Clean eating...

Options
I have been on this weight loss journey for over a year and have dropped 40+ pounds.

I struggle with snacking and eating prepared foods (out of convenience mostly). To combat this I am really trying to focus on eating clean.

Where can I learn more about it and how do you define it/live by it?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Try to eat everything originating in its most natural form.

Fresh meats that have to be cooked
    Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables.

Don't purchase any packaged goods that are more than 5 ingredients and yes that includes bread.

My little mantra........

If its beige or white - keep it out of sight.
    If its green - you will become lean.
    If it had a mother and moo'd, bawked, oinked or baaa'd - it is safe to eat.

The best thing to do is to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Everything clean is around the edges. There is no need to venture into the depths of processed food hell in the middle aisles. LOL :flowerforyou:

Hope that helps a bit.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Bumping to bookmark. I like the mantra.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I have been on this weight loss journey for over a year and have dropped 40+ pounds.

I struggle with snacking and eating prepared foods (out of convenience mostly). To combat this I am really trying to focus on eating clean.

Check out Tosca Reno....big time clean eating warrior..many cookbooks
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Try http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/ I find lots of recipies that my whole family enjoys, and great tips!
  • runforitmarisa
    runforitmarisa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in the 3-week cleanse found on www.wholeliving.com. I am on week two and I really like it. I feel great, energized, and have lost 7 pounds so far. It's not as strict as other cleanses I've come across and I like how it is 21 days since it supposedly takes 21 days to create a habit. This makes it easier to make clean eating stick around longer. When I'm done I plan to very gradually work in the foods not allowed on the cleanse but stick with clean eating as my foundation.

I like that mantra too!
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Great decision!!! I have been eating very clean for the past three weeks... Today I slipped up and had lunch from subway and dinner from cultures... Still within my caloric intake, but i felt awful after!!! The benefits of clean eating are great and you feel amazing all around!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you read an ingredients list and you cannot pronounce something on the list...dont eat it!

Other than that...IIFYM eat it!!!!
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump....great mantra!
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    :smile: Great website!! Thanks
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    also check out your raw food websites,they have many wonderful ideas and recipes......
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    www.thegraciouspantry.com has a lot of good info as well...I'm still learning about this as well, I have a few MFP friends that are clean eaters, feel free to add me and I'll hook you up with them...they have open diaries( that has helped me get ideas) and they share great recipes!!!!
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you also need to read the ingredients on your raw meats! I bought some raw boneless skinless chicken tenderloins and didn't see the tiny tiny print that said upto 15% natural juices added (read 400 mg of sodium per 4oz of raw chicken)!!!
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I have two kids and a picky husband to feed, but I've gradually converted them to whole foods with some easy switches in their favorite recipes.

I really like:

http://outoftheboxfood.com/
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/

I stay away from Hungry Girl - while the recipes are low cal/low fat, she uses highly processed foods, IMO.
  • reaolliemama
    Options
    I have two kids and a picky husband to feed, but I've gradually converted them to whole foods with some easy switches in their favorite recipes.

I really like:

Out of the Box Food

Jamie Oliver

I stay away from Hungry Girl - while the recipes are low cal/low fat, she uses highly processed foods, IMO.

I agree about Hungry Girl...I love some of her recipes, so I am trying to sub in some whole things for some of her processed things!
  • Pattinan
    Pattinan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Like this!!
  • reaolliemama
    Options
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options

One thing I tell myself is - "If it comes in a box, it's not food!"

I'd love to preach that to everyone I know, but I know I'd sound like I'm on a soap box LOL

I try to get 90% of my food from the fridge, not the pantry. What I do eat that comes out of the pantry is: Quinoa, coconut milk, nuts, nut butter (not peanut butter) spices, oil, flax seed, protein powder and occasionally a bit of chocolate or honey. I'm on a paleo diet, although I do eat cheese.

Good luck with eating clean! I found it took me baby steps to get to where I am now. I started working towards eliminating processed food from my diet at the beginning of 2010. For a while I was buying preservative-free condiments before working up to ditching them altogether. It's a process, but I promise you will look and feel great if you can commit to it! People tell me I look much younger than my age (I'm 32 and still get asked for ID) and that my skin has become more taut and looks more 'healthy.' Now when I see boxed conveinance food it turns my stomach.
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Check out the CLEAN EATING GROUP under the groups tab in MFP