Running frustration!!

Options
Hi everyone,I'm currently on week 4 of couch to 5k.Although I would never have thought it I'm really enjoying it!My problem at the moment is that I'm not struggling due to being out of breath (which is what I was convinced would happen-it's my shins/calves that are wanting me to stop!!So frustrating!Does this discomfort/difficulty pass or get easier?

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Try going to a proper running store where they watch you run to find out what kind of shoes you need. That helped me. My calves still hurt, so do some dynamic stretching before, and then a very good stretch (and maybe even a hot bath) after.
  • emmalouise1980
    emmalouise1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that,there's somewhere near where I live that does that so will try and go soon.I keep being told not to stretch before running though-gets very confusing!
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree about the shoes. Have not had shin splints since buying good running shoes. The money you'll spend is well worth it! Wear them only for running and they'll last long enough to be worth the money.
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    try rolling something down your shins - like a foam roller or a full (fairly solid) water bottle - you might have shin splints. the rolling will force the muscle to relax (force it to relax sounds weird!!).

when you stretch your legs sitting on the floor, sit with one leg straight out in front and alternate between pointing the toes and flexing them, really work at pulling your toes up towards your body when flexing. can also do this on a step - stand with your toes on the edge of a step, with heels hanging over the edge. do calf raises (lift up) and then drop down til you can feel it in your shin.
  • magiale05
    Options
    Yea, proper shoe gear is extremely important. I'd even go a step further and see if you could get custom orthotic inserts made. I've had them for about 4 months now and it's made a world of a difference not even just with running but even just walking around. They're like perscription eye glasses , but for your feet. Good luck!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    A shoe fitting may help you tremendously. I just got fitted for my first pair (after years of uncomfortable running) and I feel like a new person. I'd have pains whenever I'd start up again (up until this year, I'd take the winter off since I hate treadmills) but they would go away with time.

Good luck to you and congrats on your progress so far! I love C25K!
  • VIII_4G63
    VIII_4G63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I keep being told not to stretch before running though-gets very confusing! .:huh:

Not to stretch?? That's very poor advice.

Rest and proper runners will sort your shins if it's shin splints. You really need to stretch though, I've just had a week of hassle with my calf through not stretching.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Either need good running shoes, or could be running too fast. For me, it was the shoes. You will definitely need some good running shoes for week 5, day 3! :)
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    GOOD SHOES!
    Also, I tend to warm up at a slower pace for the first 1/2 mile or so, then I stop and stretch. (I don't really stretch BEFORE running, but early on in the run and whenever I feel I need to stop and stretch as I go.)

The soreness should begin to fade with proper shoes and stretching.
    Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are usually due to doing too much too soon, overdoing the impact exercises, bad shoes and/or hard running surfaces.

Be sure that you aren't doing anything that has you jumping or bouncing on the days between your runs. Your body needs a chance to recover from this new high-impact exercise you've introduced it to so give it a day between runs to recover. Especially do not run every day while you're still increasing your run distance and pace but even things like the 30 day shred or other high impact aerobic routines can prevent your muscles and joints from recovering properly.

New shoes will help provide more cushioning. Get professionally fitted at a dedicated running store where they will watch you run on a treadmill to determine the best kind of shoe for your gait and foot form.

Don't run on concrete, this includes sidewalks. Asphalt has a little more give than concrete and dirt tracks are even better.

Hope this helps!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    You should definitely go get a (probably free) gait analysis at a running store. That said, to present another perspective, if you have no issues with your arches, etc., you may actually want to give running a shot with low-support shoes. By one school of thought, this allows your foot and leg muscles to strengthen over time to provide you natural support. I run in low-support shoes and now feel better than on my previous attempts to run with more traditional "stabilized" running shoes.

That said, whatever shoe you pick, make sure you warm up a bit, and stretch afterwards. A foam roller is GREAT for pain in the calves especially. Rolling out the other major leg muscles will also help to relieve some of the pull on your various joints and connective tissues.

Make sure to incorporate some strength training into your running routine as well; getting stronger overall will help.

I had some calf and knee pain at the beginning of my running journey but once I did all those things, the pain passed. I just finished a half-marathon a few days ago and I was already able to get an easy low-mile run in today.

Good luck!! Great job on progressing through that far on Couch to 5K so far... I quit much earlier during various previous attempts!
  • phillips9366
    phillips9366 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be introducing to running a bit too fast for your bod. The couch is a pretty rough starting point. If your weight is up, that can beat your shins/calves up pretty good too, but too much of anything probably ain't great.

My recommendation is to mix it up a bit until you truly become a "runner", which might take months, years, or never happen, depending on your shape and size and about 20 other things. P90X Plyometrics, P90X Legs and Back (you can skip the back if you're not into it), and P90X yoga (long but worth it) are all great leg strengtheners and help your flexibility alot. Doing these consistently, mixed with some running, took my running from painful to wonderful in about a month. Try it, you just might like it. The P90 "lean" workout schedule will give you some ideas. You can do the cardio/leg stuff and then run on the other days if you're obsessed with running. Might work well for you. Let me know if you try it and it does.

Good luck:happy:

13114540.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    also a goos streatch is sitting in a chair and holding your legs out and trying to write the alphabet out with your toes
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm going with being fit by a professional and finding the right shoe...I say this because I used to get horrible shin splints until I started using a different shoe and now they are pretty much nonexistant!!
  • emmalouise1980
    emmalouise1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lots of people tell me it's bad to stretch cold muscles,so not to do it before a run...I stretch lots afterwards though-I suppose everyone has different ideas/methods!Thanks for your help!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i am on week 6 and i have really good shoes. what i can tell you is that the first few weeks my shins would hurt while i did it, but that went away after week 4. it also went away during the workouts- i would start sore and they would loosen up as i went. I walk a number of hill intervals after i do c25k and that is usually when they would loosen.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Lots of people tell me it's bad to stretch cold muscles,so not to do it before a run...I stretch lots afterwards though-I suppose everyone has different ideas/methods!Thanks for your help!

I recently heard that doing dynamic stretching before is good, like swinging arms, jumping jacks, not static stretching on cold muscles... just food for thought. And looking up stretches specifically for where you hurt helps.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing. I never stretch before running but do afterward, as well. I have no problems with shin splints or any other aches and pains. I started running last April and finished my first half marathon on Jan. 15th.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    In studies they found that, if you don't stretch before running, starting to stretch doesn't really help with injuries. But people who always stretched before and then stopped did get more injuries. So the current data is confusing... My own personal experience is that I do need to stretch and foam roll but not immediately before after, just in general. I tend to do it at night in front of the tv.

As for pains while running, sometimes it's the shoes but sometimes it's your running form. Be sure to run with good posture, in an upright position, with a slight lean from the ankles, not hunched over or bent at the waist.

The other thing that could be going on is overtraining. Make sure you don't overdo it especially with whatever you are doing on the days you don't run.