too much protein??

Options
Ok, I have started the body by Vi 90 day challenge, (Im not selling anything) I needed to learn ealthier food choices, any way As you can see on my log, I log everything I conume, my log calls for me to have 1410 calories, I can barely get there truth is I havent hit 1000 yet this week however always go over in protein. Keep in mind I'm the woman who ate once a day right after work, usually mcdonalds! then sat on my couch eating ruffles, so Im not thinking my body can go into starvation mode lol Bottom line...is the extra protein hurting me? any elp is greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.

The protein setting here is low, by a lot of peoples' estimation.

Use that protein setting as a MINIMUM. Not max.

Eat more.
  • supersourbubble
    Options
    MFP has our protein set really low. you can customize it for how you'd like it. As long as you're pretty healthy overall and no kidney issues, i would say being over in protein is ok. I myself try to eat over 100g of protein a day, and stay below 149g on carbs.

hope that helps!
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert or anything, but I don't think it'll have any significant negative effect on your body. I go over my protein almost every single day (sometimes by a LOT) but that's actually my goal. Protein is the key to building muscle. :)
  • Blair66
    Options
    my doctor said to track protein intake by meal. you dont want more than 24g of protein per meal. he said that our bodies can't process more than that...and any more would eventually hurt your kidneys.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    no MFP sets your protein intake kind of low anyways, I always go over on protein, and i am still loosing just fine. good luck on your journey! :wink:
  • George1567
    Options
    1 gram per pound of lean boady mass is very common. The MFP settings are based on the goverment standard, 2000 calorie diet 55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat. Many will say that 15% is too low for active/athletic lifestyles. Without a number I of how much your eating it is just a guess to say, but I doubt you are getting too much in 1000 calorie intake.
  • LadyLoriAnn
    Options
    I really am eating, can you see my log? (not sure if you can) I have a health shake for 2 meals, yogurt or hard boiled egg for snacks and a good meal, trust me i have been sooo full! i do at least 10 sit ups, and walk with weights. this is a uge change for me!
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Having extra protein or fat or carbs isn't really bad of and by themselves. Your overall caloric intake versus how many calories you're burning will ultimately decide whether you'll be losing weight or not. That's the simplest way to look at it.

Depending on your size, less than a 1000 calories a day is borderline unhealthy. Generally, going below 1200 calories a day is a bad idea and may not peel off the weight as fast if you ate a bit more and encouraged your metabolism to get out of starvation mode. It doesn't matter what you weigh, if you're not eating enough, your body will lock up the fat stores. Think of your metabolism like a candle. If you eat a lot, it's not worried about saving food, the candle burns bright. If you stop eating, it has no idea when the next meal will come, the candle barely lights the room. Like it or not, eating encourages your body to burn faster.
  • LadyLoriAnn
    Options
    and as u can see the "H" on my keyboard sticks sorry, and thanks everyone for your replies!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    my doctor said to track protein intake by meal. you dont want more than 24g of protein per meal. he said that our bodies can't process more than that...and any more would eventually hurt your kidneys.

Very interesting, I wonder if this goes the same for athletes who consume those 30g per serving protein shakes though :-/
  • LadyLoriAnn
    Options
    im 48, 185.00 andd 5 7
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public hun.
  • LadyLoriAnn
    Options
    ty
  • cstein71
    cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    my workout instructor told me today based on my excercize (5 days a week) I should be eating about 110 grams of protein for my weight (159). that seems like alot and mostly never could get there but I also am always over the MFP amount. 1000 calories is very low and you can put yourself in starvation mode where your body will burn muscle before fat. Not what you want.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories, 1000 per day gross isn't enough especially if you're exercising, it just isn't. If you're having metabolism issues this is why. I aim for 140 g of protein on days when I don't exercise, today my adjusted protein was a little over 170. Also, just because you're brain says full doesn't mean your body is nourished or replenished, it may very well just mean that you trained yourself to under eat and think it's okay.

Edit: I'm 34, 133.5 pounds.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you CAN consume too much protein, but I assure you, you're not. Aim for over 100g; MFP's set number is WAY too low, in my opinion.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have started the body by Vi 90 day challenge, (Im not selling anything) I needed to learn ealthier food choices, any way As you can see on my log, I log everything I conume, my log calls for me to have 1410 calories, I can barely get there truth is I havent hit 1000 yet this week however always go over in protein. Keep in mind I'm the woman who ate once a day right after work, usually mcdonalds! then sat on my couch eating ruffles, so Im not thinking my body can go into starvation mode lol Bottom line...is the extra protein hurting me? any elp is greatly appreciated! :)

Upon what do you base the idea that your body "can't" go into starvation mode? That you ate badly before? Because that just makes it MORE likely. If you're eating less than 1000 calories a day consistently, that's exactly what is happening. I wouldn't worry about the extra protein--my doctor adamantly insists I need more protein than MFP defaults to--I simply manually adjusted the percentages to the ones she prefers, which increased the protein and decreased the carbohydrates by a bit.
  • RogerF765
    Options
    I found this info on the bodybuilding.com website for how much protien you should be eating. Maybe it will help.

Lifestyle/Training Goal Daily Protein Needs

Bodybuilding 1.0 - 1.6g/lb bodyweight
    Endurance 0.7 - 0.9g/lb bodyweight
    Power & Speed 0.9 - 1.1g/lb bodyweight
    Trauma Recovery 0.9 - 1.4g/lb bodyweight
    Dieting 0.35 - 1.0g/lb bodyweight
    Stressed 0.45 - 0.7g/lb bodyweight

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbprotein.htm
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    may i ask, how do you get that much protein? the 140-170g? i'm supposed to be up there too, and i just cannot do it. i would love some advice or examples if you don't mind sharing!!!
    thanks!

You're not eating enough calories, 1000 per day gross isn't enough especially if you're exercising, it just isn't. If you're having metabolism issues this is why. I aim for 140 g of protein on days when I don't exercise, today my adjusted protein was a little over 170. Also, just because you're brain says full doesn't mean your body is nourished or replenished, it may very well just mean that you trained yourself to under eat and think it's okay.

Edit: I'm 34, 133.5 pounds.
  • LadyLoriAnn
    Options
    Well I did base it on eating badly before, looks like i get another snack of yogurt! ty
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!