Why is it so easy to gain a pound?

But its a pain in the A to lose a pound?

I know the body changes daily, but on the days that i dont run i'll gain a pound?

Replies

• chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Drink a big glass of water, there is a pound!

Days you run around you sweat more
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Ohhh, I have asked myself this question a million times! I have to FIGHT for every pound lost, but one "bad" meal or snack and I'm up a pound!!!!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    I went to a birthday party on Monday night and since that time I have gained 4 pounds. WTF?? I know I screwed up and ate some cake but come on!!! It is so frustrating isn't it?? Some times I want to just throw in the towel. I feel your frustration. :grumble:
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Ohhh, I have asked myself this question a million times! I have to FIGHT for every pound lost, but one "bad" meal or snack and I'm up a pound!!!!

Exactly! Its like you work your *kitten* off, then one little indulgence or rest day and poof.. pound is back. WTF!
  • water weight??
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Smartass response: food is yummy.

Ok, serious response. You aren't really gaining a pound in the nasty weight gain way (fat accumulation). Our bodies change all the time and when you step on the scale it's measuring all of you. So, things that influence weight: bones, organs, body fat, the food or water you just drank, the contents of your bowels... you get the point I hope. Like someone else said, you aren't sweating like you normally do when you run. Sodium can cause you to hold on to water weight.

Don't think of it as really gaining a pound, in the unhealthful way. It's just natural fluctuation. So, my advice would be to get a scale that measures body fat % in addition to weight and also measure. That way you can keep track of the things you need to track. Since body fat % is generally more of what we care about, not exactly weight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Weight fluctuates.

It's difficult to put on a pound of fat. You need to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance. Otherwise, it won't happen. Water retention doesn't mean weight gain, any more than dehydration means weight loss.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Weight fluctuates.

It's difficult to put on a pound of fat. You need to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance. Otherwise, it won't happen. Water retention doesn't mean weight gain, any more than dehydration means weight loss.

Where that figure comes from ? I mean eating 3500 cal. over maintenance in order to gain a pound ?
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Unless youve eaten the same amount of excess cals youve gained its not REALISTIC to believe youve actually gained weight.
    I can gain up to four pounds from one day to the next depending on my carb and sodium intake but I dont freak cuz with time Ive learnt how my body works and also what to avoid if I dont want these raises.
  • tigersword
    1 pound of fat is equivalent to 3500 calories.

Granted, I simplified, as the body never adds 100% fat, just like when bulking, you can't add 100% muscle. That's why cutting recommends a 500 calorie a day deficit in general, as 500 * 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat loss.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member

Ok, serious response. You aren't really gaining a pound in the nasty weight gain way (fat accumulation). Our bodies change all the time and when you step on the scale it's measuring all of you. So, things that influence weight: bones, organs, body fat, the food or water you just drank, the contents of your bowels... you get the point I hope. Like someone else said, you aren't sweating like you normally do when you run. Sodium can cause you to hold on to water weight.

Don't think of it as really gaining a pound, in the unhealthful way. It's just natural fluctuation. So, my advice would be to get a scale that measures body fat % in addition to weight and also measure. That way you can keep track of the things you need to track. Since body fat % is generally more of what we care about, not exactly weight.

I did not know they made scales like this?!
  • TropicalKitty

I did not know they made scales like this?!

Yep! http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/body-fat-scale/?sstr=body+fat+scale&dim=1&nty=1&

Can't tell you how great each of them at the link are, but you can check em out.

Btw, i think it's Tanita that is the good brand to use. They have their own website, but IIRC they're more expensive than the ones at BB&B
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Weight fluctuates.

Where that figure comes from ? I mean eating 3500 cal. over maintenance in order to gain a pound ?

One pound is somewhere around 3500 kcal, you need to eat that much more to realistically gain one pound of fat.
  • tigersword
    Those scales are terrible for body composition. I have one, and it tells me my body fat changes by about 5% every hour or so.
  • TropicalKitty
    Those scales are terrible for body composition. I have one, and it tells me my body fat changes by about 5% every hour or so.

There are better ones available. It was just a quick search to show they exist.

Or get a hand-held monitor. The point is that weight isn't the biggest thing to be concerned about and there are devices available for people to monitor other things.