burning everything I eat?!?

Options
I got a fitbit and synced it, now it shows that I'm burning everything and my net keeps going negative. I just ate to get a whopping 129 on my net. At this rate I literally could be eating all day long. Do I need to just ignore it? Help!

Replies

• runnerwithin
    Options
    i think that the fit bit calculates your bmr, so you technically want to be in the negative b/c that is when youre going to be burning stored calories. but i may be wrong
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So, I just ignore it then, even though it isn't logging every single calorie I burn, just some, for example today so far I've burned 2,128 calories, but MFP has only labeled 699 calories as exercise and my net is disappearing again and will go negative soon :indifferent:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think it you are using something like fitbit, that is your WHOLE burn for the day. Thsi is you dont add it to the daily allowance MFP gives you, but use the number from your fitbit instead.

So for you, disregard the 1200 cals MFP gives you. Use the daily number from your fitbit and subtract the defecit (the number of calories you need to cut will depend on your goal, eg 1 or 2lbs per week).

So if your fitbit says you have burned a total of 2200 for the day (which will include your exercise) then you subtract your defacit from that (maybe 500 cals) and you have 1700 cals to eat.

Sorry if I repeated myself there, just wasnt sure if I was explaining it correctly :)
  • tpot74
    tpot74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a fitbit...do you think its worth the investment?
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think it you are using something like fitbit, that is your WHOLE burn for the day. Thsi is you dont add it to the daily allowance MFP gives you, but use the number from your fitbit instead.

This. MFP assumes you're moving around at least a bit during the day (getting in an out of chairs, walking around, etc) *before* exercise calories. Your fitbit is adding up all those little things and giving you your total number -- that's not your "exercise calorie" number, it's the whole thing. So definitely don't add MFP calories on top of fitbit calories.
  • brock303030
    brock303030 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    On the fit it takes your bmr plus the calories you set at either sedentary, lightly active, active or whatever. Then whatever you burn past that is additional weight loss. I would go to a track at a school and calibrate it to make sure 1 lap is exactly .25 miles. It makes since to me because my goal was to lose 3 pounds a week but I have been loosing nearly 5. I couldn't figure out why until I got the fitbit. Now I run stairs during breaks at work and it has really motivated me.