5K, should I do it?

Options
The racetrack that my boyfriend volunteers at is hosting a 5K walk/run in a couple weeks before the races start (the cars) and he suggested I walk it and then stay and watch him do his thing. He seems really excited about it and has brought it up several times. I can't decide if I want to do it or not.

The thing is, I did a 10K back in April and it was awesome....I got done way ahead of my estimated time and my boyfriend and brother were so supportive and proud of me. Later on I found out something bad was going on (though I'd rather not say what) and knowing about this certain thing kind of took away the specialness of anything that happened during the time, including the 10K walk.

So I really don't want to do this 5K coming up becasue it brings back memories of the last walk. My boyfriend seemed pretty bummed when I said I don't think I want to do it, but I can't stand seeing people dissapointed. But in my heart of hearts, I really don't want to do it. Should I just do it for his sake (and maybe find out that it wasn't so bad) or stick to how I feel and not do it?

Hope this all made sense....

Replies

• paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    The racetrack that my boyfriend volunteers at is hosting a 5K walk/run in a couple weeks before the races start (the cars) and he suggested I walk it and then stay and watch him do his thing. He seems really excited about it and has brought it up several times. I can't decide if I want to do it or not.

The thing is, I did a 10K back in April and it was awesome....I got done way ahead of my estimated time and my boyfriend and brother were so supportive and proud of me. Later on I found out something bad was going on (though I'd rather not say what) and knowing about this certain thing kind of took away the specialness of anything that happened during the time, including the 10K walk.

So I really don't want to do this 5K coming up becasue it brings back memories of the last walk. My boyfriend seemed pretty bummed when I said I don't think I want to do it, but I can't stand seeing people dissapointed. But in my heart of hearts, I really don't want to do it. Should I just do it for his sake (and maybe find out that it wasn't so bad) or stick to how I feel and not do it?

Hope this all made sense....

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.

I'll always go with my inner gut, you said it yourself "in my heart of hearts, I really don't want to do it".

But then again, there's the other answer "get over it".

Sorry babes, you're going to hear all kinds of answers on this one, at the end of the day, make a decision and live with it.

G'luck either way.

:flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from but what other option do you have?
    Are you just going to avoid participating in a walk or run for the rest of your life because of this one bad experience? An experience that was not even directly related to the 10 k? What's next avoid walking or running altogether? I think you need to do this to move forward. You may even enjoy the event and at the very least I know it won't be as bad as you anticipate.

Do this for you, because you enjoy it. Nothing can take that away from you unless you let it.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Did you explain to him why you don't want to do it? He might be more understanding and understand how you are feeling. Are you never going to do a race again because of what happened? If you plan on doing one eventually maybe theres no time like the present and its great that you have such great support, good luck, you will figure it out don't worry :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • lskirvin
    lskirvin Posts: 10
    Options
    I used to do races. They are so much fun and so rewarding, and if you get into a racing club they are a great social activity. Since I don't know what happened to you, I can't say for sure whether it is something that would happen again. I hope whatever happened wasn't to traumatic I have to say though, that races are a lot of fun, and I think you should give it another shot. For yourself though, you should never do something just because someone else wants you to do because you often end up resenting the other person.

I should also say that my mom used to run. She was overweight at the time and someone made a comment about her being a fat person running. She was upset at first, but she didn't quit. She kept going, got in great shape and eventually she ran 3 Marathons and did 2 triathalons as well. To this day she is so proud of herself for what she did. It is very rewarding.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from but what other option do you have?
    Are you just going to avoid participating in a walk or run for the rest of your life because of this one bad experience? An experience that was not even directly related to the 10 k? What's next avoid walking or running altogether? I think you need to do this to move forward. You may even enjoy the event and at the very least I know it won't be as bad as you anticipate.

Do this for you, because you enjoy it. Nothing can take that away from you unless you let it.

I agree!!
  • EMBARASSED
    Options
    My boyfriend seemed pretty bummed when I said I don't think I want to do it, but I can't stand seeing people dissapointed. But in my heart of hearts, I really don't want to do it. Should I just do it for his sake (and maybe find out that it wasn't so bad) or stick to how I feel and not do it?

I think you should consider putting other people's feelings aside. Not completely discount them, but putting your feelings first. It may sound selfish, but doing something for someone else's sake is usually not a good thing because the 'desire' is not coming from within.
    I do agree with the rest of the posters on a lot of accounts. One thing to consider too is that you can take this 'new' experience and completely erase the bad memories of the previous incident. In other words, after the fact, you can remember the feeling/experience you had with THIS walk and not the previous walk.

Do it for yourself. You could make it a challenge to get over the past and walk a new walk.
    Good luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    This 5k could be the closure you need to the stuff that happened before. You do what is right for you!