Protein Shakes for Lunch?

Options
Hey all,

My name is Sara. I have lost 55 pounds since last April. I didn't exercise as much then, but I was still dropping 3lbs a week. Now I'm at a standstill. I skip lunch because I never have time for it. I am a busy medical assisting student and am a full time CNA. My roommate has suggest adding a protein shake to lunch instead of skipping it. Any suggestions for a powder? What flavors go with which fruit? Does anyone have some recipes to share?

Also, any suggestions for getting my weight loss moving again? I go on 3, 2-4 mile walks per week. Mostly I walk uphill. :)

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Unless skipping lunch is making you overeat during other times of the day, there's no reason you have to eat something.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Real food is better than protein shakes. That said I see your dilemma. I like Xtreme Formulations. You can find it on line. If you're stuck to a store than I'd look at Optimum Nutrition. Both have excellent flavoring. I'd also look at a blended protein (ie not strictly whey) if you're going to use it as a meal replacement. Whey absorbs very quickly and leaves you hungry not much after. Casein, egg, soy, etc are longer digesting proteins and will keep you satiated longer.

As far as your weightloss I'd say up the intensity or duration of your exercise. Start running, start lifting weights, find a recreational sport that stokes your competitive fire, etc.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a weird schedule so that's why I skip lunch. Classes start at 1pm and go till five and I am a graveyard CNA so I usually am sleeping past breakfast so I have about a 500 calorie late breakfast before I leave, 500 cal dinner. and a few low cal snacks inbetween. I think I am getting enough calories....around 1300-1450 per day.

I could try to change my workout a bit. I just really love long walks. :)
  • jsilvernagel
    jsilvernagel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    some of the recipes i use are

chocolate caramel cheesecake .... 1 glass full of ice - 1 cup chocolate light soy milk (it makes it creamier) - 1 teaspoon carmel syrup flavoring - 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder -- 1 teaspoon cheesecake pudding mix and blend together

banana cream pie -- 1 glass full of ice -- 1 cup vanilla light soy milk -- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder -- 1 teaspoon bannana cream pie pudding mix -- 1 banana -- 1 teaspoon toasted marshmallow syrup flavoring ( thats what i used because i only have caramel and toasated marshmellow as of now.. tasted pretty good tho! you could prolly use like a vanilla syrup ..or whatever you like :)

scotharoo -- 1 glass full of ice --1 cup vanilla light soy milk -- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder -- i teaspoon butterscotch pudding mix -- 1 small teaspoon peanut butter (im not a huge fan of peanut butter so i dont add a whole lot) and 1 teaspoon toasted marshmellow syrup flavoring (and again you could use whatever you like)

-- theres alot of ideas you could just experiment with..those are some of the types i like..if your not a fan of soy milk (which i never was..i use to HATE soy milk.. and i still prolly wouldnt drink it plan..it makes the shakes soo much better) you could use skim milk.. ive had some other shakes like a coconut cream pie.. and a snickers .. i havent made these two at home yet..but when they made the snickers for me i know they added peanuts not peanut butter... and the coconut was pretty good if your a coconut fan.. just some ideas :)

what im experimenting with now is just getting a couple different pudding mixes and just kinda mixing up my own..like yesterday i got white chocolate pudding mix.. all i ever add to any shake is just a teaspoon .

-- hope some of these help or give you some ideas :)
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    As an ex athlete I never changed my eating habits since I stopped playing (Due to injuries and wear and tear on the body). I've battled weight loss for years. Excercise is the key but I have to say I've been on the ViSalus Sciences Shake plan since Janyary 9th 2012 and have lost 10lbs so far. I am begining my workout plans next week so the weight should move away from me more rapidly! I replace one meal a day with one shake (Soybased) and I feel great! the biggest gain for me is that my Blood Glucose levels are at near perfect for the first time in 4 years! My goal is to lose at least 40 more pounds this year! At 54 it isn't easy but heck, I need to do it! If you care for more information on the ViSalus challenge let me know! Good luck with any decision you make! You can do it!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I LOVE vanilla Amplify smoothie from GNC. i add a bit of sugar free hershey syrup and some malt powder with ice. YUM! :smile: instant mlikshake!
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    Carry around a protein bar or something like that, try to eat every 3 hours to boost your metabolism.... weight train for the same reasons! I love ON xtreme milk choc. 100% whey for a protein drink