eat4health by the NHS

Options
Hi all,

Is anyone done the "eath4health" program run by the NHS at locals’ leisure centres?
I started this program 3 weeks ago, we meet once a week; it is 45mins talk and 30mins exercises, a bit like Rosemary Conley.
They don't give you a diet to follow but rather talk to you about reading food labels etc.
It is more a life style change, how to choose alternatives foods that are less fatty and better for you...
Weigh in every week but the lady never says anything negative just encourage you... I like it.

I tried Rosemary Conley and Weight Watchers; I prefer eat4health, it is less intimidating, they are not trying to sell you anything but rather help you in your weight loss journey.
It is £3.70/week, they also have a walk in session once a week free where you do the same thing; never been to a walk in one.
It is a 10 weeks program but you can re-enrol how much as you want...

Please let me know if you are following this program, we can motivate each other and compare notes as each centre might run differently.

Laly

Replies

• Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's not available in my area :( when I started out my Dr just told me to join weight watchers and gave me xenical. I never went as I couldn't afford it but lukily found here and the rest is history :)
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting but I have never heard of it here in the States. I hope you find others here that are doing it but seems if not, you are doing a great job already!

Lifestyle change is all what its about! Motivational group meetings are great too! Sounds like they have a lot of good educational info for you too.
  • jenfurmcmonkey
    jenfurmcmonkey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Its not the same programme but my PCT run a weight management programme.
    For BMI over 35with co-morbidities eg diabetes

Its a 2 year programme
    12wks of weekly
    then monthly

Involves a 1.5hr talk/groups session, and then an exercise class for an hour. The first 3weeks are with a physio and its only a hlaf hour talk and then 1hr exercise. It is then dietician, psychology, emotional issues etc and the exercise is then voluntary. So Its a 2.5hr commitment to sign up to the exercise plus the class.

Im being allowed time out of work to go, but I'll have to go to an evening exercise group.

As part of the pathway there is a discussion with a consultant if you want to be considered for bariatric surgery. I'm open minded on this part - but it is an option.

Im really greatful they offer this opportunity, and they also work closely with the eating disorder service and have referred me to that team for assessment and treatment.
  • EulalieOwona
    EulalieOwona Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi jenfurmcmonke,

Your programme sounds great; 2years is excellent for people lot of weight to loose.

I had a gastric band surgery years ago in France (I am a French national), but it did not work for me; got some complications so got it removed and I did not want to try another one. In the other hand my sister had the same and lost lots of weight and still has 5 years after... so it is a good pathway to some.

My programme only runs for 10 weeks, I did check in my PCT after reading your message, but they don't have anything like this here (Reading).

Let me know how it works for you, I have about the same amount of weight to lose; we can encourage and motivate each other.

If you don't mind I'll add you as my friend.

Laly
  • EulalieOwona
    Options
    Hi velvetkat,

Wow, 100lbs lost that's amazing;
    How did you do that?
    You look great, well done!

Thanks for the encouragement

Laly
  • EulalieOwona
    Options
    It's not available in my area :( when I started out my Dr just told me to join weight watchers and gave me xenical. I never went as I couldn't afford it but lukily found here and the rest is history :)

Hi Clarecbear82,

How are you finding Xenical?
    My GPs won't prescribe it but i was tempted to try "Alli" which is similar to Xenical, did you get results with it?

And I agree this website is great, lots of support; only discovered it a few days ago.
  • jenfurmcmonkey
    jenfurmcmonkey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I also take Xenical.
    I only get side effects if I over eart fats.
    Which is great because I then binge on carbs!!!! no side effects, but still dont loose weight!
    I think my GP thinks fat people eat fat all day long!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I took Xenical once too, and had the same effect. I didn't get any side effects, because I was already eating a pretty low fat diet. I could still eat bacon sandwiches on it.. which really wasn't the idea. I think it buys into the old idea that eating fat makes people fat, rather than the new(ish) idea that carbs are more easily stored as fat by the body.
  • Meiplé
    Options
    i haven't heard of anything like this is my area but i'll google it. seems like it would be helpful
  • katcj
    katcj Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi - I hadn't heard of anything around here like that, although I know our sugery does the referral to Weight Watchers if you are over a certain BMI. I used to do Rosemary Conley and loved it because of the exercise class, and we had a great leader that was very encouraging and didn't have negative comments to make, she never made it obvious to the rest of the class if you'd put weight on. I couldn't afford to go back to class this time so I'm doing it on my own. I started off using the Rosemary principles and subscribed to the magazine, but I had a bad year last year and found it hard to lose weight - although on the whole I maintained at a weight that I did reach.... give or take a pound or two. However, at the end of last year, I came back here and had great results but decided that I'd enjoy Christmas and our Butlins break and my birthday and then would get back to it. Using the Rosemary principles to an extent now, but have finally got my head around the whole 'everything in moderation' thing and by recording everything on here I'm doing really well. I'm exercising 3 to 4 times a week and actually enjoying it (usually hate it!) and am seeing real results in how I look as well as the numbers on the scales. I have nowhere near as much to lose this year as some of you ladies, but losing weight is a battle no matter how much you have to lose I guess. Good luck to you all and here's to us all being successful :smile:
  • EulalieOwona
    Options
    I have nowhere near as much to lose this year as some of you ladies, but losing weight is a battle no matter how much you have to lose I guess. Good luck to you all and here's to us all being successful :smile:

Hi Ladies

katcj, I drink to your quote above :drinker:

Guys here a video and website I found about the Eat4health programme, apparently it is only in my areas, sorry, but I'm sure different areas have their own...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/475594-eat4health-by-the-nhs
  • unhindered
    Options
    This post is very old but I will reply on it just incase you see it! i go to eat4health in Reading and have done for 3 years now, I have lost 5 stone so far and have about 3 more to go! I am also training to be an eat4health instructor :)