The foods which keep you strong -your "diet" essentials!

Options
I'm not sure whether there is another thread like this so apologies if there is. We have a weaknesses thread going but I just wondered, which foods you consider essential to a GOOD week of eating healthy and right for you?

What are your healthiest filling tasty meals?
If you were writing a shopping list for someone new to this way of life what are the things you would add to their shopping list and know would help them get through the week?

My current favourite is Courgette in salads.. I don't really like it cooked so it really surprised me how tasty it is raw!!

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal
    blueberries (yum)
    hard-boiled eggs
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Any kind of vegetables is essential; I love frozen broccoli. :) I recommend skim milk & oatmeal as well.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    chia seeds. I have them in almond milk every morning and they fill me up 'til lunch. I'd be hungry all the time without bulky, fibrous foods. :)
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt with honey
    muesli
    light babybel cheese
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Marmite
    Free range eggs
    Dry black olives
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Fish
    Protein powder
  • angiev1226
    angiev1226 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    oatmeal
    berries
    whole eggs or egg whites
    meal replacement protein shakes (i like labrada lean body, carb watchers)
    PB2 (google it)
    chicken breasts
    salmon
    colorful veggies
    sweet potatoes
    air popped popcorn
    sugar free jello
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I eat the same most days and try to stick with that

Morning: Porridge made with low fat milk with a spoon of weight watchers blackcurrant jam. Cup of decaf tea with low fat milk

Lunch: A bagel with a low-low triangle or extra light garlic and herb spread, onion, tomato, shredded lettuce, tomato relish and wafer this turkey/chicken. An oxtail cuppasoup

Dinner: A weight watchers meal, or chicken grilled on the george foreman with piri-piri seasoning, with boiled frozen veg and a thickly mixed cauliflower&broccoli cuppasoup poured over

Snacks: mini babybel light, muller fat free yoghurts, cheestrings, options belgian hot chocolate, velvet crunch cheese and onion crisps

xx
  • hettylair
    hettylair Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Cabot vanilla Greek yogurt
    granola cereal
    Bananas
    Gala apples
    whole wheat 100 calorie flat rounds
    low-sodium deli sliced turkey breast
    tomatoes
    avacados
    red onion
    onions
    lemons
    Romaine
    baby carrots
    hummus
    1% milk
    berries
    black beans
    long grain rice
    chicken
    diced tomatoes
    whole wheat pasta
    ground turkey
    Mrs. Dash salt-free spices
    salmon
    frozen broccoli
    frozen brussel sprouts
    whole frozen chicken
    whole wheat tortillas
    frozen shrimp
    aspargus if its in season
    banana peppers
    Smuckers natural peanut butter
    no sugar added strawberry jam
    pop-corn
    dried cranberries
    unsalted peanuts
    unsalted roasted almonds
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Smoothies/Protein Shakes
    Chia Seeds
    GG Bran Crisps (google it)
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Vegetables
    Fruit
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    Muller lights
    Alpen cereal bars
    Weetabix
    Strawberries
    Apples
    Chicken
    Tomatoes
    Al the spices/herbs you can think of - I have a huge collection of them and the only time I use salt now is when I (very rarely) make chips
    Quark/low fat natural yoghurt
    Quorn
    Frozen vegetables

...this is my shopping list most months!
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a really picky eater especially when it comes to fruit and vegetables so I try to sneak them in when I can. My favorite meal is a lean high protein/high fiber chili, and a protein shake made with lots of strawberries and flax seed oil.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: SMoothie - veggie based w/ just enough fruit to make it paleteable.
    Snack: Banana or apple
    Lunch: BIG salad heavy on the greens. Add a bit of other veggies for color. Seasoned w/ salt, pepper and either a squeeze of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar. Side of either deli turkey or whatever leftover protein from the night before.
    Snack an hour before a workout: Small Kind bar.
    Dinner: Try to make it heavy on the veggies but sometimes I don't succeed. Usually something like nachos, soup or pasta w/ veggie sauce and maybe a protein. Tacos are a favorite as they are quick and I can load them with veggies while hubby loads his with whateer pleases him and they make a meal out of leftovers.
  • vilardip1
    Options
    bacon, steak, cheese, chicken, pork, nuts, cold cuts, bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, blue cheese dressing, chipotle ranch dressing, eggs
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My must haves: quick oats, skim milk, raspberries, blueberries (freeze both of them - so yummy), broccoli, carrots, eggs, bacon (low sodium), sea salt almonds, Greek yogurt w/fruit at the bottom, frozen chicken breasts, long grain rice and romaine lettuce.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    chia seeds. I have them in almond milk every morning and they fill me up 'til lunch. I'd be hungry all the time without bulky, fibrous foods. :)

goot look into this...
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat raw spinach a lot! And I am big on soy. Low fat greek yogart too.
  • SeptemberHalloween
    Options
    Cucmbers and alfafa sprouts, you can cut them up and eat them on any wrap/salad and almond butter with apples make a great snack and always a big carton of nofat greek yogurt with fresh berries to top it or granola, mmm
  • MNHoliday
    Options
    Tomatoes
    Spinach
    Kale
    Broccoli
    Blueberries
    Carrots
    Celery
    Chicken
    Bison
    Salmon