fit by forty???

Options
ok, i have said this before but somehow it feels different this time. its time to sort ME out!!

hi my name is doug and i would just like to share a little about me and ask for your support!! i am 37 (38 in May) and my life has been a bit of a rollercoaster the last few years ending in a divorce. i have and always have been a very confident person and have never let my size (344pounds) stop me doing anything i want! however i have a wonderful 4 year old son who means the world to me and want to be around for him n the future!

a few things have happen recently that has made me consider my own mortality has given me a push to sort myself out!! (two people i know are very ill)

which is why something feels a little different this time around, i have tried and failed many a diet before, however i have always made the choice to do things myself because i know best lol. but i dont know best hence i am 344 pounds!! so i came across MFP and have found it easy to track what i am eating. in the past i have found it hard to count the calories honestly and have cheated a little until the day i dont do it and then quit!! so far i have been logging everything i have been eating (and its quiet a scary thing to do) however the phone app is great and it seems to be helping.

so i thought it was time to stop being pig headed and say hello and ask for help!!

i would welcome any of the more seasoned members to have a look at my food diary and if you have got any hints or tips please give me a shout!

also if any members are from the north nottingham area please give me a shout we maybe able to help each other out!!

Kind regards

Doug

Replies

• pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hi Doug and welcome to MFP. For me half the battle was getting a handle on exactly how much food I ate during a day. If you diligently log your food and exercise, you may think twice about eating something full of sugar and fat when you know how many calories you have left for the day. I never knew how much I was eating and found that on most typical days I was taking in between 3500 to 4000 calories, all the while not exercising and sitting on the couch watching TV. The second thing that has been a godsend for me is the realization if I want to eat more, I just need to go for an hour walk. I typically burn around 600 calories per walk. Eventually I found myself surviving on much less food. You are about where I was when I started last March 21. I've lost 75 pounds so far and have 57 more to go. Thanks for friending me, I am very active here so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
  • lissamok
    Options
    Welcome, Doug! I think it's great that you're taking a serious step towards a healthy lifestyle. I have only been with MFP for a month, but already I have noticed changes in myself. Not just physically, but mentally. I agree that if you are diligent about your logging, you'll gradually eat healthier, more balanced meals.

Feel free to add me. We can take it one step at a time together. :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Doug. I'll be 39 on my next birthday, and I have the same goal in mind to be "fit by forty." No way are you and I entering our forties fat...right? ;) My advice is to log everything, trust MFP and to eat most of your exercise calories. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, and try to enjoy the process. You're probably going to overeat some days and make less than perfect choices at times. I know this, because most of us do. The good news is, you can do those things and still be successful. Don't deprive yourself, and don't aim to be perfect. Aim to do better and to make better choices most of the time. Oh, and drop the word "cheat" completely from your vocabulary. Food -- good and bad -- are a part of life. You may treat yourself or have your planned higher-calorie days (which is a great idea), but as long as you have a nice calorie deficit at the end of the week, you're doing fine.

Good luck. :)
  • doug1974
    Options
    Thanks guys