drink lemon water to aid my weight loss. I trust her considering she is a pharmacist lol. I did some research on my own to really understand WHY it is so good for weight loss.

1) Lemon water hydrates you just like normal water but many people think it tastes better. Hydration --> weight loss.

2) Lemon water is alkalizing to the body which helps to balance your body's pH.

3) Lemon water is high in pectin fiber which helps to make you feel full.

4) Lemon water is a great natural source of vitamin C which helps your immune system. Healthy immune system --> more energy to work out.

5) Lemon water is cleansing for the digestive system, and it promotes bile production which leads to better digestion.

SUCK ON THAT!!
  • fatburn120
    Options
    In one of Jillian Michael's videoes on youtube she suggests eating citrus fruits to help boost metabolism. Citrus fruits have vitamin c which prevents cortisone from being converted to cortisol. Cortisol causes fat deposition esp. in the belly. I'm wondering maybe same mechanism for lemon water?
  • LabRat529
    Options
    SKEPTICS: PLEASE READ.

My pharmacist told me to drink lemon water to aid my weight loss. I trust her considering she is a pharmacist lol. I did some research on my own to really understand WHY it is so good for weight loss.

1) Lemon water hydrates you just like normal water but many people think it tastes better. Hydration --> weight loss.

2) Lemon water is alkalizing to the body which helps to balance your body's pH.

3) Lemon water is high in pectin fiber which helps to make you feel full.

4) Lemon water is a great natural source of vitamin C which helps your immune system. Healthy immune system --> more energy to work out.

5) Lemon water is cleansing for the digestive system, and it promotes bile production which leads to better digestion.

SUCK ON THAT!!

Your pharmacist is not a scientific peer-reviewed reference... this is just hear-say and... especially #2 and #5 are... well, to put it nicely, 'nonsense'. Lemons are acidic... there's no way it's alkalizing your body. And... mmm... bile production? Why would it promote bile production? Your liver produces bile (which is stored in your gall bladder if you have one) in response to fats and proteins... not to fruits.

If you're going to try and combat the skeptics (like me), you're gonna have a lot more success with real science... you know, science that I can look at and read, not the kind of 'science' that your pharmacist may have shared.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't think It can hurt, but I've also heard that the lemon helps do something with you body. Plus many people will drink more water simply because it tastes better, which can never hurt. I do think some people in this post have obviously sucked on some sour lemons or maybe just need a cookie, cause they are a bit catty.lol
  • LabRat529
    Options
    In one of Jillian Michael's videoes on youtube she suggests eating citrus fruits to help boost metabolism. Citrus fruits have vitamin c which prevents cortisone from being converted to cortisol. Cortisol causes fat deposition esp. in the belly. I'm wondering maybe same mechanism for lemon water?

As far as I can tell, Jullian doesn't have it quite right. There is at least one study that show vitamin C reduces cortisol levels in rats, but ... really its more about stress than about fat deposits. Cortisol can effect metabolism... but it's not a boogie man.

As for lemon: if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. There aren't any magic foods that increase your metabolism or burn fat. Even if there are, the effect would be so miniscule that it's really not going to help you.

You should drink lemon in your water if you like lemon in your water. Just don't expect some miracle results.