Can anyone help?! I'm starving...

Options
I just started this program yesterday....and really, REALLY want to stick with my goals. Unfortunately, as a woman, it is that time of the month again. Just before my period starts, and shortly afterwards, I am incredibly hungry. I crave a lot of meat, and am satisfied with food for a short while before I need to eat again. What would be something good to curb the hunger and also help me stay within my goals?

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I get cravings but mine are usually choc and carbs so like today I had 2 choc slim fast shakes one for breakfast one for lunch to curb the choccy cravings and for dinner I did a low cal pizza using a gluten free naan bread as the base with fresh veg, bit of tomato puree and a bit of cheese on top. I stick diet patches on too at this time of month to curb the cravings and I don't get through as much choc as I used to I can be satisfied with a small piece or a chocolately drink instead of eating a huge bar at like over 1,000 cals!

I also try and exercise every day I have the cravings so if I do eat more than usual I still have a deficit, then hopefully when the water comes off I will still have lost an extra pound or two!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For me, when hunger attacks I have to decide if it's mental (am I bored? Stressed? Emotional?) or if I'm legitimately hungry.

If I'm really hungry, I eat. I do my best to stick to my calorie goals, but sometimes I go over a bit because I needed a snack between my regular meals (I try to make sure it's a good choice). I can't see your food diary, so please make sure your calories aren't set too low. MFP standard is 1200, but sometimes that just isn't enoough food. If you're set at adequate calories, then try to aim for foods that are higher in fiber, protien and healthy fats that will satiate you and keep you fuller longer.

If the hunger is more mental, I do my best to remedy it without food. If I'm bored, I find something to do. If I'm stessed or upset about something I find other ways to relieve those emotions. I've also become better at learning my triggers--If I watch Food Network on a really weak day, it will trigger cravings, for example. This journey is about getting healthier mentall as well as physically!

Hope that helps, and stick with it. The first couple of weeks will be the hardest but your body will adjust!
  • oceanchristy
    Options
    Green tea, cinnamon gum...
  • AnneMarieKir1
    Options
    Do you like cucumber & humous?
  • Suznorem
    Options
    At least you carve something healthy - I agree with the other posts - especially the mental part. Try making a chicken breast -measure out 4 ounces, cut into small pieces and put at the front of your frig. Or, measure out some shrimp or prawns and do the same. I also like to take grapes off the stem and put in a 1/2 cup measure and stick in the fridge. Then when you want something just take one or two pieces. All this is accounted for in your diary. It might help.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible your deficit is a bit excessive, or you've jumped in a bit quick. I believe its easiest to start with a week of maintenance before cutting calories. Slow and steady, like the highway dept.

Anyway, apples absolutely kill my appetite. So do colonoscapy videos on YouTube.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    personally i think u should start slow by not denying yourself anything and just take two weeks to really get into logging your food and being accountable ...then add in small changes ..and learn what foods are more filling its all trial and error...but dont deny yourself food if you are hungry just eat and log it.....
  • rballard84
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's suggestions....that really helps. It's nice to know I'm not alone in any of this.
  • ilbdaycakesli
    Options
    Make sure you are getting all your liquids in. That fills you up. Plus sometimes craving for hydration is felt as hunger. And as others have suggested ease yourself into this slowly.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Extra protien such as nuts or greek yogurt or lean turkey or chicken
  • ilovejuan2009
    Options
    lots of water! water fills you up. tea with mint is good the mint suppresses the appetite. and salad is good too, not a lot of calories but it's still filling. hope that helps. and good luck with your weight loss goals.
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible your deficit is a bit excessive, or you've jumped in a bit quick. I believe its easiest to start with a week of maintenance before cutting calories. Slow and steady, like the highway dept.

Anyway, apples absolutely kill my appetite. So do colonoscapy videos on YouTube.

Haha, nice. I agree, you might be jumping in too quickly. If you feel like you can't handle it, then maybe reset your goals to lose less weight in a week. Liquids are important, and exercise will help quite a bit. It can also take quite a bit of time to find the right kinds of foods so you can stay full and keep with your calorie goals. Just stick with it, make adjustments here and there, and eventually you'll find a nice balance.