Does anyone know anything about dyeing hair? (UK)

Options
lh12xx
lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
HELP!

Over the last few months I've had hightlights lots of times and I'm now pretty much blonde. The problem is, my clip-in hair extensions are still a caramel type colour. I've tried dyeing them with 2 different dyes that have promised to lift your colour up to 6 shades ... I'll be lucky if they've went up one!
So I think I need to bleach them. Can I only buy this from Sally's or Salon Services? Also, what do I buy (as stupid as that sounds!) as I know when the hairdresser bleaches my hair with that bluey/purpley stuff that she mixed up, she puts 2 ingredients in. What are these?!

Replies

• roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am assuming your extentions are real human hair? If so, they should respond the same way normal hair would do with bleach/dye. But my real advice to you would be to actually ask a hairdresser. If you have a Sally's near you, go in and ask them, defo!
  • amiles21693
    Options
    I bought the real hair extensions from Sallys and whenever I dyed them I used box dye. I took them from blonde to dark brown and back again and the box kind worked just fine.
  • lh12xx
    Options
    They are foxy locks extensions which are real hair, but they just wont lift :(
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Boots sells bleach.

http://www.boots.com/en/Jerome-Russell-B-Blonde-Highlight-Kit_868657/

http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Perfect-Blonde-Creme-Highlight-Kit_868102/

I've used them both on my hair but not sure how they'll work on extensions. x
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Go to your local salon services - ask for a box of blue bleach powder and a bottle of 40 vol. - they'll know what you mean. Mix the two to the specified levels and apply with a brush onto tin foil for meche. You can use a pin-tail comb to pick up sections and then use the end of the comb to weave that section (like a hairdresser would with your real hair) :)
  • lollypop_ginger
    lollypop_ginger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've used Live Colour bleach on my hair before, I got it for about £4 from Savers and it took my hair from dyed jet black (my natural colour is dark brown) to strawberry blonde
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Not an expert as don't dye my hair, but my friend had same problem and asked her hair dresser to dye extensions at the same time so shades matched.
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You need to use bleach and a high developer (20, 30 or 40, depending on how light you want them).. you can't lighten already colored hair with just regular hair color- it has to be bleach. You'll have to lighten it to the 'level' that you want it, and then end up toning it to the shade that you need- that's where your blue/ purple toner will come in. It happens fast, so be careful- you don't want to end up with lavender hair! =)
  • modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The two things mixed together to make hair bleach are usually a blue colored powder which is called powder bleach or 'hi lift' or something else, the liquid is developer which comes in different strengths called volumes or 'vol' on the bottle, 5 vol developer is the weakest and 40 vol is the strongest.

The reason the extensions came out a different color is because everyone's hair lightens at different speeds and as its not your natural hair it is not going to bleach at the same rate. You will either need a hairdresser or friend to help you apply the bleach to only the extensions... I would go to a hairdresser to be on the safe side but if you can't afford it that Just do a lot of research online first - there are a ton of websites and videos on bleaching hair at home.

You might need a toner too.
  • modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The two things mixed together to make hair bleach are usually a blue colored powder which is called powder bleach or 'hi lift' or something else, the liquid is developer which comes in different strengths called volumes or 'vol' on the bottle, 5 vol developer is the weakest and 40 vol is the strongest.

The reason the extensions came out a different color is because everyone's hair lightens at different speeds and as its not your natural hair it is not going to bleach at the same rate. You will either need a hairdresser or friend to help you apply the bleach to only the extensions... I would go to a hairdresser to be on the safe side but if you can't afford it that Just do a lot of research online first - there are a ton of websites and videos on bleaching hair at home.

You might need a toner too.

Sorry I thought they were on your head not clip ins. You can do it yourself then! :) good luck
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Hello. I am a hairdresser, have been for thirty years. Those two ingredients are color and peroxide ( they call it developer these days - it sounds better for your hair, but it's just peroxide) You will need to pick out the color you want at Sally's, but make sure the level of lightness is what you have been getting at the salon. You look about a level 7 or 8, but it's hard without seeing you up close in person. First, find the colors that are the right level, then choose a shade from that that is closest to what you want. Mix equal parts of the developer (40 volume) and the color. The instructions will be on the color bottle. Any color in Sally's will do.

You must "watch" the color. After about 20 or 30 minutes, rub off some color and dry with blow dryer (just a little spot) and see how the color is doing. If you haven't reached desired lightness, comb color thru to the dry part and keep lifting until you reach lightness desired. Hope this helps.

Also, by the way, the stuff used on your hair to highlight is too bright to put on a big chunk of hair like extensions. That's why I suggest using color instead of highlight stuff. It will look more natural.

You may do better just buying extensions that are the color of your hair.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    HELP!

Over the last few months I've had hightlights lots of times and I'm now pretty much blonde. The problem is, my clip-in hair extensions are still a caramel type colour. I've tried dyeing them with 2 different dyes that have promised to lift your colour up to 6 shades ... I'll be lucky if they've went up one!
    So I think I need to bleach them. Can I only buy this from Sally's or Salon Services? Also, what do I buy (as stupid as that sounds!) as I know when the hairdresser bleaches my hair with that bluey/purpley stuff that she mixed up, she puts 2 ingredients in. What are these?!

Most likely the colour never lifted because when they were manufactured they had a hair colour placed on them that got them to the colour they are now. You cannot, now put a colour onto another colour and want it to go lighter, colour on colour does not lighter, you can only tone or darken with dye.

You will need to bleach, 30 vol peroxide mix with the bleach powder to a creamy consistency, here is where it gets tricky, you need to get that bleach on bloody quickly, because if you do not, the bit you have done first will be bleaching (the molecules will be breaking down during this process) and you will still, frantically be trying to paste the bleach mixture onto the rest of the hair.

When it is all pasted with bleach mixture, you should time it from there - continually checking that it is lifting to ABOVE the shade you want (this is so when you put the toning colour on, it will work), however, that first bit you did that would most likely be a white by now...... watch it isn't breaking off.....

If you are lucky enough to do all that and still have the hair intact, you will need to put on a toner of your desired colour.

Or alternatively, you could do as another posted suggested and buy extensions that are the same colour as your hair.
  • lh12xx
    Options
    Hello. I am a hairdresser, have been for thirty years. Those two ingredients are color and peroxide ( they call it developer these days - it sounds better for your hair, but it's just peroxide) You will need to pick out the color you want at Sally's, but make sure the level of lightness is what you have been getting at the salon. You look about a level 7 or 8, but it's hard without seeing you up close in person. First, find the colors that are the right level, then choose a shade from that that is closest to what you want. Mix equal parts of the developer (40 volume) and the color. The instructions will be on the color bottle. Any color in Sally's will do.

You must "watch" the color. After about 20 or 30 minutes, rub off some color and dry with blow dryer (just a little spot) and see how the color is doing. If you haven't reached desired lightness, comb color thru to the dry part and keep lifting until you reach lightness desired. Hope this helps.

Also, by the way, the stuff used on your hair to highlight is too bright to put on a big chunk of hair like extensions. That's why I suggest using color instead of highlight stuff. It will look more natural.

How much do the colour and peroxide cost in the UK roughly?
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options

How much do the colour and peroxide cost in the UK roughly?

Sorry, I have no idea. I live in the U.S. (Virginia)