Need help w/protein

Options
Getting enough protein has always been an issue for me. I'm not a big meat eater yet I'm not a vegetarian at all. I do eat nuts (almonds, mostly), egg whites and sometimes drink protein shakes. What else is there? Almost every day I'm way off on protein and I'm about to start Chalene Extreme (for those of you that know it) so I'm guessing w/trying to build muscle I will need more protein.

Replies

• leanmachinedream
    Options
    I love Fage greek yogurt. I buy the 0% fat, plain, then I add cinnamon to it and use it for dipping my apples.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Add a protein shake everyday after you do ChaLean. You can also add your PB2 into some thing as extra protein. Boil some eggs and eat egg white as a snack or add them onto a salad with chopped up almonds? I seem to do well with protein I'm horrible with watching sugar!

Let me know how you like ChaLean I'm starting on Monday.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas so far. Seems like eggs, yogurt, almonds and protein shakes are the most common. I've got those in my diet now. Can you get to much of them? Like can you eat eggs (whole) every day? I didn't think you should but I am not positive about that. I'm not thrilled about having to drink protein shakes every day or anything either. Hmm, seems there should be more protein rich foods out there that I am totally missing....
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    http://www.howmuchprotein.com/foods/

I have a hard time getting all my protein in as well - check out the website.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary for inspiration. I'm a pescetarian, and I average over 100 grams per day :D
  • 987Runner
    Options
    I've been going over my protein a little everyday. Between almonds, chicken, egg whites and on occasion, peanut butter, I more than meet my goal. I'm having a hard time meeting my carbs because when I try to reach that, I end up going over on grams of sugar. Trying to find balances can be hard! Hope you get some great new suggestions!
  • healthymissh
    healthymissh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since fresh fish can be expensive, I have learned to LOVE (ugh) tuna. I also eat a lot of sardines. Favourite? Sardines on toast - one piece of whole wheat, toasted, with sardines mashed in. Sounds gross, tastes great! With tuna, I use a bit of olive oil and lemon to make a dressing, pepper, and herbs - cilantro is my favourite! I might have it on lettuce, or on a Ryvita cracker or two.

Also? Quinoa, chickpeas, bean salad.... Try legumes!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter or PB2 and Greek yogurt - way more protein in them than other kinds.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary for inspiration.

Mine is open too. :)
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    What percentage of protein, carbs and fats is everyone eating??? 40/40/20??
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat or poultry, so eating enough protein is something I watch closely. You might try mixing into Greek yogurt a serving of higher protein content granola... Bear Naked makes one. I also mix in a few tablespoons of soynuts into hummus or tuna fish salad and have that on crackers for lunch. I also eat a lots of beans (particularly black beans) and chickpeas. Both are super easy and very versatile!
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    Awesome ideas all, keep'em coming :) I never thought about beans. Not a big fan but could add them to my lunch. How much protein should you eat? It seems MFP's figure is low.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I mix whey protein powder in with my soymilk and add strawberries, that gives me 32g of protein.

Also, you can eat cottage cheese (add lemon juice, pepper, tobasco, siracha sauce, or salsa to kick up the flavor with minimal calories) I buy non-fat since it has 14g per cup.

I always go over the MFP protein recommendations...I've seen that you can eat up to 1g per pound of body weight daily.