how long should i leave my hrm on for after exercise?

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
the title pretty much says it all :) should it be like half hour? till my heart rate goes back to normal?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i always stop mine right after i finish my workout..dont want it thinking im still pushing myself with exercise when im really just standing still.
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    i always stop mine right after i finish my workout..dont want it thinking im still pushing myself with exercise when im really just standing still.

This.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    depends on how fit u are, if yr hr is still up after 1/2 hour then yr still burning and have a long way to go. a fit person will recover in under 5min. keep going, I'm sure yr doing an awsome job, you'll notice the fitness benefits before too long :)
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You might want to leave it on for a period every once in a while just to see how long it takes your heart rate to return to resting. The faster that happens the better shape you're in. Ignore calorie calculations after your done exercising though.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    As soon as the cool down/stretches are done x
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I stop mine counting cals after the cool down, but I sometimes leave it reading my HR til I am resting to see how long it takes
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I stop mine immediately after finishing my workout. I start it after my warm-up and stop it before my cool-down/stretching.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I looked this uop the other day and according to the Livestrong website you should start and stop your HRM when your heart rate reaches 90 bpm...

There wasn't really an explantion as to why, so like everyone else on here I start mine when I start my workout and stop it when i finish...
  • cockneypaul
    cockneypaul Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always take the reading from when my heart rate gets back to 120, I feel that at that point that my body has stopped exercising. Just because you stopped running or something doesnt mean your heart and respiratory system has stopped. IMO
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    I stop mine as soon as my heart rate goes below 80. That would be within 1-2mins.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've always stopped mine as soon as it goes below 100. Don't know why, it just seems like a good number. Obviously if I'm still moving (doing a cooldown or something) I wont stop it until I finish. Works for me.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I run mine like others from when I start stretching to when I am completed with the cool down.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    On a side note, has anyone worn theirs for 24 straight hours just to see what you burn in a typical day? Mine should be shipping to me in just a few days and I was hoping to wear it for a day just to see what I burn just going to work and such.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    ive considered it but im worried wearing the battery out. + you have to keep the sensors moist
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I looked this uop the other day and according to the Livestrong website you should start and stop your HRM when your heart rate reaches 90 bpm...

There wasn't really an explantion as to why, so like everyone else on here I start mine when I start my workout and stop it when i finish...

It's because the formula's for calculating calories based on HR fall all apart outside aerobic range of about 90 - 150.

So while interesting to Heart Rate Recovery in like 1 min, as others have mentioned to gain fitness improvement, stop the workout for recording.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    On a side note, has anyone worn theirs for 24 straight hours just to see what you burn in a typical day? Mine should be shipping to me in just a few days and I was hoping to wear it for a day just to see what I burn just going to work and such.

Don't waste the battery on any activity outside 90-150 HR, formula's are very inaccurate outside that range.

http://www.braydenwm.com/cal_vs_hr_ref_paper.pdf