eat calories burned by excercise

msdiii1
msdiii1 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Should you eat the calories burned by excercise? I've been working out like a demon for the last three weeks and haven't lost a pound. I'm allowed 1200 calories a day and stay within that range and only consume extra calories burned by excercise.

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    yes you should. that's why MFP adds them back in.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    hmmmmmmmm

interesting question:wink:

I always have exercise calories to eat

yesterday...I had 1180 exercise calories....there is no way I would eat all those....dont need em...I ate about 700 of them and was FULL

today..Sunday..I will probably end up with 600-700...I may eat all of em or I may leave 100 or so on the table..

find what works for you...but I would say always eat at a minumum....half or more of your ecercise calories....tinker around a bit and see what works and how you feel

the really important thing thoug is the QUALITY of your calories....eating low calorie low fat processed food is not helping your goal to lose weight and have more energy...

have some fun
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    I always eat my exercise calories and usually do well when I follow the guidelines on this site. I have had problems losing when I am either consuming too little calories, consuming too many calories, or exercising a lot.

When I first came to this site, I had been on another website for a solid month eating a lot fewer calories (1200) and not losing weight. When I came to this site, I kept my exercise the same and started eating 1500 calories plus my exercise calories and immediately started losing like crazy, 1-3 pounds a week.

I have also had problems losing when I exercise a lot. I have found that I tend to over fuel in this situation. To keep myself from overeating when I am exercising a lot I drink tons of water. For me, I think that exercising a lot was causing me to eat too much when I was actually thirsty.

Another issue that I have had is overestimating how many calories I'm burning with exercise. Heart rate monitors can help you get a better idea of how many calories you are burning.

I've also noticed that once I get to that last 10 pounds they take forever to come off. I'll start only losing about a half pound a week and that's if I am super good with the plan. Maybe re-evaluate your goals. Maybe set them to lose less per week.

Hth
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    the really important thing thoug is the QUALITY of your calories....eating low calorie low fat processed food is not helping your goal to lose weight and have more energy...

have some fun

I agree:flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    The less you have to lose, the harder it will be, the slower it will be, and the more frustrating it will be. BUT... don't focus on the scale. Are you firming up? Are your clothes looser?

Eat healthy, give it 6-8 weeks of eating the same calories, working out the same amount before judging whether or not you need to make a change. With the little you have to lose, it's going to take some time to see if things are working or not. If after 2 mos, you haven't lost ANY weight at all... then maybe set your calorie goals to .5 or 1 pound per week, and try that for 2 mos.
  • kechiemc
    The less you have to lose, the harder it will be, the slower it will be, and the more frustrating it will be. BUT... don't focus on the scale. Are you firming up? Are your clothes looser?

Eat healthy, give it 6-8 weeks of eating the same calories, working out the same amount before judging whether or not you need to make a change. With the little you have to lose, it's going to take some time to see if things are working or not. If after 2 mos, you haven't lost ANY weight at all... then maybe set your calorie goals to .5 or 1 pound per week, and try that for 2 mos.

Great advice:flowerforyou:
  • msdiii1
    msdiii1 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for the input, the feedback is encouraging. I have firmed up considerable but the scale hasn't budged. I've done almost two hours of cardio a day and weights so I've been disappointed. I make sure I consume 8 glasses of water a day.
This discussion has been closed.