Quick Question...Kettlebells vs Weights

Options
I'm headed to Wal-Mart within the next 30 minutes to pick up either some 3lb hand weights or a Kettlebell with DVD instructions.

I know most people will grit their teeth about shopping for fitness supplies in Wal-Mart but I'm on a budget (and it's a good way to reach my step goal for the night).

Which do you prefer? I don't have a lot of room to work out, maybe like a 4ft by 1ft space (at the most) in my bedroom so all the quick twists and bends and lunges won't work for me much.

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    bumb...anyone?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I think Kettlebells are more versitile than dumb bells. See if you can afford some heavier weights, because the 3lbs might not make the difference a 10lb Kettlebell would. I think Walmart actually sells adjustable weight Kettlebells. They may be more expensive initially, but overall you'll get a better deal....depending on financial situation (we've all been there).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If the option is 3lb dbs or a KB. The answer is KB x a gazillion.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't think 3 lb dumbbells are worth it. Most beginners should be able to at least lift 5lbs!
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Kettleballs are the ****! I love the kettleball workouts with crossfit!. U can use regular dumb bells the same way as a kettleball so both are good.
  • alipasquarello
    Options
    I would recommend either the Jillian Michael's adjustable kettle ball or her set of 3, 5, and 8 lb weights. They're reasonably priced at walmart and very versatile! :)
  • BetteLovr
    BetteLovr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have 7 lb kettlebells and am a beginner .. I THInk its enough to start... they are at Target too
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would recommend either the Jillian Michael's adjustable kettle ball or her set of 3, 5, and 8 lb weights. They're reasonably priced at walmart and very versatile! :)

wow, didn't know they made them that small.

I would recommend women start with a 18lb KB. Guys 35lb.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

Absolutely no offence intended here, but what the hell is the point of a 3lb KB?? You might as well grab a bottle of water. Get something at least 10lbs - you are better off doing less reps with a decent weight than outgrowing it in 1 day!
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    So I drove all the way to Wal-Mart only to find out the one I went to had a complete lack of fitness equipment (this is what I get for not going to the closer one). I did remember seeing Jillian's set at my neighborhood Wal-Mart as well as another one that was like 5lbs with a DVD and instruction guide. I didn't get neither of the two (weights or kettlebells) because of the limited choice I had. I'll go out again tomorrow to see if I can find something worthy.

Btw, I can handle about 8lbs of hand weights, actually more likely the 10lb ones, just said 3lbs because they are only $3 each (go figure).
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm headed to Wal-Mart within the next 30 minutes to pick up either some 3lb hand weights or a Kettlebell with DVD instructions.

I know most people will grit their teeth about shopping for fitness supplies in Wal-Mart but I'm on a budget (and it's a good way to reach my step goal for the night).

Which do you prefer? I don't have a lot of room to work out, maybe like a 4ft by 1ft space (at the most) in my bedroom so all the quick twists and bends and lunges won't work for me much.

I have a 5lb kettle bell with a dvd (The Firm) it's pretty awesome!!!
  • snowkid03
    Options
    play it again sports or any used sports shop usually has weights for a lot cheaper... and look on craigslist! i got a whole set free :)
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

I have a 5lb kettle bell with a dvd (The Firm) it's pretty awesome!!!

The one I saw was Danskin
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE kettlebells! I'd definitely buy them over the weights.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    Round 2 of the Wal-Mart Fitness adventure lol

I'm really thinking of get Jillin's kettle bell set but people are saying it's not good. I'm going to look for The Firm workouts and see if I can find them.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Kettle Bells ...you can do so much more with them!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Check the Salvation Army, Goodwill or other thrift stores to see if they have weights for sale or even a garage sale. If you can't find none at either location, then try Academy. Their cast iron weights tend to be cheaper than Walmart Weights.

You can even try Ross, to see if they have 3lb walking weights. Walmart might even have 3lb or 4lb walking weights. You can even try exercise balls. You can find them in sets. Another place you can try is Marshalls.