Why isn't the pounds coming off?

Options
Ok. I need some serious encouragment and some serious advice. I've been doing this now for a month, and all I've lost is 2lbs.
At first I was eating 1500 calories a day and doing exercises and then I switched to 1200 calories a day doing Zumba 4x a week,
and if not Zumba, walking several miles a week. My clothes are fitting better looser now, but the scale isn't budging!! I've been
going by the scale at the doctors office, but it's a pretty old scale, but still. Someone please help me see past my freak out, because
at this point, I'm almost about to quit!

Replies

• RandomMiranda
    Options
    I've been there! At the beginning of last summer I was doing Curves 5-6 days/week plus another 45-90 minutes of cardio and counting calories for a solid month and lost maybe 1 pound. I did get discouraged, then travelled a lot during the rest of the summer and started dating the man who is now my fiance and put all the weight I had lost before the plateau back on. Now I'm starting over. Don't do that to yourself. I'm not a doctor and I won't pretend to know why some people lose weight differently than others. Maybe put the scale away for a while and only judge your progress by your measurements and how your clothes fit. I've never made it below 161 (I'm 5'8 and my goal is 155) no matter how hard I've tried, but there have been periods when I know I looked good, enjoyed shopping for clothes, and felt like an athlete. I would also suggest adding some strength training (even just a video with hand weights) to the Zumba to add tone and increase your metabolism. I never really felt like I was getting a good enough calorie burn with Zumba, and preferred kickboxing or more intense workouts like that. (But maybe your Zumba is a little more effective than mine was).
    Don't give up!!!
  • 5em9
    5em9 Posts: 9
    Options
    It could be that you don't have as much to lose, so its slower. Also take your measurements! I didn't lost anything this week and was super bummed, but then I took my measurements and had lost inches. You're going to have good weeks and bad weeks, just don't give up!

I live in Toronto and our Mayor who weighs 330 lbs is trying to lose 50 lbs by June. He's only been at it for 2 weeks and has lost 16 lbs already!!! Meanwhile I'm grinding it out and haven't even lost 5 yet.

You can do it!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    "My clothes are fitting better looser now, but the scale isn't budging!!"

That's because the scale alone isn't a practical way to measures success.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    That was a good Haiku.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    First of all NEVER GIVE UP! You only just started. My weight didn't' start to really budge until after the first month. SO try to look at the big picture of overall weight loss, not the short term 2 weeks, etc. Your body if like mine needs time to know that you are serious. My body didn't take this change easily, it took some time and then went about 1 pound per week.

Try your best to eat fresh and whole foods - meaning not cheese, not chemical filled deli meats, and foods from packages and boxes. Shop the produce aisles so you actually know what you are getting. Read labels. Anything you don't know what it is, don't eat it. NO fast food, no 100 calorie packs.

My journey has taken me over five years to really retrain my mind, learn to incorporate exercise of any kind, know how my body works, and to get routines established. I started at 205 pounds and a size 16. I am currently 137.6 and size 4 - 6. It wasn't easy but it is so worth it. The number one advice I have for you is to NEVER GIVE UP. Keep searching, keep trying to see what YOU can live with and what works for YOU. That is what matters. Not what worked for me or your friends. You are the one that has to choose a new healthy lifestyle if you want this to stick, so take your time, there is no deadline and know that it will always be something that you aspire to. Once you "get there" then the work to "stay there" begins. That is what I have learned as I have battled my metabolism from hypothyroid disease since age 19, gone through menopause, and quit my hospital nursing job to sit at a desk at home all day. I still went from a size 16 to a size 4 and 6 and I am turning 55 God willing in April. I went from choosing to lose weight to learning to live a healthy lifestyle. Five years will happen anyway, but I feel I have put the last 5 years to excellent use!

Good luck to you! You can do it. Just NEVER GIVE UP! = D
    Susan
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    If your clothes are looser, you're doing something right! I guarantee you. Just change up your routine and try adding resistance. Try adding protien. You can google the rest of the advice.

I know it sucks right now. I'm suck in a rut myself, I've been at 143 for the past month and can't seem to budge the scale. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Feel good about yourself. You body can tell when you're stressed and that makes you retain weight even more! You're going to just put on your sexy heels and strut your stuff. Okay?
  • abreia71
    Options
    Watch added sugar intake, make sure your drinking lots of water, (i go by 1/2 your body weight in oz) it helps motabalize your fat, also since you are working out you could be building lean muscle, so deffinatly take your mesurements! I want to be 125# but as long as I look good and can fit into the size clothes I want I dont care what the # on the scale is! :)
  • Grace619
    Grace619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Loud and clear. Going through the same thing. In my case, I'm thinking it's the age thing. All the things I did 5-10 years ago to lose weight (and then unfortunately regain it) are not working. Adjusting to an aging metabolism.....
  • Grace619
    Grace619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Susan,
    What incredible advice. Great words.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. But don't give up - you definitely won't get where you want to be that way. I haven't lost any this month but I'm hoping, like Susan said, that it will start to come off. Stick with it!
  • Annec0911
    Options
    I hear you! I had great start on MFP last Oct...lost 3kgs(7 lbs) by mid Nov. (150 down to 143)
    Felt totally in control and able to keep going.....and then....I lost focus....
    Come January those 7 lbs are back.....and seem to be attached with Super Glue!

Sheesh....

Am now trying to find my mojo again....have been reading over entries made on MFP in Oct

And....
    Have knocked out wine for FebFast. (no alcohol for the month of Feb)
    cranked up running to 40 mins a day (approx 4.5 miles)
    Knocked off coffee ....only black tea to avoid caffeine headaches
    And I know I need to religiously document every bite/ taste/lick of a spatula

Thanks to earlier posters re the KEEP GOING message...

I feel like i'm wading through molasses ...but the effort should show up soon...surely!

ps I am in the midst of a "torrid" perimenopause ....I strongly suspect my lack of success has something to do with this....but I WILL beat this....I have a mantra "57 Heaven" which refers to my goal of getting back to 57 kgs (126lbs)...

Hanging in there with you!
  • jsyburkhead
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging words and advice! SO needed them today! I'm definitly going to stick to what I've been doing. My body has GOT TO change with everything that I'm doing! It's being stubborn and I just have to be stubborn too! lol