Exercises at work?

Options
8 hours a day at a desk....I'm sure a lot of you share the same pain :) Anyone have any good at work exercises to burn some extra calories?

Replies

• willwhite78
    Options
    8 hours a day at a desk....I'm sure a lot of you share the same pain :) Anyone have any good at work exercises to burn some extra calories?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but at lunch (in warm weather) I bike with my boss. We can usually do 12 miles or so in 40 minutes, leaving us time to change and eat lunch. We do have showers, so if needed I can clean up. They're not real strict on my lunch hour, so long as I make up the time/work.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i try to fit in anything i can when noone is around like pushups, crunches, jump rope, jumping jacks, lunges, squats, steps, and walking. If I get caught I just say I'm cold and trying to warm up. Resistance bands would work but I haven't tried it. Oh and taking the stairs and parking farther away. good luck.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I do squats and lunges at my desk. When there's no one else in the office, or I can steal a tucked away room, I do jumping jacks
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    park far away from the building and walk, take the steps. Get up and walk around the building on your breaks. I have a desk job as well. hope that helps!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this as well!
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've seen some desk bikes where you just pedal at work. They are on amazon for under $100 dollars. Don't know how well they work but they probably raise your HR which I'm sure is a good thing!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump could seriously use some ideas as well!
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    .......laughing.....Has everyone heard of the hula chair..... it's hilarious!!! but not very practical.

On the more practical side, look at a stability ball chair... I am... as soon as I get below 250 (weight limit on ball)...

My colleague says it has been GREAT for her core....

Thoughts?
  • ammensing
    ammensing Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Google "Deskercise" or " work outs to do at your desk"- I did that and it gave me a bunch of options.
  • TheBrandonEspinosa
    Options
    During my 2 breaks at work, I will do 20 burpees with triple pushups and a juming jack per 1, 50 standing squats, and 50 jumping jacks.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I borrowed a resistance band and I can do arm exercises while i am sitting talking on the phone
  • slayerdan
    Options
    I marked off for coworkers how many round trips inside the building to go from one end to the other would equal a mile....32 single trips, 16 round trips. There is always an easy way to exercise....walk.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Take the stairs.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Be fidgety...I read that just sitting at your desk fidgeting can burn an extra 100 calories per day. That said, I used to do a lot of stuff in the bathroom, haha. I would do squats, pushups agains the wall or countertop. On the toilet you can sit and shadowbox. If you have toilets that the lid goes down on, you can perch on the edge and do crunches with your feet on the stall door. Be creative :)
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I eat at my desk before lunch and walk on my lunch break. I can get 4 miles in one hour.

Only pain to that is i look like i am moving in every day. I bring my lunch every day so i have a bag for that, then a bag for my shoes, hat or ear muffs, scarf and mittens.

In the summer i will bring my bike to work and ride home (20 miles). I car pool so it works out good.

Taking my desk job is what packed on the pounds for me so i have to do something during the day.

I look forward to it every day.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I normally do pilates for a half hour on my lunch break in our lunch room and when no one is in the bank I do wall sits and planks by my desk! :tongue: :happy:
  • aparker36
    aparker36 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone is good at this, but I do most of my exercise at 6am. I either do a video, or I swim at the local pool before work...anything to get it done and over with for the day so I don't have to worry about it. I'm lucky because my company has a wellness program and offers free classes, so I take zumba on Wednesday and Yoga on Friday. But I find that if I wait till the evening to exercise it's too hard to talk myself out of it. MORNINGS are the key! Takes discipline, but I'm always so happy I did it.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Since I drink about 80 glasses (or at least it feels like that many) of water a day, I pee....A LOT :grumble: so everytime I go to the restroom, after I do my business I do 10 to 30 jumping jacks and about 10-15 squats. In an 8 hour day this can add up to about a hundred of each a day!

While I am sitting at my desk I do leg stretches and lifts under my desk. I also sit up very straight, boobs out (my guy co-workers appreciate this move) and my belly held taught.

Anytime I get up to get the door, file a file, or go to the copier I hold my belly in the whole time I am walking...

While waiting for copies I do arm streches.

I don't know how much of a difference this will make but it makes my work day seem more productive in the ME department :bigsmile:
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I walk the hallways at work on my breaks, and I go to a nearby park or the neighborhood for my lunch and walk.
    My old job, I walked the parking garage or the underground tunnel.

Sometimes I will even put in Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, or other workout video and shut my office door and work out at lunch.

If your building has stairs, you can walk/run stairs on your break/lunch also.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    When I was at work my goal was to get up every hour, go to the back stairway (4 flights) and go up to the top. That would leave me panting at the top but good work out and took about 10 min start to finish.