I think that I seriously need to

Options
Start taking advice only from people who are in better shape than me, im talking tip-top shape. Everyone who is bigger than me says that I look "perfect" and thats not true at all .Im sure people who are bigger than you think that you look "perfect" towo hen you know that you aren't. Do I need to post pics in my profile of me sitting down in jeans and my fat hanging over in order for people to stop leaving me random messages about that " look fine the way i am"? I don't know, but im from Michigan where there are a lot of overweight people and maybe I look good next to all of them, but go down to Texas or to California and I bet I would not look as good standing next to some of those girls. It really discourages me to not lose weight when people are constantly saying this, or have any type of healthy lifestyle for that matter. If i look fine this way, then why should i work out? Because eating healthy and maintaining is important too. Any comments ?

-Danielle

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a realistic goal...then stick to it...no matter what anyone else says (except maybe your doctor:smile: )
    Feel flattered that people think you look great....Just add that up to the fact that you are doing something right.
    We all have goals....we are all at different places on our journey.... Just keep focused (:
    Good luck!
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    girl, you just have to do what's best for you. forget everyone and take care of you. dont worry, being healthy is an ongoing effort. so people who say you dont need to worry about it are mistaken. america could use more people who take a proactive approch to their health. good for you.:drinker:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Start taking advice only from people who are in better shape than me, im talking tip-top shape. Everyone who is bigger than me says that I look "perfect" and thats not true at all .Im sure people who are bigger than you think that you look "perfect" towo hen you know that you aren't. Do I need to post pics in my profile of me sitting down in jeans and my fat hanging over in order for people to stop leaving me random messages about that " look fine the way i am"? I don't know, but im from Michigan where there are a lot of overweight people and maybe I look good next to all of them, but go down to Texas or to California and I bet I would not look as good standing next to some of those girls. It really discourages me to not lose weight when people are constantly saying this, or have any type of healthy lifestyle for that matter. If i look fine this way, then why should i work out? Because eating healthy and maintaining is important too. Any comments ?

-Danielle

i completely understand the discouragement that comes with being thinner than some people. i get discouraged all the time, even by my best friends. 'you don't need to lose any weight' 'you don't need to work out'...yeah, my belly and thighs say way different, as well as my lethargy! just completely block out everything that they are saying, and be fit for you.
    become a warrior. take up running. and run until you can't run anymore. challenge yourself and push yourself to the limit as life intends!
  • sandas23
    sandas23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have to do it for yourself and stay away from the people that tell you you are crazy for wanting to get in better shape. I am in no way fat, I'm 5'7" and 133lbs. I'm smack dab in the middle of the average BMI, but I have flab that I am trying to get rid of. When I hang out with my bigger friends (who tell me I'm skinny) I find myself eating junk food and then feel awful in the morning. Stick to a healthy food and exercise routine and you can't go wrong.
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem with my family. They got used to seeing me at 225lbs for so many years, that 170 looks good to them. ''You look fine" or my favorite "You look anorexic, you're losing too much weight" I finally got my mom to see that I'm doing this for my health and to feel good about myself. I don't want to look like those tiny models, nor could I ever look like that. I just had to explain that I'm doing it the right way, counting calories, working out, a couple pounds at a time. I think she gets it now. They even thought at one point that my boyfriend wasn't letting me eat!! :noway: Anyway, we know it's for us....we just have to continue on our journey and try not to pay attention to those people....as difficult as it is. Good Luck!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people who are truly obese are somewhat offended when thinner people talk about their own need to lose weight. I know when someone thinner than me laments their weight struggle I have a tendency to dismiss their feelings ~ they aren't having to deal with MY weight, so therefore their struggle seems trivial compared to my own. :blushing: I'm not proud, just saying...

The truth of the matter is: If we who are obese had been concerned about our weight at an earlier stage, saaayyy when we were your "perfectly fine" size, then we wouldn't be where we are today.

I say good for you, and offer this advice: In the future, don't tell people you are "on a diet" or trying to "lose weight." Explain instead that you are working on your fitness level. Educate others about body fat percentages/BMR/BMI, etc. Nobody can argue with a desire to be "perfectly fit."

lulu:heart:
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    I agree with you. I have the same problem, people saying that I do not need to lose weight--especially my husband. But I disgust myself, so how can I look good! I have cellulite from he--! :cry: I am doing a roller coaster ride with my exercise/eating habits. I do good for awhile, then I go back to my old habits. UGGHHH!! It is very discouraging.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

-Danielle

Diet and exercise is important in everyone's life. So its not all about weight loss. Its about obtaining the right BMI for your bone structure.

I use to be a lot skinner before I got pregnant and had fallen into a very deep depression. Even then, when I was 142 people told me I looked great. But it wasn't about them telling that that matter. I was overweight. Not obese, but just overweight. My doctor wanted me to get down to somewhere around 130. So I dropped to 128.

Everyone use to call me names and say I had an eating disorder because I was on a diet, but I knew the truth and that's all that matters.

If you want to lose a couple of pounds that's not bad at all. I don't think you should listen to other people but your doctor and do what's right for you and your health
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    First, I live in California and not everyone is skinny. Second, next time people tell you that you LOOK fine, remind youself it isn't just about how you look. It's about how you feel. When I eat well and exercise, I feel better physically and mentally. I like myself better. A healthy lifestyle shouldn't be about what other people think, it should about you. It is about you.

So keep on doing what you're doing because as another poster said "toned will kick thin's *kitten* any day!":laugh:
  • lskirvin
    lskirvin Posts: 10
    Options
    People say that because they want you to feel good about the way you look. People who weigh 110 pounds are not necessarily healhty. Just tell them that it is more about how you feel that how you look. That should be the truth. Besides ,if you are young, it is only going to get harder to maintain your weight. So getting a jump on it is a good thing. There are so many benefits to a healhty lifestyle that go far beyond how you look. If you are focused on those you are more likely to both lose weight and keep it off.