C25K with shin pain

Options
So, I started my first day of C25K the other day, but on my first running segment my shins started hurting. Is that normal? Is there anything I can do about it? I've thought about going out and buying some new tennis shoes (my old ones are too loose), I thought that maybe would help, it sure shouldn't hurt.

Replies

• thornbee3
    thornbee3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They are called Shin splints, yes they are normal and hurt like heck! When I was running a lot at the beginning of summer I got them. There is really nothing you can do im told. I just made sure to ice them down when I got back from running. I was dedicated to running so I pushed through the pain and ended up with little bruises. It could be the way you run ( I land on my right foot awkwardly).
  • michglas
    Options
    I got shin splints from Zumba and I am now having to keep it low for a while at Zumba.
  • caylre
    caylre Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks guys!!
  • deex18
    deex18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i used to get them when i was brisk walking and they are so so sore, i just tried to slow down my pace and found the fitter i got they faded away.... good luck with c25km im also doing and it and so is my aunt!!!!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I've only done 4 days od C25K and am in pain. I also do Combat/Pump etc and don't want it slowing me down on other classes. Is it just a newbie thing? Should I ease off until it less sore or push through it? x
  • Cal28
    Options
    Just seen this article: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0171.htm

Exercise Bike Trianing When Injured: The best workout to maintain fitness when you're injured.

If you're a runner and a minor injury prevents you from carrying out your regular running workouts for a couple of days, there's no need to worry: The rest will probably do you some good.

On the other hand, if you miss more than four days of training, your fitness will begin to fall unless you challenge your muscles and cardiac centre in some way (see also Jim Bledsoe, page x). So what's the absolute-best non-running workout to carry out? Should you swim laps in the pool, race down your neighbourhood pavements on roller blades, or lift weights in the gym?

Without a doubt, your best option is to climb aboard an exercise bike. There are simply more scientific studies demonstrating either a main-tenance - or an actual increase - in running fitness associated with using a bike in lieu of regular running workouts, compared with any other exercise device. The stair machine isn't bad either, but we'll have to consign it to second place; the trouble with stairs is that climbing can sometimes aggravate existing injuries like shin splints, knee soreness, and ITB friction syndrome (see page 1). Aquarunning places a quite distant third, primarily because many runners become suicidal at the thought of carrying out water-running workouts for more than a few days at a time.

The best workout to choose
    Which bike workout is the best for maintaining/ increasing fitness? Without a doubt, it's one in which you warm up thoroughly with 10 minutes of easy pedalling - and then embark on intense five-minute intervals, with five-minute recoveries.

How intense should these five-minute work intervals be? Well, your heart rate should increase gradually and steadily to 90 to 95 per cent of maximum during the first two minutes of the five-minute interval - and then remain in that zone for the final three minutes of the interval. Don't forget, though, that your max heart rate on the bike is usually about 10 beats per minute slower than your max while running.

If you want to reckon your max heart rate on the bike fairly accurately, simply warm up with 10 minutes of moderate pedalling, and then pedal as furiously as you can for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Pedal lightly for a minute to recover, and then operate at maximal intensity for another two and a-half minutes. Near the end of this second 150-second burst, you will be damn close to your max heart rate on the bike. Make sure you have a cardiologist standing by when you perform this test, though (just kidding: actually, make sure your doctor gives the OK before you try it).

How many of those five-minute intervals should you do per workout? Start with two your first time out, and don't feel bad if you can only make it through four minutes or so - instead of the full five - on your initial intervals. Hard work on the bike takes some getting used to for most runners.

If you are injured for an extended period of time, you can gradually progress to five of these five-minute intervals per bike session, and you can then begin trimming the recovery intervals, a minute at a time, until you reach two minutes. Just make sure you are recovered enough to finish the full five minutes of each work interval - with your heart rate at 90 to 95 per cent of max for the last three minutes.

A good idea is to keep your pedalling speed at about 90 rpm, even as you get fitter on the bike, because such pedalling mimics the close-to-optimal rate of 90 strides per minute while running. As you get fitter, you will need to increase the bike's resistance in order to keep your heart rate elevated and in the proper (90 to 95 per cent of max) zone. Carrying out this workout twice a week, in conjunction with three other - somewhat more temperate - bike sessions, should be enough to preserve almost all of your running fitness.

But, if your schedule permits, you could magnify your fitness even more with the following workout: After at least a 10-minute warm-up, pedal at close to maximal intensity for one minute, recover with 30 seconds of 'spinning' at 90 rpm against very little resistance and then 60 seconds of easy pedalling (adding up to 90 seconds of recovery in all), and then blast along at very close to max for another minute. Continue this pattern - 60 seconds of maximal effort followed by 30 seconds of spinning and 60 seconds of light pedalling - until you have completed eight nearly all-out one-minute intervals. After a 10-minute cool-down, you're done!

Over time, this workout can be made progressively harder by increasing the number of maximal 60-second repetitions to 15, increasing the resistance on the bike, and paring the recovery intervals to 60 seconds (30 seconds of spinning and 30 seconds of light strokes).

The bottom line? Time away from running doesn't have to automatically lead to a loss of fitness. If you carry out the right workouts on the bike, you'll come back from your injury as strong - or stronger - than ever.

_____

So going to give that a go today instead x
  • Centrifugal
    Options
    I had awful shin splints as well. I mentioned it to a personal trainer I know, and after taking a look at my calves, he said that it was probably caused by having too much muscle on the back and not being balanced out on the front.

I started doing a little bit of strength training with reverse-calf raises, and within three trips there was a noticeable difference when running. I only had to do the workout for about two weeks, and haven't had shin splints since.

I used a machine in the free weights room of my gym, and after about a week (3-4 sessions) added 5, then 10 pounds. The advantage of this machine is that it targets that muscle exactly, and in doing so causes it to adjust to the extra work quickly. Don't do this workout before running though, and make sure to stretch out your legs and calves beforehand. A massage up and down either side of your shin after your cooldown helps prevent after-workout achyness - I had some serious pain after I did mine because the muscle just wasn't used to doing that much work. You might want to try not running at all for a week or two while building up your strength in this region, and doing cardio on a bike as suggested above. I took a break to avoid over-taxing my muscles, and I've never had a problem since.

Best of luck!
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, get new shoes! Preferably get fitted for running shoes by someone who knows what they are talking about. When I started running, I was in a lot of pain, but buying running shoes took away most of it.

Also, do this exercise on the days you don't run. It really helped reduce my soreness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZVq3ov914
  • Cal28
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't buy new shoes (just got my current one as a gift NB 660? Maybe they're not suited for my foot though... :ohwell: ?) as currently job seeking.
    I'll certainly look into reverse calf raises and check out the You Tube video though, Thanks! :smile:
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    And make sure you are not running too fast! Make new runners think they have to hard charge it from the get go. Take you time to warm up, and let your body get used to running. Good Luck.