ORGANIC EATING (I'm ready to switch!)

Options

Replies

• steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    shop at costco. it is cheaper than whole foods and just about everything is organic.

Thanks for this tip. I did not know that carried alot of organic foods.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Great tip! This is going to help me a lot! For my birthday (may) I am thinking about asking for one of those indoor veggie growers. Anyone have any opinions on those? I don't really have room for an outside garden....

Also in school I had an assignment. This assignment lead me to two sites that I really enjoyed. One is called Slowfood.com and the other is farmaid.org. If you have time you should check them out and let me know what you think.
  • foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This gives a list of vegetables you should buy organic and those you can get away with buying conventional. It may help you make your shift as far as fruits and vegetables go:
    http://www.prevention.com/dirtiestcleanest/

(edited to fix link)
  • reka74
    reka74 Posts: 70
    Options
    Good choice! Good for you!
    ...Take a step further and read this books! You are going to love them: Dr Collins: China Study and Dr Keon:Whitewash.
  • awoodwaring
    awoodwaring Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    http://www.localharvest.org/

That site will help you locate local farmers. If you are Northern CA, I can sell you free range/GMO free heritage pork or free range lamb. :)
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big milk drinker, so I tend to buy milk, and then it spoils before I finnish the carton. So I would waste so much money on the milk because I thew out to much of it. When I started buying organic I found that the expiration date on organic milk tends to be an entire month later than non organic milk. So, while the carton of organic milk is about a dollar more, I am really saving about 2 dollars by not having to thow out spoiled milk. So I'll never switch back to non organic milk.

Also, my husband would get an upset stomach in the mornings when he would drink a glass of milk, since switching to organic milk he has not had this issue again. Sooo, is lactose intolerance really more about the crap in the milk and less about the milk itself?
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    It is true that organic food is expensive. But Americans actually allocate a very small percentage of their total budget for (conventionally grown) food; food is cheaper here than it is in most countries, because a lot of things here are subsidized. In fact, food prices in the U.S. were actually much higher in previous decades. When I get down about how much I'm spending on organic food, I try to think that really I'm just spending the "normal" amount that a person would normally spend on food if everything in this country wasn't made so dirt cheap by stores such as Wal-Mart. Besides, investing in nutrition is investing in health. It's also participating in a philosophy of how to treat the earth and the people living on it.
  • kbw414
    Options
    I wanted to add, too, that when we buy organic, we recognize the higher price tags and are compelled to eat ALL of what we buy, without wasting anything. When something is expensive, you'll think twice about buying more than what you need and you'll put what you get to good use.
  • kbw414
    Options
    http://www.localharvest.org/

That site will help you locate local farmers. If you are Northern CA, I can sell you free range/GMO free heritage pork or free range lamb. :)

I don't live in California, but this sounds amazing! Thank you for providing good healthy food options for others!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Organic clean eating and taking care of my body nutritionally has become somewhat of a hobby to me. I now have a very developed taste and love for fruits, vegetables and whole grains - it's great. Organic eating will take some getting used to and adjusting (as well a figuring out how to budget, etc.) but once you start eating that way your body will continue to crave it. Good luck to you, there are many people willing to offer support or advice (including me) if you want it!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Bump! On the hunt for organic grass fed meat...
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    Options
    I'm not a big milk drinker, so I tend to buy milk, and then it spoils before I finnish the carton. So I would waste so much money on the milk because I thew out to much of it. When I started buying organic I found that the expiration date on organic milk tends to be an entire month later than non organic milk. So, while the carton of organic milk is about a dollar more, I am really saving about 2 dollars by not having to thow out spoiled milk. So I'll never switch back to non organic milk.

Also, my husband would get an upset stomach in the mornings when he would drink a glass of milk, since switching to organic milk he has not had this issue again. Sooo, is lactose intolerance really more about the crap in the milk and less about the milk itself?

I noticed this also! I used to have to throw away milk because I would open the carton, drink a glass, go back a few days later and it was starting to spoil. The same thing with eggs. The organic tends to last so much longer so in the long run I was spending less money. Makes me wonder why the organic milk doesn't spoil so quickly. The expiration date is usually nearly a month out on the organic and only a week or so on the conventional.
  • runningmaria
    runningmaria Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have the space for a second freezer, buying 1/4 or a 1/2 of beef is a great and economical way to eat significantly healthier (grass fed and humanely raised) meat. I found my beef on craigslist (search for "beef" under the farm and garden category). I've been able to tour the farm, talk with the farmer, and see the animals both times I've done this.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    IMO, organic (but particularly local) makes my veggies and fruits taste soooooooo much better. We pay more for our organics, but it's worth it to enjoy our food. We also get a box of local foods and veggies delivered biweekly (even now - just more eggs and butter, less fruit/veg in the winter) which I love. I highly recommend farmers markets and don't be afraid to ask those farmers about their farming processes. Sometimes they just can't afford the certification.

If you start getting into it, eating well becomes a hobby or even a religion. Enjoy. :)

Recommendations:
    Food Rules
    In Defense of Food
    Forks Over Knives
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I noticed this also! I used to have to throw away milk because I would open the carton, drink a glass, go back a few days later and it was starting to spoil. The same thing with eggs. The organic tends to last so much longer so in the long run I was spending less money. Makes me wonder why the organic milk doesn't spoil so quickly. The expiration date is usually nearly a month out on the organic and only a week or so on the conventional.

Organic milk lasts longer because producers use a different process to preserve it. According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country.

The process that gives the milk a longer shelf life is called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing or treatment, in which milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit (138 degrees Celsius) for two to four seconds, killing any bacteria in it.

Compare that to pasteurization, the standard preservation process. There are two types of pasteurization: "low temperature, long time," in which milk is heated to 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) for at least 30 minutes*, or the more common "high temperature, short time," in which milk is heated to roughly 160 degrees F (71 degrees C) for at least 15 seconds.

The different temperatures hint at why UHT-treated milk lasts longer: Pasteurization doesn’t kill all bacteria in the milk, just enough so that you don't get a disease with your milk mustache. UHT, on the other hand, kills everything.

Retailers typically give pasteurized milk an expiration date of four to six days. Ahead of that, however, was up to six days of processing and shipping, so total shelf life after pasteurization is probably up to two weeks. Milk that undergoes UHT doesn’t need to be refrigerated and can sit on the shelf for up to six months.

Regular milk can undergo UHT, too. The process is used for the room-temperature Parmalat milk found outside the refrigerator case and for most milk sold in Europe.

So why isn’t all milk produced using UHT?

One reason is that UHT-treated milk tastes different. UHT sweetens the flavor of milk by burning some of its sugars (caramelization). A lot of Americans find this offensive—just as they are leery of buying nonrefrigerated milk. Europeans, however, don’t seem to mind.

UHT also destroys some of the milk’s vitamin content—not a significant amount—and affects some proteins, making it unusable for cheese.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I personally prefer grass fed raw milk straight from the cow. I hate the preservation process that milk undergoes and there are many more instances of food bourne illnesses from milk going through the homogenization and pastuerization process than milk coming staight from the cow.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great suggestions.

Food wise, search out local farmers for grass fed, free range, compassionate certfied meats. CSA, local Coops and growing your own veggies help with cost and quality tremendously.

If you have to purchase from the regular grocery market, then don't compromise on the dirty dozen that should be organic due to eating the skin and such.

Buying local keeps money in your local economy and builds sustainsable and lasting food sources for everyone.

Make your own cleaning supplies. Lemon juice, water, vinegar and baking soda are tremendous household cleaners and work way better than the commercial items.

You can also make your own deodrant, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Message me if you want the recipes for any cleaning supplies or hygiene products.

The flouride in the water is awful for us also and the other stuff is just ewwww.

As far as cosmetics go, here is where I get my cosmetics from:

http://store.natures-harvest.net/servlet/StoreFront

My skin care is simple. 1 product..........Coconut oil. I use it for shaving, conditioning, cleansing, moisturizing, main component in my toothpaste and deodrant.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Regarding milk, look into almond milk. Lots of nutrients, great taste and only 35 calories/cup. ;)
  • Chinook71
    Options
    Have you read Michael Pollan's books? The farmer in one chapter of his Omnivore's Dilemna, Joel Salatin also has a newer book called something like "Folks, this ain't Normal".

Both of these are fantastic and very informative!!

I also subscribe to a magazine called Clean Eating and absolutely love it!!