Mexican Food

Options
Hi,

I am being treated to an early valentines meal at a local mexican resturant but I am a bit worried about what I am going to eat.

I am on 1200 cals daily and have reached or been just below my cal allowance all week.

I am also on my week of nightshift (friday is night off) so havent been able to do usual fitness plan, just a 30 min moderate walk with Dog.

I plan to do a 50 min workout when get home but dont want to do too much as am pretty shattered from lack of sleep.

Any suggestions on what to eat or what to avoid on the menu??

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Its one day, dont worry, enjoy. Then start again the next day.
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    If it were me, I'd skip the chips they put on the table that you end up eating the whole basket of (and then being a bit too full for when your food arrives) XP

Also, a lot of mexican food seems to come covered with salsa & cheese unless you specifically ask them not to. Skip the extra cheese, go plain - or with salsa.
  • aymarie33
    aymarie33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had the tortilla soup the other day and it wasn't that bad. I can't remember the calories off the top of my head but it wasn't horrible. I am on 1200 as well and stayed under that day!
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My go-to Mexican is Tacos al Carbon. I order them with chicken and in corn tortillas instead of flour. It's usually the lowest calories item on the menu. I enjoy the beans and leave the rice behind. The biggest thing to watch out for is the chips and salsa.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The fresh salsa is actually better than any cheese sauce or other dipping sauce. the chips are a very bad idea. Try having a salad appetizer, and maybe 1-2 enchiladas for dinner, and don't get rice on the side. get a small salad on the side. Give a little, take a little.

Or don't order an appetizer. That's where the heavy cals start because the chips are super fried.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My go-to Mexican is Tacos al Carbon. I order them with chicken and in corn tortillas instead of flour. It's usually the lowest calories item on the menu. I enjoy the beans and leave the rice behind. The biggest thing to watch out for is the chips and salsa.

^^^agree
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are usually are good bet! You can skip the tortillas get extra veggies and you can usually swap out rice and beans for a salad :).
  • KellyMo1983
    Options
    I would ask them to hold the cheese and sour cream!! Don't eat one chip because if you're like me then they come around asking if you need another one!
  • marthamoo7
    Options
    I would not eat the chips, and then order something with less oil and cheese. I've gotten veggie fajitas with corn tortillas and put salsa on them, and it was delicious and actually pretty healthy. Good luck, and if you go over don't worry, it's only one day. :)
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I always get one of two things...

1. Chicken Fajitas - no tortilla, no cheese, no skillet and no sour cream (basically just the skillet and the salad) or
    2. Chicken Salad - no shell, no refried beans, no cheese, no sour cream

Ok, yes, the people at the mexican restaurant I go to all of the time think I'm crazy as they laugh at me, but it covers my obsession for mexican food without going over cals!
  • nikolabird
    nikolabird Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice,

I am especially liking the "its only one day" tips lol from michelle and marthamoo.

Will enjoy and avoid tortilla chips and extra cheese.

Thanks again everyone
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am being treated to an early valentines meal at a local mexican resturant but I am a bit worried about what I am going to eat.

I am on 1200 cals daily and have reached or been just below my cal allowance all week.

I am also on my week of nightshift (friday is night off) so havent been able to do usual fitness plan, just a 30 min moderate walk with Dog.

I plan to do a 50 min workout when get home but dont want to do too much as am pretty shattered from lack of sleep.

Any suggestions on what to eat or what to avoid on the menu??

Thanks for your help.

Chips and salsa are a killer, be aware...
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Don't be shy with the beans! They may be high in sodium (but you can expect that with all the food).

Honestly, I would suggest a white meat chicken entree with salsa verde and beans, salad, and a corn tortilla. Veggies, lean meat, fiber, it's pretty balanced.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    chips and salsa its been said try and stay away other then that its one day enjoy

trust me my 7yr wedding anniversary is on valentines day we go to our usual place for Chinese, its one day im just going to pick healthy choices stay away from high carb and high sodium and enjoy its always a new day tomorrow =)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Its one day, dont worry, enjoy. Then start again the next day.
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    Either go and enjoy or cancel.
    Life is to be lived.
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    to me, at least, if there is one thing worth going over calories for, it would most definitely be Mexican food. lol
  • nikolabird
    Options
    I couldnt agree more.

My absolute favourite and being from the UK there isnt that many Mexican places around unless your in London or a City.

Having one so close to where I live, it would be rude not to go there.

Life is defo for living. You only get one life so enjoy xx
  • nikolabird
    Options
    Happy soon the be 7th wedding anniversary Tnoire, have fun.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Skip the tortilla, sour cream, and cheese. I don't know where you are going, but I like to get salad with lots of lettuce, meat, fresh salsa, onions, bell peppers, etc.. Great thing about Mexican is you can get a ton of flavor and fill without the calorific carbs.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Happy soon the be 7th wedding anniversary Tnoire, have fun.

Thanks!!! :flowerforyou: