Geocaching

Options
Anyone involved? I am curious to hear from others. I would like to get my husband and 7yr old daughter started for the health of walking & family time. I read a health article about family activities & this was in the list. I signed up for a local group in my state. Would love to hear from others.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    We love it! We started years ago - dang, many years ago now that I think about how young our daughter was when we started! :tongue: Tons of fun, great way to get out and explore with the family. Also fun when visiting other towns on vacation or whatever - you find all the out of the way parks and places that only locals know about because they are likely the ones who placed the cache.

When we first started, very few people knew about it and most of my friends thought we were nuts! They all had young kids, I told them not to knock it and that their kids would love a treasure hunt! Since then they have all become geocachers too.

I would like to get back into it again - life got in the way and we haven't done it in quite awhile - I'm sure there are tons of new local caches for us to find.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I got into it about 10 Years ago. (There weren't 500 caches in the state of Kansas then, now there are over 500 within 5 miles of where I sit) I still use one of the old yellow Etrex. I got away from it, but when my kids were old enough to go I started again. You can make it as hard, or as easy as you want, and it's great family time.

I echo that you learn and see all kind of interesting and out of the way places. I've found good places to run while geocaching.
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been Geocaching for about 7 years now. We love it. My husband does a lot more then I do but it is great together time. When we were getting started my kids were in Middle School and we would drag them around with us. Now they are all in college and my son has his own account and does it in his college town.
    I have been invited by a local girl scout troop to come and teach them about geocaching. I am so excited about this opportunity to tell them about the sport/game. Maybe they will be the future geocachers that keep the sport going.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I am trying to do things on weekends with my step-daughter since we only get her on weekends. Sometimes its hard to find things to do and she could really use the exercise, along with the rest of us! She spends way too much weekend time at my husbands mother, which does nothing for us in terms of being a strong family unit. My husband has too many of his own hobbies and its time we had a family hobby. Thanks for your input!!!
  • melrose09
    Options
    It is seriously awesome! We LOVE it. We like to do little day trips and geocaching has led us to so many neat little places that we never would have discovered otherwise. It's a BLAST
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!! I stopped logging them online a few years ago when some grouchy people in my area irritated me. But I still do it quite often :)
  • tridibble
    Options
    I love it. Started doing it last March, and you definitely get to see places you probably never would have gone otherwise.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    its a TON of fun. sounds like a great thing to do with kids. i dont have time for it anymore but i had a blast with it a few years back with my husband and our friends.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it! I started two years ago and have loved being involved with it ever since. It givesa little more motivation when I am out on a hike or on my bike to just get the at least the next one. It's a great family activity and I know that kids can have a lot of fun with it. I say go for it!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    We got into it after watching Splinterheads! If you haven't seen it, it's great! Only for older, teen kids. No nudity in it, but some colorful words for sure. It's hilarious though!
  • RavensFan20
    Options
    Growing up I never had a "father figure" in my life, the guy was there, but not much of a dad. I started dating this girl when I was in my 20's and her Grandfather got me into geocaching. I absolutely loved it. We got to explore all parts of Utah, Nevada, and Arizona looking for "treasure". I swear it was the first time in my life I ever felt that "Father - son bound" so geocaching will always be an activity I like.

the girl and I split, I ended up moving to Virginia and having done it in years.
  • I've always wanted to try it!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there was a post about this already and just posted something about it. I just joined today, I can't wait to start finding items :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    How do you get started? I would love to get my kid outside!
  • dfranks43
    Options
    I love it. It has taken my many places I never would have went and I've seen a lot of awesome things on the way. We hiked the Smokies and boy was it a workout to get to the waterfall but it was well worth it. You will love it!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yay for a reminder of something that may motivate me to get out and get moving, I know from cycling and canoeing that those little goals "oh lets just get that next one" is a great way to get a long trek done, one bite at a time (how do you eat an elephant?)... thanks... too bad "film" is so passe I don't know where to get the canisters these days for setting it up for the nieces and nephews.
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love it! I was visiting the family one weekend and we were trying to find something to do outdoors. I just happend upon and article about the local park hosting an event so we went. We have been hooked every since.
    I try to hit up at least once cashe ever time I travel somewhere, even if it is an easy find. It is my little way of leaving my mark. :)
  • Laura26C
    Laura26C Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My profile pic was taken at a place my boyfriend and I discovered while geocaching. We now live in the community because we love it here so much! :happy:
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going for a bike ride and explorer around a park next to where I live, I actually downloaded a GPS app for Android that uses Satellite tracking, I'll see how accurate it is.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How do you get started? I would love to get my kid outside!
    Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ - the official website that will give you info and get you started. Then you need a handheld GPS or the phone app so you can start exploring!