Ready to cry

Options
So, I worked my *kitten* off this week. Worked out more than I have in a very long time...cardio stuff and Jillian's 30 day shred. I have stayed at or slightly under my calories all week - and for the majority (if not all) they were "quality" calories...from what I can tell.

I logged EVERY BITE that went into my mouth this week. Then I weighed in this morning. I GAINED 1.5 pounds. I'm going to go cry now.:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Don't cry! :flowerforyou: There are a lot of reasons that could have happened. TOM, water retention, sore muscles, I could go on. Just keep doing what you're doing, keep your head up & move forward. It isn't ALL about the number on the scale...as much as that's difficult to hear. You will reach your goal, just keep going forward.
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    Weight loss is on a grander scale than calorie count for a week, you need to keep it up for, well, ever.

I find also, (sorry guys) that one's menstrual cycle plays a huge role in one's weight. If you are close to getting your period you can gain like 1-2, even 3 pds that will go away after you get it.

Don't fret the scale too much, especially for a pd or two. I admit it hurts a little every time I get on and it goes up a number or two, but it isn't significant and it doesn't mean you aren't losing weight.

Keep up the good work and try not to get discouraged. If you are exercising and eating well, there is no reason for you not to lose weight.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hickory, listen to 3BB and CD1986... there are about 100 reasons that could have given you that reading on the scale. I know that when I commited to losing the last of my desired weight 2 months ago, i fluctuated within 2 lbs for the first 6 weeks ( I even did a sprint Triathlon and gained the next day!).. then, two weeks ago, I started to slim down. The poundage isn't dropping significantly, but it is dropping at a steady rate... the difference is in my clothes! Back in my skinn(ier) jeans and I can see my body adjusting (tightening up).

Trust in the commitment, trust in yourself!

Ileana
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the number on the scale. I did the same thing last week, worked out harder than ever, logged every meal, drank the right amount of water, ect, ect. Well, I gained 5 lbs! That just goes to show you that the scale isn't everything. Focus just on being healthy & then once every few weeks take your measurements. It will be far more rewarding!
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Give it some time and then weight yourself. See how your clothes fit. If they are looser, then you are on the right track!

Keep it up, don't stop. Hard work pays off.

210557.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Just keep reminding yourself that this is not about what happens in a single week. It's what is going to happen over the course of your lifetime. As much as we do all the right things, sometimes our bodies are just going to do what it wants. I was faithful to my diet, I'm eating most of my exercise calories, worked out faithfully, and only lost a pound, and that was the pound I gained last week when I did the same exact things! But you know what.....In 12 months, when I have all my extra weight off and I'm at my goal, these past two weeks won't have matter one iota! It's just part of the journey.

Try to focus on the good things you are doing for yourself and the final end result...not just a marker at the end of one week. You can do it! We'll do it together! Have a great week!! (and if none of this helps....stomp the crap out of your scale. You may have to buy a new one, but it may make you feel a bit better! :laugh: :laugh: )
  • brainey100
    brainey100 Posts: 27
    Options
    Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. Your weight can fluctuate due to any number of reasons. Don't just use the scale to monitor your progress. Take pictures every thirty days or so and take measurements of different parts of your body for comparison. But most importantly, focus on being healthy and great things will happen. To heck with the scale. Keep it up.
  • hickory
    hickory Posts: 42
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's encouragement, and I won't give up. But, I'm just having a hard time understanding how if I can't count on my weekly weigh ins - then how can I be convinced that I'll ever actually lose anything? I mean - oh well, I gained 1.5 pounds this week - next week maybe lose it - the next week gain it back - so I'm really getting nowhere...you know?

I know...I'm just down right now. I'll try to snap out of it.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    oh...I wish we could all learn to not rely on the scale so much!!! tape measures would be so much better...or just how you feel in your clothes!!!
    scales are unpredictable, as well as many things could be going on in your body.
    The same thing happened to me...and I'm determined not to weigh in as often. every couple weeks MAYBE...it's just not worth the ups and downs!!!
    hang in there!!!

cindy
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Stop crying, and read this:

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

A little good science to explain that the scale is a dirty dog liar.

:flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating?

I did not lose on a diet of 1200 calories a day. After about 3 weeks (and only 5lbs lost at most) I upped my calories to 1400. It worked like a charm!!! Now I'm losing weight consistantly.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It'll be fine. I gained back my two pounds that I lost at the beginning of doing this...but I've lost 2 inches off my waist and hips. I'm gaining muscle mass....which is much better than fat, hehe.
  • brraymonda
    brraymonda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey --

My daughter got gastric around 2003 lost over 125 pounds. She had a dietician, dr's and a great support team. They all told her not to rely on the scale too much--though she still weighed herself every day.

Anyway, they were right. While weighing in is important to gage progress, it is not the only meter!! How do you feel--when you stop crying--don't you feel a little better physically. I know I do . Try not to let the frustration keep you down. Who knows why you might of gained. Next week you may loose that 1.5 and an extra 1.5.

Back to my daughter the "scale freak". She has kept the weight off through hard work. But that has not always been the case. She is down to 165 from 300 right now. But last winter she got back up to close to 180 and she was freaking. But the point I am trying to make is DONT GIVE UP!! Just keep on trying. Keep your diaries, keep exercising. She lost sight of that for a while as we all do 'cause were human. But we can also perservere 'cause we're human too.

Best of luck!!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Did you lose inches?

Start measuring yourself. I haven't lost in 3 weeks (:sad: ) but I'm losing inches and fit into sizes yesterday when shopping I never thought possible (:love: )
  • muscles007
    Options
    Hi Good Morning. I totally understand how you feel with the "wanting to cry" part. In March, I started a Biggest Loser Challenge in my department @ work. I've lost 20 something pounds since mid-march. I've lost at every weigh-in, and today is the finale, final weigh-in. I worked out during the week and weekend to the point of being sick on Saturday, I even hit the track yesterday. I am retaining water weight right now . I am bummed too, but trying to keep my chin up.
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    When you first start exercising intensely your muscles hold onto water. It has to do with repair and recovery. After a week or two of increased activity they will become more adapted and you will release that water. I just started exercising pretty intensely for the first time in quite a while (ie at the gym six days a week instead of just doing a lot of walking) and was feeling pretty discouraged with my weigh-in last week. Today I stepped on the scale, and even with a couple days of going over on my calories (not by a lot, but still), I had lost three pounds.

So like everyone else has said, don't worry about it this week. Just keep doing what you're doing and the scale will catch up with you soon.
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    This could have been MY post today too! Everyone is right, of course, and reading all the responses has helped keep ME from crying as well. I didn't gain, thankfully, although "Flo" showed up, univited as usual (such a b****!). Sooooo, I'm hoping that once she packs her bags and leaves, maybe I'll see a decrease. I've been at the same weight for about 3 weeks and I started a Boot Camp last week. My eating habits are almost picture perfect, although I have my overs and unders (more unders) on my 1210 calories per day. Maybe I should try increasing them to 1400 for this week and see what happens. I know I'm doing good; I feel great and my clothes are getting looser - it's just that damn scale!!! :noway:
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the number on your scale as much as your inches and how your clothes fit.

It could be your retaining water, Maybe a little too much salt, your muscles could be swollen from your workout...... or maybe a dozen different reasons. Just keep at it with your head up. Good Luck!!!:wink:
  • hickory
    hickory Posts: 42
    Options
    So...I'm also STARVING today - first time all week I've actually been hungry. Strange...

Anyway...I'm wondering how eating MORE calories (1400) as suggested earlier could help me lose weight?! I don't get that one.

I haven't measured before this - but I did this morning...so I'll see how my progress goes there.

Maybe, if I provide my stats you all can give me some even more specific pointers for me...by the way I LOVE it here - you've made me feel a LOT better already.

So:

I am 5 feet tall exactly and small boned
    I weight 147.5 pounds as of this morning.
    My goal is to get to 105 pounds - as that is what I weighed when I got pregnant with baby #3.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    So...I'm also STARVING today - first time all week I've actually been hungry. Strange...

Anyway...I'm wondering how eating MORE calories (1400) as suggested earlier could help me lose weight?! I don't get that one.

That's a good thing that you're hungry. It means your metabolism is improving!

So you're doing everything right; take measurements and photos. I lost only 3 pounds in my first 30 days and about the same weight and height as you are right now. The photo showed huge changes though; no one could believe I had only lost 3 pounds.

I always take photos when I end up "gaining" and they always tell a different story! My ticker below shows a 6 pound difference.