MFP Sodium Goals.... Are they right?

Options
I'm not an expert. I've been working with a nutritionist and I know everyone has opinions on everything. One of the things I like about this site. But, MFP says my daily goal for sodium is 2,500 mg!!! That cannot possibly be right. That's insane. If it is right, why would it be so high? I'm not a big fan of salt. I avoid it, but now I'm curious why the high goal number. Do I need more salt than what just comes naturally in food. I don't eat processed food... too salty; and I don't add salt to my food. Do I need to? Please say no.

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As someone over 40 (I believe is the magic number) you should be aiming to keep under 1500mg a day

ETA: The magic number is 51, per the Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    the Canadian guidelines for a women in her 20s is 1500mg-2300mg a day (the lower and upper limit).
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would just look up your country's guidelines for your gender and age!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    MFP's goal is too high. For most people, 1500-2300 mg is the recommended amount.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a mineral needed in small amounts by the body. The normal diet contains abundant amounts of sodium. Most sodium is consumed in the form of sodium chloride which is commonly known as salt.

Sodium has been linked with a number of health conditions including osteoporosis, kidney stones and fluid retention, but it’ s detrimental effect on blood pressure is of greatest concern.

The recommended dietary intake (RDI) for Sodium is between 920 and 2300 mg per day for all ages.

Source: http://www.simplot.com.au/health-nutrition.asp?pgID=242
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think its a "don't go over this number" type of goal.

"The current Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend a maximum of 2,300 milligrams (about a teaspoon of salt) for people over age 2, but only 1,500 milligrams for the 70 percent of adults at high risk of sodium-induced illness: people older than 50, all African-Americans, and everyone with high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease."

from this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/health/high-sodium-to-potassium-ratio-in-diet-is-a-major-heart-risk.html?_r=1
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are hypertensive or otherwise tend to retain a lot of water.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with salt. Obviously if someone consumes mostly processed foods and is grossly overweight and sedentary and has blood pressure issues, sure, but that is more lifestyle than salt consumption. Eating too little salt has some pretty serious ill effects as well, where a persons salt reserves would also be low and any major exercising session and drinking lots of water can dilute those already low reserves and create serious health issues like hyponatremia which is an elctrolyte issue. Personally I think salt as evil is a red herring.

This is a pretty comprehesive NHANES III study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518033/
  • sco8462
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information. I'll definitely read the links you all sent. I don't think salt is evil, I just don't care for a lot of salt. I was worried that I should start adding it since my sodium intake according to MFP is significantly below the goal number. I'll read up and figure it out.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The key word here is "goal". It is not a requirement. Goals can also be changed on MFP so you can customize your diet to better suit your needs. Generally, only people with low BP (my daughter being one) have to worry about low sodium. Potassium and sodium cancel each other out so I make my focus just to get enough of each. But again, this is your diet. You get to decide what you eat.
  • veg1200
    Options
    You're actually supposed to get most of your sodium from veggies, not table salt, so just eat a ton of veggies and you'll get the good kind of sodium
  • tjr61
    tjr61 Posts: 3
    Options
    NO!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    The human body does not actually NEED sodium at all, we make our own, and if I remember right, it's enough on its own that we shouldn't need more. Some people I'm sure do though because of health conditions. You really don't need to be worrying about getting enough though, you should be worried about getting too much sodium. :heart:
  • samhelen
    Options
    Nothing wrong with salt. Obviously if someone consumes mostly processed foods and is grossly overweight and sedentary and has blood pressure issues, sure, but that is more lifestyle than salt consumption. Eating too little salt has some pretty serious ill effects as well, where a persons salt reserves would also be low and any major exercising session and drinking lots of water can dilute those already low reserves and create serious health issues like hyponatremia which is an elctrolyte issue. Personally I think salt as evil is a red herring.

This is a pretty comprehesive NHANES III study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518033/

I was wondering what their exercise goals were -- wonder if MFP has the sodium levels tied to actual exercise levels -- I know I naturally sweat a lot, and when I exercise I sweat even more and salt is a necessary evil either through adding some to my food or via a gatorade style drink to keep electrolytes balanced.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The human body does not actually NEED sodium at all, we make our own, and if I remember right, it's enough on its own that we shouldn't need more. Some people I'm sure do though because of health conditions. You really don't need to be worrying about getting enough though, you should be worried about getting too much sodium. :heart:

This is horribly inaccurate.

Na is a mineral and acts chiefly as an electrolyte within the body. It determines where water does and doesn't go. Our kidneys do a great job of keeping the amount of sodium we need but you ate always going to be losing some in urine, sweat, etc and it has to be replaced by intake. It can not be manufactured in the body.

This is why people with hypertension usually are placed on a diuretic drug (water pill) that blocks Na resorbtiom to some degree in the body causing a net loss of fluid to lower blood pressure.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    2500mg of sodium is the max suggested for any adult to consume, i don't think it is there as a goal to try to meet. Too much sodium is very hard on your heart and can cause high blood pressure. Don't try to get to 2500, just don't exceed it.
  • MJ_1986
    Options
    As others have said, I would aim for 2,000 mg, unless you have high blood pressure. If so, I would try for 1,500 mg. I don't think everyone with high blood pressure is affected by sodium, but most are. I find it hard to stay under 2,000 mg, but I try the best I can. Basically, if it's in a can or frozen, it's loaded with sodium.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

This is horribly inaccurate.

Na is a mineral and acts chiefly as an electrolyte within the body. It determines where water does and doesn't go. Our kidneys do a great job of keeping the amount of sodium we need but you ate always going to be losing some in urine, sweat, etc and it has to be replaced by intake. It can not be manufactured in the body.

This is why people with hypertension usually are placed on a diuretic drug (water pill) that blocks Na resorbtiom to some degree in the body causing a net loss of fluid to lower blood pressure.

Oh thank you, I must have misunderstood what I read. :blushing: I think I read on the same site (mayoclinic I think) that the average person only needs something like 200-500mg of sodium a day. I'm glad you posted this though, because I've been thinking I didn't need to have any at all in my diet. Not that I'm even able to cut it out completely, but still. Thank you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Aussie guidelines suggest 1500mg a day, so I've changed my goals to reflect this.