How are the new Ex Smokers doing?

Options
2»

Replies

• AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I quit halfway through December and tomorrow it will be 8 weeks and I'm really loving being a non-smoker. I have to remind myself that I can't have just one - once my resolve is broken, it's broken. So the way I see it, all I have to do is not smoke that one cigarette. Kind of makes it a bit easier for me.
  • bekahpick
    Options
    today is my first smoke free day. and i can't seem to stop snacking. any tips on how not to eat so much while quiting?
  • glamazon81
    glamazon81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quit June 1, 2011. So I have 8 months behind me. You just have to keep reminding yourself "I don't smoke". And Chantix was WONDERFUL! I hardley had any cravings at all. When I quit taking it after 3 months I had a 2 week period where I thought I might have to kill someone, but I got over it. lol.

Good luck everyone!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the new non-smokers! :flowerforyou: Hang in there, it really does get easier, and every day you'll feel better!

I'm on day 23 and I can't believe what a big difference it has made in my running. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about getting 'caught' smoking by work colleagues or friends, and I don't reek of that nasty smoke smell anymore. :bigsmile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    today is my first smoke free day. and i can't seem to stop snacking. any tips on how not to eat so much while quiting?

Try to substitute exercising for snacking - go for a walk, hit it hard in the gym, etc... Also, at least try to have healthy snacks on hand to go to - apples, carrots, etc..., and drink LOTS of ice water. But if those things don't work right now, don't worry, and give yourself permission to get through the withdrawal phase however you need to (I took an excessive amount of naps :tongue: ) - getting off the cigarettes should be your number one priority - it does far more damage than a few extra pounds. As the saying goes, you can lose the weight, but you can't regrow a lung. I found the first 4-5 days the hardest, and after that I was able to get back to my regular eating routine, but everyone is differnet. Exercise, water, and healthy snacks will really help though.
  • starrcmc79
    Options
    I have been THINKING about quitting... I want to quit, but I am scared I won't be able to. Every time I seriously contemplate it I get anxious. It's nice to know other people have quit successfully!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Quit date Jan 3, 2012 and still going strong! :drinker:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    water, water, water....and gum is working for me too (i stocked it in my desk, car, purse and laptop bag). I've been hitting it extra hard at the gym too (started doing the C25K running program this week) and feeling an improvement in my lungs is helping a LOT! If you usually take a smoke break at work, get up and walk around a little bit to shake it off...... hang in there...we can all do this!!

(edit) OH, and brush your teeth frequently...feeling a clean fresh mouth helps a lot too!
  • mjs3800
    mjs3800 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Very inspiring.
  • bellinghamtori
    Options
    Congrats to all who have quit. Keep it up! And to those who want to quit, just do it.

I quit March 4, 2011 cold turkey, or rather, bronchitis helped me. My husband smokes so it wasn't easy at first. I joined the gym and went as often as I could when I had cravings. I found that if I did something else with my hands helped. So I started doing scrapebooking in my "spare" time. Now almost a year later it's gotten much easier. Best of all, no more coughing!