Trying not to be frustrated

Options
So I've kind of been at the same weight for the past few weeks. Super frustrating when I weigh myself though I have lost inches and my belly has gone down significantly. I see everyone here losing pounds and I get mad/sad because I want to as well but my body seems to have a mind of it's own.

A former athlete, I am finally being kinder to myself about having a bigger frame (similar build to Serena Williams) and not a more petite frame. But weighing in each week just makes me feel depressed because I'm not seeing movement on the scale. I probably sound like a whiny baby, but just need to vent a little.

Replies

• ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    congrats on losing inches! Does the number on the scale bother you a lot? Or can you be happy when you slide into a pair of jeans and need a belt because the waist is smaller. :glasses:
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My first thought is to focus on the positive - you've lost inches! and probably feel better too! So, next, try to change things up a bit - different exercise, look at your diet, etc. Maybe there's some clues there that might help you see the scale start to move again. Best of luck.
  • Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think the scale is God's way of punishing us since we obsess over it to much. I used to do the same thing and I just wanted to cry. Boy, did I ever vent about it too!! :) Then I thought about it - should my happiness be linked to the number that little contraption shows or should it be linked about how much healthier I am becoming?

I decided I wanted to be happy and fit more than having the smallest number I could manage. You can also think about how much fat you are losing and how much muscle you are slimming into. I understand the need to vent, but venting can often times leave you with a headache and no answers.

I hope you find a path to your happiness with your body. Good luck.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    You could be gaining more muscle definition and losing fat, which is great. Stop focusing on the scale right now as any little thing could tilt it one way or the other. Also, it could be that the scale isn't calibrated or it is broken.
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    congrats on losing inches! Does the number on the scale bother you a lot? Or can you be happy when you slide into a pair of jeans and need a belt because the waist is smaller. :glasses:

In the past it didn't but recently it started to. It's becoming hard to look at a number over 200 pounds. But I know it's just a number and that the overall picture should be more important. But my heart wishes I could have both.
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of important things to focus on.

1) how do you feel over all, ?? Better I hope

2) you may drop some weight...then put it back on as your muscles develop

3) you will hit plateau's along the way... It took me over 5 weeks to see the "Numbers drop" But, physically I felt so much better after the first week
  • nyprdiva
    Options
    My first thought is to focus on the positive - you've lost inches! and probably feel better too! So, next, try to change things up a bit - different exercise, look at your diet, etc. Maybe there's some clues there that might help you see the scale start to move again. Best of luck.

Thanks for the well wishes. I've reintroduced weight training after a few weeks of cardio only workouts to build stamina.And though I'm way more toned, scale doesn't move much. I rarely eat processed foods and load up on veggies and protein. When I do do carbs, it's like brown rice or soba noodles. I'm gluten sensitive so low carb by necessity rather than choice (still a very limited selection of gluten free options). On paper I'm doing all the right things, but somewhere there's a disconnect.
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    EH- we all need to vent sometimes!! I have been at the same weight pretty consistently lately too. But, I am ok with that as I haven't been as "good" as I should have been. So I am just glad I haven't gained, but some loss would be nice. My clothes fit better and people that I haven't seen in a while look at me and say "WOW you look good!...so I'll take it. But, hey, lets get moving and stick to those calorie goals and move that scale! :)
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    So I've kind of been at the same weight for the past few weeks. Super frustrating when I weigh myself though I have lost inches and my belly has gone down significantly. I see everyone here losing pounds and I get mad/sad because I want to as well but my body seems to have a mind of it's own.

A former athlete, I am finally being kinder to myself about having a bigger frame (similar build to Serena Williams) and not a more petite frame. But weighing in each week just makes me feel depressed because I'm not seeing movement on the scale. I probably sound like a whiny baby, but just need to vent a little.

I would check that scale, seriously !
    You have lost inches and belly, so there must be a good amount of pounds associated with that !
    So go and weigh yourself in another scale.

And even if the weight is same on the other scale, your smaller belly and less inches tell you that your are on the right path :-)
  • nyprdiva
    Options
    Sometimes I think the scale is God's way of punishing us since we obsess over it to much. I used to do the same thing and I just wanted to cry. Boy, did I ever vent about it too!! :) Then I thought about it - should my happiness be linked to the number that little contraption shows or should it be linked about how much healthier I am becoming?

I decided I wanted to be happy and fit more than having the smallest number I could manage. You can also think about how much fat you are losing and how much muscle you are slimming into. I understand the need to vent, but venting can often times leave you with a headache and no answers.

I hope you find a path to your happiness with your body. Good luck.

I do have to admit I've become obsessive. But as I'm answering everyone's responses, I'm thinking I'm hoping to some how morph my shape into something it is not. I'm making myself unhappy because I'm refusing to be more accepting of myself. :indifferent:
  • nyprdiva
    Options
    there was some movement this week....i lost a pound! May not sound like much but super excited.
  • KCharron20
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, do you know what your netting for calories on a daily basis? I have been going through the same thing and just found out that I needed to increase my calories! I had actually put myself into starvation mode. I've increased my calories by 150 -200 calories per day and after about 1-1/2 weeks the scale has finally started moving again!

Try taking a look at this website. This is what I used to recalculate my calories and it's working for me.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lose weight but im not working out, which i need to. In my head i say id rather weigh less than be more muscle right now. But i know that i will have more skin if i dont workout now. Still not doing it though. Feel proud you are losing fat! Muscle weighs more than fat, so you could even gain while strength training. Just measure as well as weigh and as long as one of them is moving, your progressing.