Fish Oil

Options
I been seeing people taking more than the required amounts of fish oil in both posts and food diaries. Is there any sort of benefits from doing so or is all the excess mainly diluted in your body. Also those who know, do you prefer the fish oil or the krill oil?

Replies

• Ainohikari
    Ainohikari Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It has its benefits, like lowering cholesterol, and managing some mood disorders can be easier. Krill oil is more concentrated, so I prefer it, but I also hate fish and their taste so I take it because of that.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I just love the fish burps!

actually, I take it in the winter because it seems to really help my dry skin.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I take a few different oils ... Omega 3-6-9, Fish oil with Omega 3 & 6 ... and Coconut Oil.

The benefits are unlimited and the way I see it ...

" My body is like a well oiled machine "
  • jheath123
    Options
    I had some good ones from GNC called tripple strength fish oil had a thicker coating so the didn't dissolved till your intestine so no burping them up. Now I have some lemon flavored one that still make you burp but don't taste bad, but today I had a sample of some garlic pill, the fish oil and I drink a v8 with my breakfast break at work....talk about a weird tasting burp lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You should prob shoot for around 2-3g of EPA + DHA, some fish oils may have lower amounts of EPA+DHA so people have to take more pills/oil to get the right amount of EPA + DHA
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The important thing about Fish Oil is the Omega 3 in it. Most people don't eat enough omega 3 in their diet. Fish oil is a good supplement for that. Fish oil is better the krill oil. Chia seed may be better then fish oil. Omega 3 comes from EPA and DHA in the fish oil. Alot of science have been studying this and found that is helpful in lowering triglycerides and cholesterol. Chia seed has ALA that is thought to turn into EPA and DHA in the body. Scientist just don't know who efficient it is turned into these. Scientist generally agree, and there has been alot of studies, that EPA and DHA is good for lowering Triglycerides and Cholesterol which if you need to do this, taking fish oil may help reduce these by up to 20% I read.

Either way it is good to eat foods high in Omega 3. I changed from Fish oil to Chia Seed because you have to take 4 grams of omega 3 to get any kind of effect on lowering Triglycerides in the body. So when taking fish oil, if you look at the back, there is actually only about 1.5 grams omega 3 per 2 pills, so you would need to take at least 6 pills a day, in the best fish oil pills. However there is about 5 grams of Omega 3 ALA in 2 Tbs of chia seeds. The draw back, as I said, Omega 3 from plants, like Chia seed and Krill, is still hasn't been studied like fish oil so scientist don't know how that works in the body. But early thinking is it is good.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You should prob shoot for around 2-3g of EPA + DHA, some fish oils may have lower amounts of EPA+DHA so people have to take more pills/oil to get the right amount of EPA + DHA

agree with this.

http://www.jacn.org/content/27/1/51.long

A comparison of fish oil, flaxseed oil and hempseed oil supplementation on selected parameters of cardiovascular health in healthy volunteers.
    Kaul N, Kreml R, Austria JA, Richard MN, Edel AL, Dibrov E, Hirono S, Zettler ME, Pierce GN.
    Source

Canadian Centre for Agri-Food Research in Health and Medicine, St. Boniface Hospital Research Centre, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R2H 2A6.
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:

The impact of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) of the n-6 and n-3 series on the cardiovascular system is well documented. To directly compare the effects of three dietary oils (fish, flaxseed and hempseed) given in concentrations expected to be self-administered in the general population on specific cardiovascular parameters in healthy volunteers.

DESIGN:

86 healthy male and female volunteers completed a 12 week double blinded, placebo controlled, clinical trial. They were randomly assigned to one of the four groups. Subjects were orally supplemented with two 1 gm capsules of placebo, fish oil, flaxseed oil or hempseed oil per day for 12 weeks.

RESULTS:

Plasma levels of the n-3 fatty acids docosahexanoic acid and eicosapentanoic acid increased after 3 months supplementation with fish oil. Alpha linolenic acid concentrations increased transiently after flaxseed supplementation. However, supplementation with hempseed oil did not significantly alter the concentration of any plasma fatty acid. The lipid parameters (TC, HDL-C, LDL-C and TG) did not show any significant differences among the four groups. Oxidative modification of LDL showed no increase in lag time over the 12 wk period. None of the dietary interventions induced any significant change in collagen or thrombin stimulated platelet aggregation and no increase in the level of inflammatory markers was observed.

CONCLUSION:

From a consumer's perspective, ingesting 2 capsules of any of these oils in an attempt to achieve cardiovascular health benefits may not provide the desired or expected result over a 3 month period.

MB Just sayin'

FYI it was a poor study on the actual subject at hand due to the fact the supplementation was nowhere near sufficient (2000mg a day). But with that said it did show the increases (or lack of) from baseline in all the Plasma Fatty Acid Profiles between the different PUFA sources, which made for much interesting reading for this nerd!

The Cool Stuff

Plasma Fatty Acid Profiles for Study Participants at 0, 6 and 12 Weeks of Dietary Intervention
    GROUP DHA mean ± sem EPA mean ± sem ALA mean ± sem LA mean ± sem
    Placebo 0wk 56.8 ± 4.3 22.2 ± 2.6 14.0 ± 2.3 1057 ± 60
    Placebo 6wk 56.5 ± 5.0 22.4 ± 2.7 16.4 ± 2.8 1063 ± 40
    Placebo 12wk 56.8 ± 4.4 22.6 ± 2.6 14.9 ± 2.8 1055 ± 41

Fish 0wk 66.1 ± 6.5 22.6 ± 3.0 19.5 ± 3.4 1027 ± 47
    Fish 6wk 90.1 ± 5.6* 36.9 ± 3.7* 19.9 ± 3.4 1064 ± 49
    Fish 12wk 95.4 ± 7.0* 35.0 ± 3.0* 20.4 ± 3.4 1063 ± 48

Flax 0wk 65.0 ± 4.9 23.9 ± 2.8 19.7 ± 3.1 1014 ± 35
    Flax 6wk 64.9 ± 4.4 25.7 ± 2.8 27.7 ± 3.5* 1001 ± 36
    Flax 12wk 64.2 ± 6.1 25.6 ± 3.0 25.1 ± 3.5 989 ± 43

Hemp 0wk 66.3 ± 7.2 26.8 ± 3.4 14.8 ± 2.5 1089 ± 42
    Hemp 6wk 64.8 ± 6.5 23.4 ± 3.7 17.5 ± 2.9 1049 ± 48
    Hemp 12wk 64.3 ± 7.3 24.7 ± 3.7 15.8 ± 3.0 1108 ± 56

Values are mean ± SEM and are given in ug/ml.

DHA = docosahexaenoic acid, EPA = eicosapentaenoic acid, ALA = alpha linolenic acid, LA = linoleic acid.

↵* p < 0.05 vs respective baseline value at 0 week within same group. All other comparisons were not significantly different (p > 0.05).

GLA: gamma-linolenic acid levels are not shown as there were no significant differences within each group at 0, 6 and 12 weeks nor between any of the groups (average level was 14 mg).
  • MzGreedii
    Options
    it's suppose to be good for preventative and treatment purposes. There are so many, but off the top of my head; it helps treat the heart, high blood pressure, diabetes, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, ADHD, and asthma. It's also shown in studies that people who consume more Omega 3, are less likely to diagnosed with certain cancers.

You do have to be careful taking excessive dosages because it thins the blood, especially if you bruise easily or take blood thinners, including aspirin on a daily basis.

One way to eliminate the fishy taste is to freeze them and take them before bed, if you do burp up the fishiness, it will be during sleep, i have had plenty experience with my son and relieving him of the taste.