Tell me about...

Options
Clean eating. I'm still learning what's ok to eat and what isn't ok to eat. Teach me your clean eating wisdom.

Replies

• lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bet you all would have something to say if I said I was going on the HCG diet :devil:
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Haha, funny how that is! Basically with clean eating you want to consume things that are in as close to their natural state as possible ( think lots of fruit, veggies and meat) and with other items you want to be able to pronounce thall the ingredients on the list ( compare lays potato chips to cheetos when you're in the store to understand what I mean better)
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You should check out the book "Clean Eating Diet" by Tosca Reno. Great info in there.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's an arbitrary list of "good" and "bad" foods that changes depending on who is making the list.
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    so eating without preservatives?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's an arbitrary list of "good" and "bad" foods that changes depending on who is making the list.

x2.
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    you guys are awesome, giving me all the answers, and none of the answers at the same time :ohwell:
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome, giving me all the answers, and none of the answers at the same time :ohwell:

Sorry. It's pretty much about avoiding processed food as much as possible. It's kinda like saying you're eating organic. Well guess what there isn't any guidelines as to what can/can't be labeled as organic so...... eating clean is a catch phrase.
  • StacyX582
    Options
    I'm just trying to cook my own food rather than get pre-packaged, incorporate more fruits and veggies, and stay away from fast food. Not sure if that answers the question :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I believe from the tons of opinions I have seen over the last 4 months, working toward less processed food, more raw or steamed or gently cooked foods. If you don't understand the ingredients give it a pass, lol.
  • FarmingFatty
    FarmingFatty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new around these parts, but also transitioning to clean eating as much as possible. I think the basics are organic when possible, get food locally (meat, veggies, etc.) Eating seasonally, like, leafy greens in the winter, and skipping stuff that doesn't grow naturally in the middle of January (Peaches, strawberries, etc.) They're usually juiced up with all kinds of chemicals to keep them fresh, then shipped from other countries and are weeks old by the time you get them. As for meats, I get poultry, pork and beef from a local farmer whose animals are all grass/pasture fed and hormone free. It's actually leaner meat than store bought. Less of the bad fats. Same with eggs. Farm fresh eggs are lower in bad cholesterol. (We have our own chickens, so thats not a problem. :) ) Your milk label should say something like rBST free (hormone free). I try to cook at home as much as possible, and stay away from anything that comes in a box or bag. (Not easy, but I do the best I can.)
    Anyway, sorry for the rambles. Hope it helps.