walking the dogs.

Options
I need your opinions everbody. Every morning and evening after they eat I take my dogs for a ten to fifteen minute walk.....should I count this as excercise? I do have to stop every so often for sniffing around. So should I count this as excercise?

Replies

• proctor0828
    proctor0828 Posts: 179
    Options
    I wouldn't technically count it... just think of it as "extra" to cover you on the times you would rather take a nap.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't. casually walking for 15 min only burns about 50 calories or so and even less when your constantly stopping. if your activity level is above sedentary, then i would say that's something thats included in the daily activity levels.
  • jagodragon
    jagodragon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do....i have one dog and when i walk her i count it... perhaps i am doing it wrong, but, i am still losing weight and have gone...FINALY...into a size 36 pants size :happy: and i'm now as of this morning using my last belt buckle hole :wink:

in the end it is such a small amount of calories burned that it probably doesn't realy matter..but i make it a point to add EVERY THING lol

what ever you choose, just remember...it's about you, your health, and your happines :wink: so do what makes you the happiest. your doing great so far, and i say you should just keep doing what you're doing now and be VERY happy and PROUD of all you've done so far.

And, also, GOOD LUCK on the rest of your jurney!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It depends on how fast you feel you are walking. My dog does his business in the backyard, so our walks are for exercise, not bathroom breaks. We walk faster and though we do occasionally stop, we aren't just meandering looking for the "right spot." "Walking dog" is in the exercise database, so I count it. I, too, could be doing it wrong, but if I count all my food, may as well count all my exercise...Just sayin'.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My fitness profile has changed...I've finished school for the year so i went from lightly active to sedentary. I used to walk all over the place, to and from school, all over campus. Now most of my excercise comes from walking the dogs and cleaning the house.
  • jlregan
    jlregan Posts: 9
    Options
    I count it using the category in the exercise module. If I'm out for 30 minutes, I only record 20 min. of walking to account for all of the stops to sniff, etc. I figure that's fair!