by summer..

Options
2»

Replies

• thin150
    thin150 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im have similar goals. Im trying to lose 30 pounds and I should be able to lose 1.5 pounds a week. Which I think its very realistic if I work out and eat healthy!
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    also anyone can feel free to message me:) id love to hear any tips or thoughts or advice :) add me :) whichever. i love encouragement. and POSTIVITY :)
  • nataliemae2011
    nataliemae2011 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

:noway: :noway: :noway: NOOOOOO!!!!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

A pound is a pound! A pound of muscle is SMALLER than a pound of fat, but it weighs (duh!) a pound!!!!

What i MEAN IS that she might gain a couple of pounds because of building muscle during work out once muscle is made it starts burning more cal. and thus burning more fat. DUH.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound! A pound of muscle is SMALLER than a pound of fat, but it weighs (duh!) a pound!!!!
    Muscle weighs more than fat -- BY VOLUME!

In other words, a gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.
    Why? Muscle is more dense than fat like lead is denser than water.

That's all people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat.
    Some may not express the concept correctly, but that's what they mean.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That might be too big a bite.
    I get that you want that summer beach body.
    My fear is self-sabotage and just making things worse.
    Do what you think is right, but my take is that you are setting yourself up for a setback.
    I hope I am wrong, and if I am, be sure to rub my nose in it.

Oh, and check body fat here
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

do you mean that the weight for my high is too litle? or do you just mean that it may be tough to lose it by summer? sorry i as just confused. but thank you :)
    MFP recommends 1 pound per week weight loss, and I don't think this goal is reasonable.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    Then you have to lower calories even more to compensate, and the cycle continues.

Take the time to lose 1 pound per week, and be content with that.
    The results will be healthy and lasting.

MFP says i should eat 1200 cals. so i eat them and sometimes extra when i workout. im confused on the deficit thing. i just don't understand what that means is all. could you explain it please? :) thanks a lot. im sorry im asking so much. i guess ive just been a little confused.
    A pound equals about 3500 calories.
    3500 divided by 7 days equals 500 calories.
    A 500 per day deficit should produce about a pound of weight loss per week.
    Any more than 1 pound is over reaching.
    You are setting yourself up to fail.

That's as blunt as I can be.
    Sorry if this sounds negative, but truth is not always unicorns and rainbows.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    im a personal trainer, id say that your goal can be done but may be tricky as you always loose the most weight at the begining of a diet. your obviously not what anyone would call over weight etc. and scale weight loss isn't always the best way to know what your doing is working (muscle development etc) measure your bf% and also a good motivator is inches lost. keep a healthy diet, and keep exercising, if you meet your target then great if not then a few pounds wont matter iit will just take an extra few weeks. im tired so sorry if this makes no senseeeee!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options

What i MEAN IS that she might gain a couple of pounds because of building muscle during work out once muscle is made it starts burning more cal. and thus burning more fat. DUH.

What you said was "Muscle weighs more than fat"....it's just not true!!!! Just stop perpetating that ignorance!!!!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat -- BY VOLUME!

In other words, a gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.
    Why? Muscle is more dense than fat like lead is denser than water.

That's all people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat.
    Some may not express the concept correctly, but that's what they mean.

But fat and muscle isn't measured by the gallon, they're measured by the pound...gallons are, as you said measures of volume, not weight....maybe they should learn to express themselves better or keep their nonsense to themselves! I understand what you're saying , as I stated a pound of muscle is smaller (or, if you prefer, more dense) than a pound of fat. I just get sick of hearing fat people, like I used to be say, "oh muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe I'm just building muscle and that's why I'm not losing weight!" If you're building muscle and losing fat you're going to get smaller! They never, never explain themselves, just shoot off that stupid "muscle weighs more that fat" nonsense!
  • rgrichard
    Options
    That might be too big a bite.
    I get that you want that summer beach body.
    My fear is self-sabotage and just making things worse.
    Do what you think is right, but my take is that you are setting yourself up for a setback.
    I hope I am wrong, and if I am, be sure to rub my nose in it.

Oh, and check body fat here
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

do you mean that the weight for my high is too litle? or do you just mean that it may be tough to lose it by summer? sorry i as just confused. but thank you :)
    MFP recommends 1 pound per week weight loss, and I don't think this goal is reasonable.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    Then you have to lower calories even more to compensate, and the cycle continues.

Take the time to lose 1 pound per week, and be content with that.
    The results will be healthy and lasting.

Actually, muscles demand calories to function, thus raising your metabolism. therefore, gaining muscle will make your caloric demand higher, though muscle is dense (about 2:1 ratio to fat), and therefore any higher numbers seen on a scale will not be attributed to increased fat, but in fact a higher muscle mass, which is healthier. If you dedicate yourself, you can lose the 1.7 pounds per week that you plan on achieving (calculating from 2 feb). It WILL be hard though. and the 3500 cals per pound is accurate.
    Working out doesn't mean you need to eat more. doing so will maintain your weight. if you eat your 1200 cals per day, and workout, those negative calories will equate to weight loss.
    If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask! :)
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track and have been having success in your weight loss. I wanted to comment on a couple things. First your waist to hip ratio, this is a tool used to measure fat distribution and when it is high, health risk increases. 0.86 is considered very high for young women (I calculated yours out to be 0.80). So this is good you are being proactive on getting fit and healthy. And losing 29 pounds in the amount of time you indicated is very achievable. The recommended amount of weight to lose per week is 1-2 pounds, at that rate, with your goal, you would be at 1.8 lbs a week.

The second issue is don't get too caught up in the scale. I say this because it sounds like you are relating scale weight to physique - and these two numbers can contradict each other. For example, I am 6 foot tall and one summer I weighed 150 lbs and size 8. I started adding strength training to my cardio workouts and within 4 months I still weighed in at 150 lbs, but was a size 6. Also, an added benefit of strength training is that lean muscle mass increases your metabolism, which helps you burn more fat throughout the day.

Good luck - I am a personal trainer and love helping people achieve their goals. The best way to stay on track is to preplan your week. It is harder to stay on track when you wing it - plan out your week, even meals out and you will be successful:)