Shoe Types

Options
I have just started my journey and I have a long way to go. I am pumped, motivated and ready to go! I am not a sneaker person. I have always wore sandals or flip flops. Now that I am exercising (almost everyday) I know that I need good sneakers. I have a pair of Nikewalk Airliners - but I have had them literally since 11th grade - 10 years ago! They are still white because they are never worn. I know my foot has changed a lot in 10 years and I definetely need new ones, just not sure what kind I need or should get. Any ideas? I typically walk a mile a day but am going to try to up it. I also do Zumba dance, and will be starting the elliptcal next week. Once I get in better shape, I want to start jogging. So between all the different things I have and will be doing, I am at a loss as to what kind I need. I know some are pricey and that's ok too. I just don't want to spend over a $100 or so. Any ideas on brands? Types? I do have a wide foot as well and am pretty flat footed. Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ogypsy0soulo
    ogypsy0soulo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

I went shoe shopping for the first time in a year, recently. This might sound strange, but some of the guys' shoes were WAY more fun than the girls, so I bought a pair. (Usually you have to go 2 sizes smaller in Men's... just a heads up).

Anyway, in all of my 27 years of life - I managed to land the BEST pair of shoes I have ever owned that are perfect for everything. I did catch them on a sale (and please be wary because the cliche phrase, "You get what you pay for," is absolutely true, even in the shoe department). But - I have a pair of awesome blue/silver - Asics Gel Bravado shoes. Best shoes, I have ever, ever owned. Super comfortable and definitely helps impact with the gel. I highly recommend Asics or New Balance. They are great shoes, they are built to last and they're perfect for all of your exercise needs.

Another thing- although the running shoes tend to be the most "cool looking" they usually are the most expensive and really are made specifically for runners.

I would look into cross-training shoes. Those are usually always the best for all-around. :)

Hope that helps!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I use Asics 2160s for indoor exercise (aerobics and circuits), and Brooks Adrenaline for running as they are lighter. You have to get the right shoe for your foot shape, weight and gait. What is right for one person isn't necessarily for another.
  • staceyshayden
    Options
    Glad you hear you are so pumped up. I do Zumba at home 4 to 5 times a week and take a class. Our instructor is a certified one and stated Cross Trainers were one of the best shoes to wear when doing Zumba. They should also do everything else you want to do. I wore mine and then changed shoes just to see- WELL my feet were screaming. I just purchased on Amazon a pair of Black hip hop/jazz split shoes dance shoes. They actually came from Discount Dance. Don;t go to their website- shipping is half the price of shoe. I paid $32.00 for them and LOVE them. HUGE difference wore them today and wore them walking 2 miles very brisk. These are called Skazz. Now if you wear a size 9.5 wide or a size 10 oder a 12. They are so comfortable. Good luck.
  • toriann143
    Options
    thank you so much everyone! i am going shoe researching and shopping this weekend :)