Does this really work?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm new too this site and from what I can see its really good, but the question I have is does it really work?

I used to be a slim size 10 but since I moved in with my partner, and he has been really supportive, but I balloned to a size 16, and I hate it. I really would love to fit back into my old. gorgeous clothes and I have tried loads of things but so far, no luck.

This was recommended to me by a friend who swears by it, but different strokes for different fokes. If this does work I plan to stick with this as if my life depended on it, even recording my cups of tea!

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It only works if you are honest and willing to stop doing the things that got you there in the first place. Honestly, nothing works if someone isn't willing to do work themselves. You have to watch what you eat...and if you are like me and need to see the numbers then it will... But if you don't like writing stuff that you eat in your journal or weighing yourself or working out or (most important) not being honest with yourself at what you are doing/eating... no, it won't work.

But as a fitness professional...losing weight is 80% diet and 20% working out. If you want to lose the weight you have to see what is going in. And if you are like sooooooo many others that are SHOCKED by how much that eat. What is "1" meal is really the daily cal allowances for an entire day (Qudoba Burrito).

Just be honest, MEASURE everything that you eat (yes this mean just one cookie, one sip of milk, one M&M, just a bite of a hamburger...) you will be surprised how much the little things add up. (24 M&M peanuts are 300ish cals...or 25% of your daily allowance...)
    Best of luck you can do it only if you really really want to, and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Of course it does, if you persevere and are completely honest about what you eat and what your activities are. For example, I joined mfp a year ago March, and in almost three months lost about 23 lbs. (I have a lot to lose!) but then I hit a plateau, and rather than persevere, I just fell back into my old habits, and over a year, gained all that hard sought weight back, plus an additional 4 lbs. :tongue:

But it's ok. I've been logging since May 7, and have lost 14 lbs. Exercise is key. That's what will get that weight off and keep it off, and not anything extreme. I just walk. And walk. And walk. I also horseback ride, and I do have a stationary bike that I turn to when the weather's bad.

Just set realistic goals and be honest, and you'll have your size 10s back in no time! (I don't think I could fit my big toe into a 10, but good for you! :bigsmile: )
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to mfp.

I have found this site helpful in keeping motivated, the message boards are inspiring, encouraging and informative, they pick me up when I am low and provide me with company when I and lonely and want to eat.

Keeping track of my food and exercise is really helpful to keeping me on task, also I like that I can make my diary open (can be kept private) so my friends who want to checkup on me can!.

I think if you join a group or 2 and meet people with similar gaols, and read the message boards you will find a lot of people similar to yourself with similar frustrations, and find answers to help overcome those frustrations.

Anyway, give it a go, get involved and enjoy the site! I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey!

Leah
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes this works if you stay within the suggested calories for your goal, drink the suggested # of cups of water and depending on your level of activity record the exercise above your normal lifestyle it definitely will work.,

The food database is extensive so if you are diligent about tracking what you eat then it is fairly easy to stay within the calories - you have to think about the choices you are making before you eat. I've lost 30 lbs. since January 1. I've gained 70 lbs. in 7 years and was in a 16 - now I'm back in my 12's, I'm almost half way where I want to be so I can wear my 8's and 10's.

Participate in one of the motivational and support threads and you will have daily support to keep on track. If you have trouble drinking water - use the different Crystal Lights. :drinker: :drinker: They are wonderful very few calories. I use the Sunrise at breakfast - taste just like orange juice but only 10 calories for 16 oz., I have Peach Mango Metabolism booster with my lunch 10 calories for 16 oz., Afternoon snack 16 oz. of water with the Wild Strawberry Energy flavor in lieu of an unhealthy snack and sometimes I'll have a 100 calorie granola bar with it. This has got you 6 cups of water, I will drink 16 oz of plain water on the drive home and then have 16 oz with either Lipton tea or a crystal light red tea or another metabolism one so I usually have 80 oz. of water a day in addition to my 3 or 4 cups of coffee with splenda. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

The key to success is track your calories, drink the water and exercise will boost the weight loss.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have found this site has helped my alot, and It's made me very conscious about EVERYTHING i eat, even the little things you don't think would matter, they most defiantly do! But you do have to be honest, and if your not, your only cheating yourself. I was a slim girl and I too put on some poundage when I met my husband, and so now i'm taking my time and accounting for everything I eat!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'm new too this site and from what I can see its really good, but the question I have is does it really work?

I used to be a slim size 10 but since I moved in with my partner, and he has been really supportive, but I balloned to a size 16, and I hate it. I really would love to fit back into my old. gorgeous clothes and I have tried loads of things but so far, no luck.

This was recommended to me by a friend who swears by it, but different strokes for different fokes. If this does work I plan to stick with this as if my life depended on it, even recording my cups of tea!

Any advice would be great.

Hi!! Welcome, the same this happened to me. My grandmother told me I had "comfy cow syndrome"...
    This site is great, like everyone says as long as you are true to yourself. I love it, I have found that it is so much easier to keep track of what I eat, if someone else is doing the math for me!
    Good Luck!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This site has changed my life and it can change yours.

Take it one day at a time.
    Take baby steps
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Drink a lot of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

"If you bite it, you write it". Keep track of everything.

Since January I have given away all my size 16's except for one that I will use someday to take a picture like those ads in the magazines with a tiny woman holding up a pair of gigantic jeans.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I have bought an discarded several pairs of size 12 and size 10 jeans and today am wearing size 8.. I only bought two because I plan to discard them soon.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

You can do it.
  • dlestermfp
    dlestermfp Posts: 106
    Options
    What works is consuming fewer calories than you burn, and this site has a really great interface for keeping track of all that. There is really no way it can't work as long as everything you enter is accurate and you don't 'forget' to enter everything.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works. go and read my story on my profile if you want to. I am a true testiment of how this site works. :flowerforyou:
  • Chasabeth
    Chasabeth Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all your advice and support, its been really helpful!

I am going to stick to my guns and record EVERTHING, even if I don't like what I see.

Fingers crossed!