Swimming

Options
Does anyone here swim? I normally run about 3-4 miles or do about 45 on a cardio machine about 5 times a week, I also do strength training 1-2 times a week. I have a very irritating herniated disc and my doctor recommended swimming. I'm just wondering what a good workout is (ie how many laps or how long?) and any advice for combating boredom while swimming laps? I usually listen to music or podcasts and I think I might be bored silly :)

Thanks all!

Replies

• ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great low impact workout. Good for when you have injuries or when you are sore from intensing training. How many laps for a good workout greatly depends on what stroke I think. I'm not good at many different strokes so I stick with breaststroke and freestyle. Breaststroke is a much slower (and harder IMO) stroke so I get a "good" workout with less laps, as to freestyle which is pretty fast.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I swim 1x week. I usually go for 45 minutes and do at least 1 mile. I find it to be a great complement to running. It's calming and feels great to get a decent work out while being gentle to my body. Most of the time I'm working on endurance so I try to do long, slow sets. But I do throw in some speed drills to get my heart rate up. I usually do 4-6 x 50yds as fast as I can with 15 second rest between. As for boredom, you can get waterproof cases for ipods and earphones, but they are pricey. My pool sometimes plays music, but you only hear it when you're stopped. But I make sure I have a decent song in my head and just think about whatever. It's actually quite calming, like a long run! I usually only do freestyle because breaststroke aggravates a nagging hip injury, but once I'm over that I'll add that back in. I feel like breaststroke really works my legs! I don't often use the kickboard but that is also good for glute strength, which is great for running! It's also a great core workout.

I had a herniated disc in my neck in the fall and used swimming to help build back some upper body strength once it healed enough for me to do it. I'd recommend incorporating it into your workout rotation!
  • hml1976
    Options
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to giving it a try :)
  • Amandasmfp2011
    Options
    I swim a minimum of 5 days a week, breaststroke (but not properly as I keep my head above water as I don't like going under, like to see where I'm going and can hear the musc that way!). I take 42 mins to do 64 lengths of a 25m pool as that is a mile straight after going to the gym, but if I haven't been to the gym beforehand then I will do 100 lengths. I find the swimming such a calming exercise and like the fact that it doesn't aggravate my joints.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If you have never swam laps before, most pools are 25yards across, so 50 for a lap... 100-200yards is a good warm up and then maybe another 500 for your workout.. if you want to do more then do, I sometimes will push upwards of 2500 but this takes me about an hour.. If I do 500 straight freestyle not racing it takes about 15-20minutes.. to give you a perspective.. I'm pretty slow now though since I don't regurarly swim anymore..

Also work on breathing and technique, this can make a HUGE difference. Good luck :)

edit: Add some kickboard laps and leg bouy laps (you put the bouy between your knees so you only used your arms to pull you along...)