aqua airobics

Options
i went to aqua airobics on tuesday and i worm my HRM however my HR did not get over 100 so i didnt count the burn as its not working hard enough... im going again today and i will wear it again as she said its a lot more jumping around today... but honestly has anyone ever seen any good results doing this??

i have to go as i take my client and i have to go into the pool... i just wish it was for swimming laps lol

Replies

• TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I go to an Aqua Zumba class each week. We can actually end up sweating in the water if we kick it into high gear. I like it just because of the water resistance -- it forces my legs to use muscles differently than regular exercises do. And, it keeps exercise fun by changing it up every once in a while =)
  • Dawn3218
    Options
    www.safewatersports.co.uk/aquaaerobics.html
    'Water-based heart rate is approximately 13% lower than during land-based exercise because of the reduction of pressure, gravity and temperature on the heart that the water provides. Those with concerns over their heart can therefore feel safer in the water, knowing that water-based exercise is relieved of much of the stress of most land-based exercise.

Health Benefits of Aqua Aerobics
    As well as easing concerns over safe exercising, there are numerous health benefits to performing aerobic exercise in the water. Most significantly it increases cardiovascular fitness, promoting the service the heart provides in pumping blood around the body, and improving aerobic endurance. It also strengthens and tones the body and improves flexibility.

The density of water means that it provides twelve times the resistance of air, and therefore makes an exercise on land twelve times harder in the water. This means participants expend a good deal more energy than their cousins in the gym performing the same routines. The resistance also means that opposing muscle groups are strengthened by pushing against the water.

Nevertheless, much less is accomplished in a 30 minute period and so aqua aerobics is not a major calorie burner. For instance, over such a period aerobic water exercise could burn off around 300 calories.

Exercising in the water is also a great way to relieve stress, as the water massages and cools the body, relaxing the participant as they exercise.

Aqua aerobics is an ideal activity for those wanting to improve the health of their heart and lungs and burn off some calories but without suffering any wear and tear on their bodies'.
  • Jazzmagic
    Jazzmagic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been to 2 classes on different days (with different instructors) at my gym and find the one was like a leisurely soak in the tub and the other was a full blown aerobics work out, yet they are classed in the handbook as the same! So maybe if you can switch to a different class? I only ever bother going to the "hardcore" (haha) aqua class now!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've done well doing water areobics. Due to knee replacements water was my best friend for exercising. Our YMCA has 5 different levels of water aerobics. With the change in my eating habits and the water aerobics, I've been able to lose 49 pounds in 15 weeks. So for me personally it fits my new lifestyle changes.