Looking for cancer survivors

Options
would love to meet some cancer survivors on this site who are dealing with weight gain from their disease. I am a breast cancer survivor...been surviving over 8 years now, thank the Lord!!! I have really been through the ringer though. The cancer has spread to ovary, lung, brain, bone and now chest. I need to control my weight gain because I had a stroke in 06 and taking the medication for that caused alot of weight gain. I became a diabetic, sugar level was over 550. Since I have lost the weight I am Not a diabetic. This is my motivation. I will not let this happen to me again. There is so much more to say, but for now I will keep it small and just say: I need you to be my Pal. Thanks. :smile: :smile:

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    While I have not personally had cancer I feel like a family survivor because my sister has survived breast cancer as has my sister-n-law. My brother is the late day stage of pancreatic cancer.

I am so sure you will find the support you want and need on MFP. I love this group and believe you will to. My best wishes to you in your journey.
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    I had cancer in my left thigh when I was a senior in high school, ( about 5 years ago) I never got chemo or radiation because it was luckily all contained to one area, but I was still pretty sick from it..Since then I've put on about 40 ish pounds and I just became extremely lazy & began to hate how I looked everyday. This past year has been extremely rough on me, and I think that's what finally motivated me to kick my butt in gear and get back in shape.
    Feel free to add, I know how your feeling and I'm sure you'll find the motivation you need here at MFP
    :)
  • yeauger
    Options
    In my eyes you are in this with the rest of us!! I guess I meant to say survivors and family!! sorry, no offense to you at all. appreciate your kind words. Make sure you take care of YOU!! Listen to your body, and be sure to get your yearly exams!! God bless!
  • yeauger
    Options
    Wow, you were young. Never head of cancer in the thigh...it great to hear that it was contained to just that area. I added you as a friend, so now we are pals!! take care, and good luck!!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a survivor, but my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer when I was 14, I am now turning 19 and she is downstairs :P! I love my mom so much! I know how hard it is to go through tough times like that, and my mom has also gained a lot of weight since she got sick... mainly from being so tired and lethargic from all the medicine she gets. Especially the numbness she gets in her feet, that's what gets her and she can't stay on her feet long... I know it'll only get worse if she doesn't do anything about her weight and I keep telling her to check into this site and to just take daily walks (she's on disability)... but she doesn't take my advice, I'm not mean on her eating habits because she hardly has an appetite, but her activity level is literally sitting in a chair all day and napping all the time, I just feel bad and want to help her... I hope she will look on this site, I know she'd be happier if she did.
  • afyfe99
    afyfe99 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been surviving leukemia for 4 years now. My cancer diagnosis is what actually kicked my butt into gear to finally get off the weight. In the last 18 months I have started having more complications and packed the weight back on. Struggling to get it back off...again.