To do or not do Protein Powders?

Options
I see so many people that work a scoop of protein powder, Body Fortress, or other types into their food intake everyday. Could someone let me know the reasoning behind the protein powder? I seem to fulfill my protein most day without problem. Should I be trying to go above the MFP suggested amount? I do a weightlifting class 2x per week (Bodypump) but no real HEAVY lifting. Thoughts????

Replies

• LadyFaile
    Options
    My understanding is that it is a quick and easy was to get protein in your diet post workout to help with muscle recovery. If you're already taking care of this in another way, then there would be absolutely no need to go with the protein powder.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use powdered protein. It's a quick easy low calorie low (no?) fat protein hit.
  • Smithvalerie
    Smithvalerie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do the protein shake as a meal replacement in the am because I don't eat breakfast. It is quick and easy and it has all nutrients I need to start my day. Some are not meal replacement. However, mine is and it is only 100 calories. Gives me much needed engery to jump start my day!
  • miamigirll
    Options
    Me too! I'm taking the Body By Vi Shakes...love them! They are low calorie, full of good stuff, and I feel great :)
    I do the protein shake as a meal replacement in the am because I don't eat breakfast. It is quick and easy and it has all nutrients I need to start my day. Some are not meal replacement. However, mine is and it is only 100 calories. Gives me much needed engery to jump start my day!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you don't think you need them, then don't bother.

Personally, I gave it a try since I was having a hard time recovering from workouts. I would be sore for a lot longer than I thought I should have been, and the protein powder seems to help quite a bit. However, it is expensive and tastes like snot, so I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if it didn't help me out in some way.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's a very calorie efficient way to get protein. 20-25 Gs for 120-140 calories for most brands. It doesn't require refrigeration either. If you want to stay away from them but are watching calories chicken breast and greek yogurt are pretty efficient proteins
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its not necessary if you get enough from your diet. most of us according to our RDA only need to intake about 40-60 grams a day. You keep hearing about going on body weight, but its more along the lines of 10-30% of our calories should come from protein.

most people on here drink them as meal replacements or to keep them feeling fuller. i dont use it every day, but I do 'bodybuild' and intake a whey protein drink right after my workouts as that is the optimal time to intake fast acting protein for muscle growth (within 30 mins of workout). plus i'm a vegetarian and that is the easiest way for me to intake protein
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if you're doing a lot of strength training you may consider it for buiding your muscle quicker, i usually go over in a day just by eating so i only use protein occasionally as a meal replacement and to change my diet up occasionally. You can find decent tasting ones, but i like to blend them with a cup of fruit and a little juice or milk. I like Muscle Milk Vanilla, and i've tasted some really terrible/chalky ones too, it's just a personal preference.. definitely not necessary though :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I am vegan so in my case it helps me reach my daily requirements. I also feel it helps me recover after workouts and keeps me fuller longer so I stay on track with eating right.

If you get enough through food though there is no reason to feel you must start taking it.