How to determine "ideal weight"?

Options
Initially, my goal was to lose about 15 pounds. Well, I have lost 10 and now wonder if another 5 is the right amount. So, how can I determine what my ideal weight should be?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor, or consult a BMI chart, although those aren't always accurate they can at least serve as a starting place. My doctor told me I need to stay around the middle to high end of my healthy BMI for height because I have a large build. If you're unhappy with what you see ask yourself if it's a weight issue or a body composition issue-- I have reached my goal weight but I would like to have more muscle and less fat, so I'll be changing my goals to reflect that.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think it is a matter of personal preference, and a little of the BMI chart. Obviously you want to be within a healthy range, but that magic number is going to be one that you get to and are like "wow, I like me". I don't think you will know until you get there, I'd say take pics every 3-5 pounds if you don't have a ton to lose and compare them to see what you like best. :)
  • Markus44
    Options
    Good ideas. Thank you.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Forget the number on the scale altogether and aim for a certain % body fat. That way increases to lean muscle mass will not effect your "ideal" as it would with a scale number.
  • athearenee
    Options
    1st go by what your doctor states is your ideal range...
    aim for that, but more importantly...aim for where you are most comfortable...
    you can be healthy and not fit into and charted ideal
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    your ideal weight is whatever you feel good about on yourself
    you could ask ten different drs and they will probably give you 10 different answers
    when you can look in the mirror and be truly happy with what you see then you will know
    you also have to remember that muscles weighs more so if you want to add some the scales will go up but that isnt a bad thing =D
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavy... If you decide to add muscle or tone up, you might even get heavier. Whatever you feel comfortable in and you feel suits you is what you'll maintain.
  • chadaharvey
    Options
    go to www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

You can view what your weight should be between with your age bracket.

If you convert your weight into Kg., your weight divided by 2.2, then turn your height in Meters squared, and then divide your weight by your height in meters squared, you'll get your BMI. It will give you an estimate where you are in body fat. If you're <18.5 you're under weight. If you're between 18.5-24.9 you're Normal, and you're body fat will be between 8% and 19%. If you're 25-29 you are overweight, and your body fat will be between 20% and 24%. Anything higher you get into the levels of possibly getting diabetes.

Good Luck Man!