Post Workout Recovery Help!

Options
Hi! I'm getting back into working out regularly and now I'm very sore! Any tips on how to make the soreness go away quickly or speed up recovery in a healthy way? Any and all tips are appreciated! :)

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Plenty of water and a good diet.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    There is no real way to speed it up. You are sore because exercise creates microscopic muscle tears (this sounds bad but it is a good thing!). This is what causes your muscles to become stronger! To make it more bearable, I would rest, hot tub or hot bath, ibuprofen, and drink water.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    There is no real way to speed it up. You are sore because exercise creates microscopic muscle tears (this sounds bad but it is a good thing!). This is what causes your muscles to become stronger! To make it more bearable, I would rest, hot tub or hot bath, ibuprofen, and drink water.
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    It just takes time.
    Rest between workouts is just as important as the actual workouts.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    also, chocolate milk.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm getting back into working out regularly and now I'm very sore! Any tips on how to make the soreness go away quickly or speed up recovery in a healthy way? Any and all tips are appreciated! :)

This may sound nuts, but I find that gonig for a long walk helps. It hurts at first, but it helps loosen up my legs and ease the soreness.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yeah, you need that cooldown, definitely.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like to walk after a workout to help bring my heart rate down nice and slow, and then i stretch for a good ten minutes.

you know the saying "if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to drink at the bar?" well, i feel that if you don't have time to warm up and cool down, you don't have time to work out.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Stay away from pain killers (tylenol, ibprophen...or oxycodone lol) unless the pain is unbearable and interfering with your daily life. There were several studies that came out a few years ago that taking ibprophen a day after working out can actually inhibit recovery time. Now not saying taking it every now and then is bad, because lord knows I need some after an intense leg day just so I'm not walking funny the next day, but you shouldn't make it a daily habit.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The best thing for soreness is easy movement: walking, swimming, easy stretching. Like someone else said, you can't speed up the healing, so being sedentary will just make you stiff. Seriously. When I am really sore I just go for a slow walk, get the blood flowing. Good thing is that it will go away in a few days!
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! That all definitely helps. :)
  • decoboy104
    Options
    Actually there is something you can do to aid with recovery, body builders have been doing it for years. Load up on protein this is what your body is looking for to feed your mussels. Also amino acids "BCAA" will aid in getting more protein into your mussels. Get your self some form of Whey and some BCAA amino acid, also a good multi vitamin will help. Don't nap after a work out. The soreness you feel is lactic acids building up in your mussels, Stretch and massage will also help with blood flow.

I load up on protein 1.2g for every lb of LEAN body mass ( key word is LEAN BODY MASS)

I won't name products but i'll tell you what they are...

Morning:
    Slow release protein shake
    multi vitamin
    4000 IU of vitamin D3
    Fiber
    fish oil

cardio 30min

Breakfast:
    Six egg whites
    glass skim milk

Caffeine based stimulant
    BCAA
    Weight training 1hr

Fast acting protein shake 50g-60g of protein (Between 15-30min after work out (there is a small window to get the most out of protein)

lunch:
    egg whites and tuna

dinner:
    chicken, vegetables, brown rice...
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    also, chocolate milk.
    This is no joke ^^^. Lowfat chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks you can have. And $ for $, it is definitely the best and best tasting!
  • NikkiP80
    Options
    Magnesium helps me.
  • chadaharvey
    Options
    Your muscles are sore because you're doing well. As long as you do well it will always be sore. Just drink a lot of water. You should drink at least half your body weight in fl. oz. a day. Don't take vitamins, or supplements. Instead if you plan a meal plan right there are plenty of vitamins, mineral, proteins, and carbs in food. People always make the mistake thinking they need to take vitamins, and supplements; when in fact you really dont need to.
  • maximus184
    maximus184 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and glutamine powder helps you recover
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    also, chocolate milk.
    This is no joke ^^^. Lowfat chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks you can have. And $ for $, it is definitely the best and best tasting!

Science backs it up... It has the perfect combo of carbs, proteins, etc. "They" say it's THE best thing that you can have post-workout. Beyond that... it tastes really good! :blushing: :laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • decoboy104
    Options
    I have to disagree with you the sore feeling you feel is lactic acids in the mussels ask any body builder and you will hear the same thing, after a while you body will be better able to deal with it and produce less and less there for you won't get that soreness feeling any longer in steed you will just get good pumps.

Also the amount of protein you body needs really can not be achieved through diet alone with the intentions of cutting (loosing body fats) your calorie count will be way to high and you will not loose weight. That's not to say that just eating correctly and less calories doesn't work it does. But the op question was about mussel soreness.

A good Multi Vitamin and fish oil has been proven for a long time now for general health. Also there are many proven studies on D3 and weight loss.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with you the sore feeling you feel is lactic acids in the mussels ask any body builder and you will hear the same thing, after a while you body will be better able to deal with it and produce less and less there for you won't get that soreness feeling any longer in steed you will just get good pumps.

Also the amount of protein you body needs really can not be achieved through diet alone with the intentions of cutting (loosing body fats) your calorie count will be way to high and you will not loose weight. That's not to say that just eating correctly and less calories doesn't work it does. But the op question was about mussel soreness.

A good Multi Vitamin and fish oil has been proven for a long time now for general health. Also there are many proven studies on D3 and weight loss.

Lactic acids is an old myth that has been proven false but many people still believe..... Well, mainly because they were raised hearing them. It's the muscle tears and the inflammation that causes the soreness.