Weight lifting lady

Options
bprague
bprague Posts: 564 Member
I'm not gonna lie, I'm looking for some people to tell me I look awesome. It has been a crappy couple of weeks for me, so kindly build this girl up :/

Anyway, I run when I'm not injured and lift heavy. This is how I am looking these days at 145lbs, some 15 lbs heavier than when I started (not exactly the goal weight I was looking for, but I'll deal with it). I'm trying to transition from a 20lb bicep curl to a 25, but I have been struggling with the change. Why do they never have transitional weights? Anyone have any ideas for moving up?

IMG_01161-2.jpg

Replies

• ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Looking awesome! Nice abs! :drinker:
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    um I'm going to try Jamie Eason's 12 week program.

You look awesome by the way! :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i have been struggling too..i dont even do dumbell curls anymore..i can maybe curl 25 lbs 2 times..20 is pretty easy for me..but i understand what you are saying..but remember biceps are pretty small muscles. the best way to increase your strength in small muscles is to change your routine. currently my bicep routine is thus... cable rope hammer curls, ez bar curls, reverse grip cable curl (the straight bar), and pull ups.
    if you dont want to give up the dumbell curls, then try more isolation curls..either hammer curls or true bicep curls (you place the weights palm out by your side and just curl straight up) its harder to do than if you do it with twist. those two isolate the different heads of the biceps.

also you can try to change up the order of your exercises, change up the reps and sets, maybe try some drop sets..and always remember to rest up plenty..resting is when we grow and get stronger.
  • brandonrdn
    Options
    Wow. You look great! As far as the transition there are multiple ways to go about it. What I've been doing lately is "ripping" as well as pyramids. Not sure if it'll help you, but ripping is essentially ripping weight off as you do your sets. So you would start at 20 lbs, go down to 15, then 10, then 5, doing as many reps as you can at each weight. Pyramids would go 5,10,15,20,15,10,5. Again doing as many reps as you can for each weight. I've been switching between the two and feel I get a better workout by doing this than the normal 10-12 reps. Hope I helped. You can add me if you need some motivation :)

Edit: I agree with xraychick. Switching up your routine is a great thing to do
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wow.....you look marvelous. Congratulations!!!!
  • bprague
    Options
    I didn't mean to give the impression that that is the only thing I do for biceps! My goodness, no! I do a whole host of well... everything. I just can't seem to get passed the 20lb mark for a straight up bicep curl.
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    you really do look awesome.

i just started really making an effort at weight training. i am still using dumbbells, the highest is 12 lbs now. i wish i could use dumbbells forever. i hate the gym.

do you life with a barbell? how often do you increase the weight?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Nice job!

I'm stuck at 20 too! I try to do 25 for the first set, as many as I can (I think I'm up to 5 now), then switch back down to 20s for the next two sets.
  • rgrichard
    Options
    Hey!
    first off, who's saying you don't look good? based on your pic, you look great!
    Second, the number on the scale means nothing. Go by how you look, if you work out, you will gain weight, but be healthier than some 120lbs girl. A higher BMI is not a bad thing, waist circumference makes more sense in cases with muscle.
    third, if your gym offers no transition weights, do as many as you can with the 25lb weight, and do more sets. You will get longer sets in no time!
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love your midsection. Keep up the good work! :)
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    You look super amazing!!!! Even for being above your "goal weight" you look strong and healthy, which (in my opinion) is way better than just being skinny.

I'm also stuck at 20 pound bicep curls. I'm kind of scared to move up, actually, lol. But I have seen 22.5 pound weights at my gym, I think they keep them stored though, as they are not usually on the regular racks. Maybe ask a trainer/gym employee if they have anything like that somewhere else?

Lots of other good suggestions on here, too!

Keep up the great work! I may have to use you as my own inspiration!!!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Your abs are so gorgeous! They look like what I have in mind as my goal abs!!
  • chicklidell
    Options
    you really do look awesome.

i just started really making an effort at weight training. i am still using dumbbells, the highest is 12 lbs now. i wish i could use dumbbells forever. i hate the gym.

do you life with a barbell? how often do you increase the weight?

I do barbell curls with a 75lb EZ bar....I increase the weight as soon as 8 reps is easy..up it goes...but like every workout, I have times where I work at 4-6 rep range, for strength, then at 8-12 rep for muscle definition and 15++ for endurance...you need to be working at most levels...The biggest problem with bicep curls, is almost everyone in the gym does them wrong! they use their shoulders way to much and lean back...suggestion for going up in weight, if you can complete 8 curls at your weight right now, back up against a wall...this FORCES you to do the exercise with correct form then you're ready to move up...Idon't see too many women in our gym that can properly lift 25lbs, they get it up,,,but they're working everything but there biceps.
  • bprague
    Options
    Let's see... I increase my weight when I am able to complete 8 reps without losing form. I don't often lift biceps with a bar (I want to make sure I'm lifting evenly), but it would make sense for moving up.

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You look great! I had to DECREASE to 15lbs because my left arm is a ***** and I need to increase strength there so I can move on. It's looking like this is gonna be a long process :(
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    take a week off! My trainer told me when you really start to struggle you need to take a good break from it and start again. Because your muscles stop working effectively when you push them hard
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I've read that you can increase bicep strength from pullups/chin ups. If you don't have that one down yet, it might be a new goal! Its definitely mine!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!