Help! I can't take complete control!

Options
So I eat healthily and am doing fine. But I just can't resist taking bites of other foods! For example, I'll tell myself that I will only eat this for snack, this for lunch, and this for later snack. And then after my first snack, I'll eat a little bit of my lunch. During lunch, I'll eat a littl ebit of my second snack. How can I resist the urge to do this??

Replies

• cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Right after you finish a meal, either brush your teeth or chew a piece of gum. With gum in your mouth you won't be able to eat.
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories a day?
  • edmievictoria
    Options
    I eat about 1000-1200. If I eat a lot, I feel really bloated and sick... so I eat small meals throughout the day.
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's good to 'graze' throughout the day but I don't think you're getting enough calories, especially if you're also exercising. Your body needs at least 1200 calories to function normally. I'm not sure what kind of food you're eating but try adding more protein to your diet as it will help you stay full longer. If you drink smoothies, try adding whey protein.
  • Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I do the same things from time to time. What I do to make up for it is I log EVERYTHING! I will think "Oh, it is just a little snack" and eat it, then dread logging it in my diary. I know that "little snack" will probably set me over my limit, but I know I must hold myself accountable. After seeing the extras calories come into play due to a "snack" I can generally guilt myself into working out harder the next day to try and burn off some of those extra calories.

I also want to say try eating more than 1,000-1,200. I understand not being able to eat a lot, but try eating some more substantial foods. Maybe part of the reason you are snacking is becasue your body is begging for you to give it more. It doesn't want to go into starvation mode. duN dUN DUN!

When you feel the need, try to sat some healthier snacks. Yes, some guilty snacks are okay (mine is currently Fritos), but try to eat fruits, veggies, or nuts. It may take a bit to control the snacking, but holding yourself accountable by logging everything, burnng a little extra the next day, and healthy snacking (with the sometimes bad snack ;) ) will help you go a long way.

P.S.
    I do as another person mentioned. I brush my teeth about 10 minutes after a meal. That way the taste of, well, food isn't still in my mouth when I brush my teeth and I HATE the way things taste asfter brushing. That funky taste will keep me from eating or drinking anything flavored (water is okay!) for at least one hour.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think you're not giving your body enough calories and you're hungry. So start out planning for at least 1200 per day, and make sure your snacks are filling. Then put your lunch and second snack somewhere where you can't reach it (if you're at work, put it in the break room, or in a filing cabinet drawer, somewhere out of sight and preferably a short walk away). I also like the gum chewing and teeth brushing strategies, they work well for me. But first and foremost make sure you're giving your body enough nutrients.
  • edmievictoria
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
    These really help a lot.
    I'm logging in EVERYTHING...
    I bought some whey protein (soy mix)
    Anddd I bought some chewing gum!! (:
  • tinkerbell21276
    tinkerbell21276 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First off, you should up your calories allowed so that you at least get 1200, I agree with everyone else.
    I know my first week or so, I was constantly hungry. Kinda like when someone that smokes has a nicotine fit is how I explain it. My savior, was gum and water! Watermelon gum, or some kind of sweet gum helps with cravings when you want something sweet or when your just hungry. Then with the water, a lot of time when you think you are hungry, you actually thirsty, so be sure to drink lots of water.
    I also like granola bars (chocolate chunk) that way you get a bit of the sweet and the chocolate for only 90 calories. And my absolute favorite, Strawberry YoCrunch yogurt, just the right size and it tastes great!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Agree, I'm mainly hungry when I first start limiting calories or right after going seriously over my calories. I do better if I ramp down my calories over several days and let my stomach adjust.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So I eat healthily and am doing fine. But I just can't resist taking bites of other foods! For example, I'll tell myself that I will only eat this for snack, this for lunch, and this for later snack. And then after my first snack, I'll eat a little bit of my lunch. During lunch, I'll eat a littl ebit of my second snack. How can I resist the urge to do this??

go for a walk....get out of the house...go to the gym....take your kids/dog to the park...read...clean...anything to keep your mind off food!
    BTW: Exactly what IS that food in your profile picture?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Are you still hungry? Is that why you continue eating? If that's the case, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate your daily calories.

Are you eating because you're bored? If that is the case, then once you are done eating - try and find something to do that takes your mind off food. I admit that this is one way I figured out how to recognize my boredom desire to eat and my true hunger. I would find something to do (read, a crossword puzzle, etc) and if the hunger went away then I simply wanted to eat out of boredom. However, if it kept drawing my attention away from my other activity - then I realized it was true hunger.

Are you thirsty? They say that thirst sometimes manifests itself as hunger. I know I used to be chronically dehydrated and after I started drinking more water, I saw a change in my hunger too.